Chemisty-Heat capacity of calorimeter

In summary, 6550 J of electrical heat is added to a constant pressure calorimeter containing 125 grams of water at 22.6 ◦C. The final temperature of the calorimeter is 33.7 ◦C. To calculate the heat capacity of the calorimeter (including the water), the equation Q_{added} = Q_{water} + Q_{calorimeter} can be used. Using the initial and final temperature of the water, along with its mass, the energy used can be calculated. The heat capacity of the calorimeter (including the water) is defined as the amount of heat needed to raise its temperature by 1 degree Celsius.
nwyatt

Homework Statement

6550 J of electrical heat is added to a constant pressure calorimeter containing 125 grams of water at 22.6 ◦C. If the final temperature of the calorimeter is 33.7 ◦C, the heat capacity of the calorimeter (including the water) is:

Homework Equations

I think it is either q=C*[tex]\Delta[/tex]t or q= s*m*[tex]\Delta[/tex]t

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried with the first equation and got 590 Joules/C and on the second I got 5800 Joules/C. Both of these answers were available as choices and I don't quite understand which one I would use and why. If anyone could help explain it would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
If 6550J of energy is added, some of it will be used to heat the water, and some will be used to heat the calorimeter:

[tex]
Q_{added} = Q_{water} + Q_{calorimeter}
[/tex]

Since you know the initial and final temperature of water, along with the mass, you should be able to calculate how much energy it used. Can you see what to do from here?

nwyatt said:
the heat capacity of the calorimeter (including the water)

What is the definition of heat capacity? What it is that you are heating?

--
methods

1. What is heat capacity?

Heat capacity is the measure of how much heat energy is required to raise the temperature of a substance by one degree. It is typically measured in units of joules per degree Celsius (J/°C).

2. What is a calorimeter?

A calorimeter is a scientific instrument used to measure the heat transfer between a reaction or substance and its surroundings. It typically consists of a container, known as the calorimeter vessel, and a thermometer to measure temperature changes.

3. How is heat capacity of a calorimeter determined?

The heat capacity of a calorimeter can be determined by measuring the temperature change of a known amount of water inside the calorimeter when a known amount of heat energy is added or removed.

4. Why is heat capacity of a calorimeter important in chemistry?

The heat capacity of a calorimeter is important in chemistry because it allows us to accurately measure the heat released or absorbed during a chemical reaction or physical process. This information can be used to determine the enthalpy change of a reaction and other thermodynamic properties.

5. How can the heat capacity of a calorimeter be improved?

The heat capacity of a calorimeter can be improved by using materials with higher thermal conductivity, reducing heat loss to the surroundings through insulation, and using a larger volume of water in the calorimeter vessel. Additionally, regular calibration and maintenance of the calorimeter can also improve its accuracy.