Redox Reaction in Dissolved Ammonium Chloride

In summary, the question posed is whether or not the reaction of ammonium chloride dissolving in water is a redox reaction. The poster provided two possible equations for the reaction, one involving the formation of ammonium ion and hydroxide ion, and the other involving the formation of ammonia and hydrochloric acid. In both cases, the oxidation state of chlorine remains the same, while the oxidation state of hydrogen decreases. Therefore, it can be concluded that this reaction is not a redox reaction.
alphaj
Quick note:
Sorry for dominating the homework help board, guys! But, I wanted to say thank you to everyone who replies to my excessive questions. This forum's input has become integral to me as I am in a position now where I can't go to my teacher for help because of the logistics of commuting :(. SO, THANKS!

Homework Statement

Redox or not? Ammonium chloride, dissolved in water

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I think...when we dissolve, the salt dissociates into its ions.
NH4+Cl---water--> NH4+ + Cl- (If this is the case, no redox.)

But, are we considering some sort of substitution reaction with water's ions?
NH4Cl+H2O = NH4+ + Cl- + H2O = NH4+ + HCl + OH-?
OR
NH4Cl + H2O = NH4 + Cl- + H2O = NH3 + HCl + H2O

I'm not quite sure how this would proceed...But, in both, Cl is not oxidized or reduced. In one, NH4 stays the same (+1 charge). And in one, H2O lost a proton, so it was...reduced?

Physics news on Phys.org
Check the oxidation states of each of the elements before and after the reaction. Do any of them change?

Likes Bystander
I guess my real issue is that I'm not understanding which reaction is happening.

alphaj said:
in one, H2O lost a proton
Did it now?

Is HCl a strong acid or a weak acid? Is NH3 a strong base or a weak base?

TeethWhitener nailed the question about which reaction really takes place.

Whether it is a redox:

alphaj said:
NH4Cl+H2O = NH4+ + Cl- + H2O = NH4+ + HCl + OH-?
OR
NH4Cl + H2O = NH4 + Cl- + H2O = NH3 + HCl + H2O

Does the oxidation number of any of the ELEMENTS involved change?

1. What is a redox reaction?

A redox reaction, short for reduction-oxidation reaction, is a chemical reaction in which there is a transfer of electrons between two species. One species gains electrons and is reduced, while the other species loses electrons and is oxidized.

2. How can you tell if a reaction is a redox reaction?

One way to determine if a reaction is a redox reaction is to see if there is a change in the oxidation states of the reactants and products. If the oxidation state increases, the species is oxidized, and if it decreases, the species is reduced. Another way is to look for the transfer of electrons through the use of half equations.

3. What are some examples of redox reactions?

Some common examples of redox reactions include the reaction of iron with oxygen to form rust (Fe + O2 → Fe2O3), the combustion of fuels such as methane (CH4 + 2O2 → CO2 + 2H2O), and the reaction of sodium with chlorine to form table salt (2Na + Cl2 → 2NaCl).

4. Why are redox reactions important in chemistry?

Redox reactions are important in chemistry because they are involved in many biological and industrial processes. They are also used in batteries and other energy storage devices, as well as in the production of metals and other materials.

5. How do redox reactions relate to the concept of oxidation numbers?

Oxidation numbers, also known as oxidation states, are used to keep track of the transfer of electrons in a redox reaction. In general, the oxidation number of an element increases when it is oxidized and decreases when it is reduced. The change in oxidation numbers can help identify if a reaction is a redox reaction.