Chi squared test for data with error

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of chi-squared tests for data fitting, particularly for data with different errors. The notation used in the conversation is unfamiliar and the participants discuss the possibility of transforming the data to fit a normal distribution in order to use a chi-squared test. However, there are concerns about changing the shape of the distribution and its effect on the data.
shadishacker
Hi everyone.

I am totally new to statistics so my question may or may not be simple!
I know that for the data fitting we can do a chi squared test like:
\begin{equation} \chi^2 = \Sigma \frac{(f_{data}-f_{model})^2}{(error_{data})^2}\end{equation}

So I have been doing this for a while, but now I have some data with different error, let's say like:
\begin{equation} f_i = 2 ^{+0.9}_{-0.1}\end{equation}
How should I do the chi squared test for this?! What should I consider as the error? 0.9 ? 0.1?

Physics news on Phys.org
Notation in (2) is unfamiliar. Do you mean range = [1.9, 2.9]?

EnumaElish said:
Notation in (2) is unfamiliar. Do you mean range = [1.9, 2.9]?
yes, it means it can go from 1.9 to 2.9.
But until now, I have used Chi squared test only for normal distributions, which are for instance:
\begin{equation}f_i = 2_{0.1}^{0.1}\end{equation}
i.e. error in both sides are the same.

Hey shadishacker.

The chi-square test you are thinking of is regression based and I'm wondering why you can't transform the variance if it isn't in some standard form.

Usually doing transformations on random variables to get evaluate a test statistic is common and the most used one is standardizing a Normal distribution where you have Z = (X - mu)/sigma.

A similar transformation can be done to get it in the normal chi-square form and inferences based on this transformation can be made.

shadishacker said:
yes, it means it can go from 1.9 to 2.9.
But until now, I have used Chi squared test only for normal distributions, which are for instance:
\begin{equation}f_i = 2_{0.1}^{0.1}\end{equation}
i.e. error in both sides are the same.
I'm still uncomfortable with the notation. What is the significance of "2"? Is it the mean or the median or the mode? In the case of [1.9, 2.9] isn't it possible to re-center the distribution so as to make it symmetric?

I think it means that the mean is 2. and as the distribution is normal, the \begin{equation} \mu^2=0.1\end{equation}
However if the distribution is not normal, then \begin{equation} \mu^2\end{equation} would be different from left and right side of the mean.

chiro said:
Hey shadishacker.

The chi-square test you are thinking of is regression based and I'm wondering why you can't transform the variance if it isn't in some standard form.

Usually doing transformations on random variables to get evaluate a test statistic is common and the most used one is standardizing a Normal distribution where you have Z = (X - mu)/sigma.

A similar transformation can be done to get it in the normal chi-square form and inferences based on this transformation can be made.
Dear Chiro,

So you mean I can change the shape of the distribution to a nomal one?
but is it a right thing to do?
I mean if there are observational points, then doesn't this change the data completely?!

shadishacker said:
Dear Chiro,

So you mean I can change the shape of the distribution to a nomal one?
but is it a right thing to do?
I mean if there are observational points, then doesn't this change the data completely?!
No it does not change the data. Suppose there is a test for determining if a sample is from a normal distribution. Suppose there isn't a test for determining if a sample is from a lognormal distribution. If the data are suspected to be lognormal, what are we going to do? Well, we can "log the data" so as to turn them into data distributed normally. Then apply the normality test. That's possible because the "log" of lognormal is normal. Chiro is suggesting a similar transformation.

1. What is a Chi squared test for data with error?

A Chi squared test for data with error is a statistical test used to determine if there is a significant difference between the expected and observed values of a categorical variable when the data contains errors. It is used to assess the goodness of fit of a model to the data.

2. How does the Chi squared test account for errors in the data?

The Chi squared test for data with error takes into account the variability or uncertainty in the data by incorporating an error term into the test statistic. This error term helps to adjust for any discrepancies between the expected and observed values due to chance or sampling error.

3. What are the assumptions of the Chi squared test for data with error?

The Chi squared test for data with error assumes that the errors in the data are independent and follow a normal distribution. It also assumes that the observed values are counts or frequencies, and that the expected values are based on some theoretical or expected distribution.

4. How is the Chi squared test for data with error different from the regular Chi squared test?

The regular Chi squared test is used for categorical data without any errors, while the Chi squared test for data with error is used for categorical data that contains errors. The Chi squared test for data with error also incorporates an error term into the test statistic, making it more suitable for assessing the goodness of fit of a model to the data.

5. When should I use a Chi squared test for data with error?

A Chi squared test for data with error should be used when analyzing categorical data that contains errors, such as rounding or measurement errors. It is commonly used in research studies and experiments to determine if there is a significant difference between the observed and expected values of a categorical variable.