Chemistry: Prediction of producs

In summary, the student is trying to figure out how to make products from three reactants and is having trouble with balancing the equations. He is also trying to figure out what product will be made from each reactant and what insoluble salt will be produced.
markelmarcel

Homework Statement

Predict products (and then write formula unit, total ionic unit & net ionic equations)1. Sodium Nitrate, Ammonium sulfate and Iron (III) acetate.

2. Na3PO4 + RbClO3 + Sr(NO3)2

Homework Equations

-----------

The Attempt at a Solution

1. NaNO3 + (NH4)2S + Fe(CH3CO2)3
I just don't know how to decide what parts will be "spectator ions" and how the 3 products will work out... I know it deals with acids and bases, but my prof went through it really fast and I tried reading our textbook but it didn't help very much with the 3 reactants, and he went out of town for a conference so I couldn't ask him for help...

I think that Fe and S will come together to make a precipitate which would be Fe2S3 and then I'm assuming that the NH4CH3CO2 would then combine together, leaving the NaNO3 as the spectator ions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sulfate or sulfide? Sulfide precipitation is a good idea. Similar approach will work for the second question - just think, what combination of ions will produce something insoluble. And don't overdo - ammonium acetate will be just a spectator.

--
methods

Borek said:
Sulfate or sulfide? Sulfide precipitation is a good idea.

ah, touche! it is sulfate- don't know why when i typed it out i made it into sulfide. i was doing my own chemistry ;)

Ok so for the first one I got...

NaNO3 + 3(NH4)2SO4 + 2Fe(CH3CO2)3 [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] Fe2(SO4)3 [/SUB](s) + 6NH4CH3CO2

When I looked up what I had for my solubility rules I found
Na3PO4, RbClO3 and Sr(NO3)2 to all be soluble... So where do I go from here? Randomly place things together??

Iron (III) sulfide is insoluble, but sulfate is soluble. No reaction if you ask me.

In the second question one of the combinations of cation and anion give insoluble salt.

--
methods

Ok I'm still working on balancing but for the second I'm assuming the insoluble salt has to be Sr3(PO4)2

Because PO4 is insoluble, as is Sr (with it being a group II cation).

markelmarcel said:
Ok I'm still working on balancing but for the second I'm assuming the insoluble salt has to be Sr3(PO4)2

Like calcium and barium phosphates and sulfates.

Because PO4 is insoluble, as is Sr (with it being a group II cation).

No such thing as insoluble PO4 - it is PO43- and it never exists without counterion.

--

Related to Chemistry: Prediction of producs

What is the purpose of predicting products in chemistry?

Predicting products in chemistry allows scientists to understand the reactions that take place between different substances and can help to determine the outcome of a reaction. This information is useful for designing experiments and creating new compounds.

How is the prediction of products in chemistry done?

The prediction of products in chemistry is based on the understanding of chemical reactions and the properties of the substances involved. Scientists use knowledge of reaction types, bonding, and molecular structure to make predictions about the products that will be formed.

What factors can influence the accuracy of predicting products in chemistry?

The accuracy of predicting products in chemistry can be influenced by various factors such as the purity of the substances involved, the conditions under which the reaction takes place, and the presence of catalysts or inhibitors. Additionally, human error and limitations in the current understanding of chemistry can also affect the accuracy of predictions.

What are some common methods used to predict products in chemistry?

There are several common methods used to predict products in chemistry, including the use of reaction stoichiometry, balancing equations, and predicting the formation of precipitates or gases. Advanced techniques such as computational chemistry and spectroscopy can also be used for more accurate predictions.

Why is predicting products important in chemistry?

Predicting products in chemistry is important because it allows scientists to make informed decisions about how to manipulate and control reactions. This can lead to the development of new materials, medicines, and technologies that benefit society. It also helps to deepen our understanding of the fundamental principles of chemistry.