Chess VS Video Games.... Which Is Easier To Quit?

In summary, Chess is a more intellectual and challenging game than video games. It is not designed to be addictive or to attract people for reasons that do not relate directly to the game. It has a long and storied history, and it is not typically associated with violence or sex.
Bab5space
Personally I think it is chess. Which also makes it relatively safer to play.

Video games are designed to suck up hours of time, while chess, if challenging enough, is such a mental workout that one game is enough.

Both chess and video games can be addictive, but video games are often designed to suck up lots of time and also be addictive.

Chess was neither designed to be addictive nor designed to attract people for reasons that do not relate directly to the game. Nor was it designed to be long on purpose. Nor do the rules change from month to month.

Video games often sell sex and violence, chess does not. So what you play is up to you, and while the gamer is ultimately respinsible for how much time they waste, I do think that chess is less dangerous in this regard.

Since with video games they are designed to take hours on purpose and appeal to the basest desires humans have. Animal even.

Sure gaming might improve your twitch reflexes.Know what else will plus give you a physical stat boost IRL?

Exercise or sports with friends.

Video games rarely give in boosts other than dopamine.

Chess forces you to think fast if you hace a clock timer and make sacrifices, and sports and exercise have benefits that easily carry into other areas of life.

Both translate into real life. Whereas what we use in video gakes rareky ever does.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think a lot of people would find ridiculous the thought that chess is a "waste of time".

Likes russ_watters
Chess is traditionally an interaction with another person, so on one level it is different from the traditional video game versus a computer.

That line is blurred in two ways recently, obviously, so I guess a better question from you would be about a person-versus-computer version of each on our phones/laptops? Could you please clarify?

berkeman said:
Could you please clarify?
Clarify means. . . to make a (statement or situation) less confused and more clearly

comprehensible.
A spell checker might be a bit useful, also. . .
1580276263073.png
. . . might improve your twitch reflexes, to boot . . . . 🤔 . 😛

Likes berkeman
Next up on Which Is Easier To Quit: Gym VS telly.

• Haha
Likes nuuskur, Klystron, berkeman and 2 others
Bab5space said:
Video games often sell sex and violence
Is that true.
I thought it was reverse.
Can you post a reference where a video game is linked to the selling of sex?
Isn't that illegal?

Maybe you are referring to the odd time gamers might meet up to form a relationship.

I can see the violence part, but that is a twisted mentality to the extreme where someone has the address of a gamer and puts a false call into 911, with the police squat team, having to take it seriously, arriving at a player's residence and investigating. Maybe that is the violence you are referring to, but I wouldn't call that selling violence, unless again, you may be referring to police violence on the 911 call.

Please be more specific. General statements do not actually give evidence to an argument.

I think you're being too positive on the merits of chess at the expense of video games.

Bab5space said:
Video games are designed to suck up hours of time, while chess, if challenging enough, is such a mental workout that one game is enough.
One game can also take up hours. A tournament will usually eat up a couple consecutive days. Online blitz is can be addicting too- it's really easy to play game after game when the time control are quick. And don't forget the time players invest in preparation (studying tactics, openings, endings, etc.) outside of play.

Bab5space said:
Nor do the rules change from month to month.
I think being adaptable enough to learn new games and become good at them is a worthwhile skill. To the contrary, in chess, especially in quick time controls, it's often easy to play a full game nearly without thinking, just by relying on intuition and familiarity with similar positions. There's nothing gained by playing such a game.

Bab5space said:
Since with video games they are designed to take hours on purpose and appeal to the basest desires humans have. Animal even.
Depends on the game. Lots of video games involve strategy and critical thinking. Have you played portal?

Bab5space said:
Know what else will plus give you a physical stat boost IRL?

Exercise or sports with friends.
Agreed, this is a good criticism of playing either too much chess or video games. Everything in moderation...
Bab5space said:
Chess forces you to think fast if you hace a clock timer and make sacrifices
In my opinion, video games can test quick thinking every bit as much as chess.

phinds said:
I think a lot of people would find ridiculous the thought that chess is a "waste of time".

"Chess is as elaborate a waste of human intelligence as you could find anywhere outside an avertising agency." said by Philip Marlowe, from The Long Goodbye, by Raymond Chandler.

Both can be addictive.

Chess is discrete and (most) video games are (experientially) continuous. Chess can be fast-paced or leisurely, depending on the clock setting. Many club and coffeehouse chess players are fully socializing while they play, many even more so than most online chess players or video gamers are.

1. What are the main differences between playing chess and playing video games?

The main difference between playing chess and playing video games is the type of mental skills required. Chess is a strategy game that requires critical thinking, planning, and problem-solving skills, while video games often require quick reflexes, hand-eye coordination, and reaction time. Additionally, chess is a turn-based game, while video games are often fast-paced and action-oriented.

2. Which game is easier to learn for a beginner?

This depends on the individual and their personal strengths. Some people may find chess easier to learn because it has a set of rules and strategies that can be applied to every game. On the other hand, video games can have a steep learning curve with complex controls and mechanics. However, others may find video games easier to learn because they are more visually stimulating and offer tutorials and guides.

3. Is one game more addictive than the other?

Both chess and video games can be addictive, but for different reasons. Chess can be addictive because of its intellectual challenge and the desire to improve one's skills. Video games can be addictive due to their immersive and rewarding gameplay, as well as the social aspect of playing with friends. It ultimately depends on the individual's personality and level of self-control.

4. Which game is easier to quit?

This also varies from person to person. Some individuals may find chess easier to quit because it can be played in short, controlled sessions, whereas video games may require longer periods of time to progress and complete tasks. However, others may find video games easier to quit because they can be turned off at any time, while chess may have a more competitive and addictive nature.

5. Are there any health benefits to playing either game?

Both chess and video games have been shown to have potential health benefits. Chess can improve cognitive abilities, such as problem-solving and spatial reasoning, while video games can improve hand-eye coordination and reaction time. However, excessive or unhealthy gameplay in either game can have negative effects on physical and mental health, so it is important to maintain balance and moderation in both.