[Chemistry] Salt in an acetic acid solution with copper

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of salt in a lab experiment to remove copper oxide from pennies. The main reaction involved vinegar and the addition of salt was believed to speed up the process due to its corrosive properties. The speaker was looking for free literature on the topic but was unable to find any.
bnosam

Homework Statement

Basically I'm doing a lab report where we place copper pennies in a solution of salt and vinegar. This should strip the copper oxide off the outside of the pennies, leaving the copper underneath shiny and looking "new".

The problem is why we add the salt.

Homework Equations

The main reaction is with the copper oxide and the vinegar.

2 C2H4O2 + Cu ===> Cu(C2H3O2)2 + H2

The Attempt at a Solution

I've looked online and I see some people's opinions are that the salt was added so the chlorine in it would combine with some hydrogen to form hydrochloric acid, however, wouldn't the bonds between NaCl be too strong for this to happen in an acid like vinegar?

My guess is that salt somehow speeds this up because it is corrosive to metals?

Physics news on Phys.org
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ed078p513

Borek said:
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ed078p513

Thank you for the link, but is there any free literature on this? It appears that website requires a subscription or that I buy access for the article.

Paper is from the Journal of Chemical Education, check if your library doesn't have it. I am not aware of other papers (doesn't mean they don't exist).

Borek said:
Paper is from the Journal of Chemical Education, check if your library doesn't have it. I am not aware of other papers (doesn't mean they don't exist).

I checked and they don't have any papers by the Journal of Chemistry on file or available in the online library. The best they could do is get me permission to view the paper at a university that has it 2 hours away.

Thanks though!

1. What happens when salt is added to an acetic acid solution with copper?

When salt is added to an acetic acid solution with copper, the salt will dissolve in the solution and the copper will undergo a redox reaction with the acetic acid. This reaction will produce copper acetate and release hydrogen gas.

2. Why does the addition of salt impact the reaction between acetic acid and copper?

The addition of salt changes the ionic strength of the solution, which affects the rate of the redox reaction between the acetic acid and copper. Salt ions also help to stabilize the charged intermediates during the reaction.

3. What is the purpose of using acetic acid in this solution?

Acetic acid acts as a weak acid to protonate the copper ions, making them more reactive in the redox reaction. It also acts as a solvent for the salt and copper ions.

4. How does the concentration of salt affect the reaction?

The concentration of salt in the solution affects the rate of the reaction. Higher concentrations of salt will increase the ionic strength and potentially speed up the reaction, while lower concentrations may slow it down.

5. Is this reaction exothermic or endothermic?

This reaction is exothermic, meaning it releases heat energy. This can be observed by the production of bubbles and the increase in temperature of the solution during the reaction.