Copper (II) salts and SO2: a question

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential use of copper (II) acetate instead of copper (II) chloride in a reaction with SO2 to produce acetic and sulfuric acids. The possibility of SO2 reducing copper (II) acetate to copper (I) acetate and being oxidized to SO3 is also considered. It is noted that the reaction may be halide-specific and that the low solubility of CuCl may drive the reaction. The complexity of the chemistry of copper and sulfite is mentioned, with the outcome depending on various factors such as concentration, temperature, and pH.
JeffEvarts
The reaction below moves left to right (I expect it has an equilibrium somewhere):

SO2(g) + 2 CuCl2(aq) + 2 H2O → H2SO4(l) + 2 HCl(l) + 2 CuCl(aq)
I'm wondering if copper (II) acetate will work in place of copper (II) chloride: producing acetic and sulfuric acids instead of hydrochloric and sulfuric. I can write the equation easily enough:

SO2(g) + 2 Cu(CH3COO)2(aq) + 2 H2O → H2SO4(l) + 2 CH3COOH(l) + 2 CuCH3COO(aq)
But that doesn't mean it will go that way. Will SO2 will reduce copper(II) acetate to copper (I) acetate and in turn be oxidized to SO3? I fear this reaction might be halide-specific, since both iodine and bromine can be used in the direct production of sulfuric acid.

Anyone know if the acetate will work in place of the chloride for this?

Thanks for any tips or pointers.
-Jeff

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Never seen this reaction, but if it goes this way part of the driving force is the low solubility of CuCl.

1. What are Copper (II) salts and SO2?

Copper (II) salts are chemical compounds that contain copper in its +2 oxidation state. SO2, or sulfur dioxide, is a colorless gas that is highly reactive and can be toxic in high concentrations.

2. How are Copper (II) salts and SO2 related?

Copper (II) salts and SO2 can react chemically to form a variety of different compounds, such as copper sulfite or copper sulfate. The specific reaction depends on the conditions and other substances present.

3. What are some common uses for Copper (II) salts and SO2?

Copper (II) salts are often used as catalysts in chemical reactions, as well as in the production of pigments, fungicides, and wood preservatives. SO2 is commonly used in the production of sulfuric acid and as a preservative in winemaking.

4. Are there any potential hazards associated with Copper (II) salts and SO2?

Copper (II) salts and SO2 can both be toxic if ingested or inhaled in high concentrations. They can also cause skin and eye irritation. Proper safety precautions should be taken when handling these substances.

5. How can I learn more about the properties and reactions of Copper (II) salts and SO2?

There are many resources available, such as textbooks and scientific journals, that provide information on the properties and reactions of Copper (II) salts and SO2. You can also consult with a chemist or conduct your own experiments to learn more.