Chemistry Molar solubility lab questions

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between molar solubility and Ksp (solubility product constant) for calcium hydroxide. Molar solubility refers to the number of moles of Ca(OH)2 that can dissolve in a liter of water, while Ksp is a constant value that does not change with different conditions. The conversation also mentions the effects of adding acid on the solubility of Ca(OH)2 and the difficulty in calculating a theoretical solubility without knowing the Ksp or experimental measurements. The conversation also briefly mentions the use of titration to determine the amount of Ca(OH)2 present in a sample.
Madelin Pierce
Homework Statement
Calculate molar solubility of Ca(OH)2, concentrations of Ca^2+ and OH^-, and Ksp
Relevant Equations
Ksp= s(2s)^2, Ksp= [Ca^2+][OH^-]^2

I’m confused on how to calculate molar solubility because I don’t see what’s the difference between that and Ksp.

Physics news on Phys.org
The solubility of Ca(OH)2 means just number of moles per litre of Ca(OH)2 (equal also to [Ca2+] ) in solution when you mix an excess of solid calcium hydroxide with water and allow it to come to equilibrium, that is allowed all that is ever going to dissolve to do so. (At that temperature).

That refers to calcium hydroxide by itself with water. If you add acid more will dissolve. Because you are removing OH- so displacing an equilibrium. So you could say the solubility of calcium hydroxide changes when you add acid. On the other hand the solubility constant, which is defined in your second equation, is constant, doesn't change according to these circumstances. (It does change with the temperature).

If you knew the solubility constant Ksp you could calculate the solubility from the very broad hint in your first equation. That would be a purely theoretical calculation. (.But now I have reminded you of the difference between solubility and solubility product, you will probably find it better explained in your textbook)

However it looks as if you are trying to calculate something from experimental measurements. I have to guess what this is about, maybe just you have tou determine the total amount of Ca(OH)2 by titration because if I remember it is hygroscopic and not a very good primary standard, so unreliable to do it by weighing? Anyway to calculate anything you would have to either know the Ksp or a measured solubility - it is not very clear to me what the question is.

Last edited:

1. What is molar solubility in chemistry?

Molar solubility refers to the maximum amount of a substance that can be dissolved in a given amount of solvent at a specific temperature. It is typically expressed in moles per liter (mol/L) or molarity (M).

2. How is molar solubility determined in a lab?

In a molar solubility lab, a known amount of solute is added to a fixed amount of solvent and stirred until the solute is fully dissolved. The concentration of the resulting solution is then measured using various techniques, such as titration or spectrophotometry, to determine the molar solubility.

3. What factors affect molar solubility?

The molar solubility of a substance is affected by several factors, including temperature, pressure, and the presence of other solutes. In general, an increase in temperature or pressure can increase the molar solubility, while the presence of other solutes can decrease it.

4. What is the significance of molar solubility in chemistry?

Molar solubility is an important concept in chemistry as it helps determine the solubility of a substance in a particular solvent. It also plays a crucial role in predicting and understanding the behavior of solutions, such as the formation of precipitates or the solubility of drugs in the body.

5. Can molar solubility be changed?

Yes, molar solubility can be changed by altering the conditions of the solution, such as temperature, pressure, or the presence of other solutes. It can also be changed by using different solvents or by manipulating the chemical structure of the solute itself.