Chernobyl Dose Model & Estimates

In summary, a person named Lily is struggling to find dose estimates from the Chernobyl Accident in order to develop a model for dose received. They ask for references and recommendations from others. Another person named Russ asks for the level of schooling this assignment is for, to which Lily responds that it is for an undergraduate thesis project. Another person suggests watching documentaries and points out that people still live in Chernobyl and the radiation levels there are lower than some beaches in South America. Lily thanks them and asks for sources where dose rates in the area and surrounding regions have been published. They also mention that they only need to estimate the initial dose received for their experiments. Several sources are given by others, including reports from the IAEA and OECD's
Lily_94
Hello all,

I've been tasked with developing a model for dose received from the Chernobyl Accident.

I'm struggling a little to find dose estimates from which I can extrapolate back to find the initial dose received. Does anyone have any references that they can point me towards? I believe there was a dose estimate conducted 3 months, 6 months, and possible either 1 or 3 years after the accident but I'm having difficulty finding this data.

In addition, does anyone have any recommendations on how I should develop this model?

Thanks,
Lily

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

What level of schooling is this assignment for?

Hi Russ,

Thank you! I'm currently in my fourth year, and it's for an undergraduate thesis project.

-Lily

If anyone has any sources where dose rates in the area and surrounding regions have been published, please let me know!
-Lily

You should watch the documentary "pandoras promise" and the BBC doc horizon "Is nuclear power safe", the BBC one interviews a Russian scientist who compiled the doses v effects. i believe his research is publicly available.
One thing i will add, interestingly people still live in Chernobyl, and the radiation levels are lower than some beaches in south america!
good luck.

Lily_94 said:
If anyone has any sources where dose rates in the area and surrounding regions have been published, please let me know!
-Lily
The IAEA and various regulatory/research institutions have compiled or issued reports on the Chernobyl event, including the dispersal of radionuclides from the core.
https://www-ns.iaea.org/downloads/rw/meetings/environ-consequences-report-wm-08.05.pdf
https://www.iaea.org/sites/default/files/chernobyl.pdf

Major releases from Unit 4 continued for ten days, and included radioactive gases, condensed
aerosols and a large amount of fuel particles.

Large areas of Europe were affected to some degree by the Chernobyl releases. A total of

more than 200 thousand km2 in Europe were contaminated with radiocaesium (above 0.04
MBq of 137Cs per sq. m) of which 71% is in the three more affected countries, Belarus, Russia

and Ukraine. The deposition was highly heterogeneous; it was strongly influenced by where it
was raining when the contaminated air masses passed. In the mapping of the deposition, 137Cs

was chosen because it is easy to measure and of radiological significance. Most of the
strontium and plutonium radioisotopes were deposited close (less than 100 km) to the reactor
due to their being contained within larger particle sizes.

Many of the more important radionuclides in the releases had short physical half lives, whilst
the long-lived radionuclides were released in smaller amounts. Thus, most of the
radionuclides released by the accident have since long decayed away. The releases of
radioactive iodines caused concern immediately after the accident. Due to the emergency
situation and the short half life of 131I, there were few reliable measurements on the spatial

distribution of deposited radioiodine which is important in determining doses to the thyroid.

Current measurement of 129I may assist in estimating 131I deposition better and thereby

improving thyroid-dose reconstruction.

One could look at basic plume models and see how well they would predict the dispersion and deposition. Many models may be based on a burst release, such that the initial release event is short term, rather than in the case of Chernobyl, the release was over 10 days. Wind direction and speed, and precipitation will add to the inhomogeneity of the dose rate and thus dose.

One can search Google with "IAEA, Chernobyl, dose rates over time" and find plenty of reports. OECD's NEA also has reports.

https://www.oecd-nea.org/rp/chernobyl/
https://www.oecd-nea.org/rp/chernobyl/c04.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Lily_94 said:
-Lily
The IAEA and various regulatory/research institutions have compiled or issued reports on the Chernobyl event, including the dispersal of radionuclides from the core.
https://www-ns.iaea.org/downloads/rw/meetings/environ-consequences-report-wm-08.05.pdf
https://www.iaea.org/sites/default/files/chernobyl.pdf

Major releases from Unit 4 continued for ten days, and included radioactive gases, condensed
aerosols and a large amount of fuel particles.

Large areas of Europe were affected to some degree by the Chernobyl releases. A total of

more than 200 thousand km2 in Europe were contaminated with radiocaesium (above 0.04
MBq of 137Cs per sq. m) of which 71% is in the three more affected countries, Belarus, Russia

and Ukraine. The deposition was highly heterogeneous; it was strongly influenced by where it
was raining when the contaminated air masses passed. In the mapping of the deposition, 137Cs

was chosen because it is easy to measure and of radiological significance. Most of the
strontium and plutonium radioisotopes were deposited close (less than 100 km) to the reactor
due to their being contained within larger particle sizes.

Many of the more important radionuclides in the releases had short physical half lives, whilst
the long-lived radionuclides were released in smaller amounts. Thus, most of the
radionuclides released by the accident have since long decayed away. The releases of
radioactive iodines caused concern immediately after the accident. Due to the emergency
situation and the short half life of 131I, there were few reliable measurements on the spatial

distribution of deposited radioiodine which is important in determining doses to the thyroid.

Current measurement of 129I may assist in estimating 131I deposition better and thereby

improving thyroid-dose reconstruction.

One could look at basic plume models and see how well they would predict the dispersion and deposition. Many models may be based on a burst release, such that the initial release event is short term, rather than in the case of Chernobyl, the release was over 10 days. Wind direction and speed, and precipitation will add to the inhomogeneity of the dose rate and thus dose.

One can search Google with "IAEA, Chernobyl, dose rates over time" and find plenty of reports. OECD's NEA also has reports.

https://www.oecd-nea.org/rp/chernobyl/
https://www.oecd-nea.org/rp/chernobyl/c04.html

Likes e.bar.goum
Thanks a bunch for the references! I will definitely take a look at them in detail.

I should have perhaps clarified; I'm not going to be modelling the dose over time delivered; I simply needed to find the data and then estimate what the initial dose received was (this is what I'm looking for, to be used in experiments). For example, what was the initial, acute dose delivered as a result of Chernobyl in the surrounding area?

Thanks

1. How was the Chernobyl Dose Model created?

The Chernobyl Dose Model was created by a team of scientists and researchers who analyzed data from the Chernobyl nuclear power plant accident in 1986. They used mathematical equations and computer simulations to estimate the radiation doses received by individuals living in the surrounding areas.

2. What factors are taken into account in the Chernobyl Dose Model?

The Chernobyl Dose Model takes into account a variety of factors such as the type of radiation released, distance from the source, weather conditions, and individual behaviors such as diet and occupation. It also considers the amount and type of protective measures taken by the government and individuals.

3. How accurate is the Chernobyl Dose Model?

The Chernobyl Dose Model is considered to be a reliable and accurate estimate of radiation doses received by individuals living in the affected areas. However, it is important to note that it is based on assumptions and data collected after the accident, and may not reflect the exact doses received by individuals at the time of the accident.

4. What are the main uses of the Chernobyl Dose Model?

The Chernobyl Dose Model is primarily used to estimate the health effects of the Chernobyl accident on individuals living in the surrounding areas. It is also used to inform and guide public health policies and decisions regarding radiation exposure and protection.

5. Has the Chernobyl Dose Model been updated since its creation?

Yes, the Chernobyl Dose Model has been updated multiple times since its creation in 1986. With advancements in technology and new data collected over time, scientists continue to refine and improve the model to provide more accurate estimates of radiation doses and health effects.