Chemistry Question - Which Tests as an Acid Solution?

• Thread starter oceanflavored
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, the question asks which of the given reactions will result in an acid solution when placed in water. The correct answer is (E) as all three reactions will produce an acid solution. The explanation for III is that copper sulfate will hydrolyze in water, resulting in the production of copper oxide and sulfuric acid.
oceanflavored
[SOLVED] chemistry question.

Homework Statement

i'm studying for satII chem & got stuck on this problem. any help would be greatlyyy appreciated.
Which of the following when placed in water will test as an acid solution?
I. HCl (g) + H2O
II. Excess H3O+ + H2O
III. CuSO4 (s) + H2O

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) I and II only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II, and III

Homework Equations

don't think you really need anyyyy.
but the book says the answer is (E).

The Attempt at a Solution

well; I'm totally confused by this problem.
but i know (I) has to be true because HCl = strong acid. but as for the other ones, I'm very lost and would totally appreciate any help at alll.

thanks in advance! :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]H_3O^+[/tex] is also [tex]H^+[/tex]

III. what is the Product? Is either one of the products an acid?

[tex]CuSO_4 (s) + H_2O (l) \rightarrow ?[/tex]

Last edited:
thanks!

ok..thank you so much about the H3O

and as for the CuSO4 (s) + H2O

that's all the book says, there's no product.
their explanation is that the CuSO4 gives off an acid solution when it hydrolyzes in water.
but, i was confused as to how you would know that!

i hope that helps, rocophysics.
and thank you so much for your help!

Even though they don't give you Products, choice III is saying that Copper sulfate and Water react; though it does not explicitly tell you what those Products are.

Reaction III is a Double displacement rxn so

[tex]CuSO_4 (s) + H_2O (l) \rightarrow CuO (s) + H_2SO_4 (aq)[/tex]

rocophysics, you are amazing!
thank you SO much!

1. What is an acid solution?

An acid solution is a type of chemical solution that has a pH level below 7. It is characterized by the presence of hydrogen ions, which makes it capable of donating protons to other substances. Acids can be found in both natural and synthetic sources, and they can have a wide range of properties depending on their concentration and composition.

2. How can you test for an acid solution?

There are several ways to test for an acid solution. One common method is using pH paper or a pH meter, which measures the level of hydrogen ions in a solution. Another way is through the use of acid-base indicators, which change color depending on the pH level of a solution. Additionally, you can perform a titration, where a known amount of a base is added to the acid solution until it reaches a neutral pH.

3. What are some examples of common acid solutions?

Some examples of common acid solutions include lemon juice, vinegar, and battery acid. These solutions contain different types of acids such as citric acid, acetic acid, and sulfuric acid, respectively. Other common acid solutions include hydrochloric acid, nitric acid, and phosphoric acid, which are often used in industrial and laboratory settings.

4. What are the properties of an acid solution?

Acid solutions have several distinguishing properties, including a sour taste, the ability to dissolve certain metals, and the ability to change the color of acid-base indicators. They also react with bases to form salts and water, and they can conduct electricity when dissolved in water. Additionally, acids are typically corrosive and can cause skin irritation, so they should be handled with caution.

5. How are acid solutions used in everyday life?

Acid solutions have numerous practical applications in everyday life. They are used in the production of food and beverages, such as in the fermentation of wine and pickling of vegetables. They are also used in cleaning products, fertilizers, and the production of various chemicals. In medicine, acid solutions are used in processes such as digestion and the production of medications. Additionally, acid solutions play a crucial role in industrial processes such as manufacturing plastics, paper, and metals.