Chinese Mothers Are Superior (in raising children to competitive Harvard applicants)

In summary: I'm just reading it now.In summary, the article "Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior" discusses the concept of using strict parenting techniques to raise children who are highly competitive and ultimately successful in gaining admission to prestigious universities like Harvard and Stanford. The article cites examples of Chinese mothers who enforce strict rules and expectations for their children, particularly in areas like music and academics. The article also explores the negative effects of such parenting on the child's emotional well-being and relationships. Overall, the article presents a controversial perspective on the role of parenting in shaping a child's success.

Chinese Mothers Are Superior (in raising children to competitive Harvard applicants)

• I disagree

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
ensabah6

Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior

reading the article (I have not read the book)

it is clear that the whole point of piano lessons is to make their daughters look good for Harvard/Stanford/Ivy League admissions.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...528698754.html

Sophia and Louisa, were never allowed to do:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Your link doesn't work, until I read the article I can't judge if this thread has any value. Please correct your link.

This is far too complex an issue, and too relative to be open to a yes/no in this case. No vote.

from personal experience I agree - 90% of all the chinese kids I know went to really good unis... its not so much the mothers as the peer pressure from the close-knit community.

Hang on, didn't we have this exact same topic a little while back?

In fact, from the "Sophia and Louisa, were never allowed to do:" snippet in the OP, it's exactly the same article.

We pronounced it BS once, the only difference is that they've introduced uni's into this post.

jarednjames said:

In fact, from the "Sophia and Louisa, were never allowed to do:" snippet in the OP, it's exactly the same article.

We pronounced it BS once, the only difference is that they've introduced uni's into this post.

Yeah... that does ring a bell.

I'm sure of it, in the original article there was a picture of the family with the two girls playing a piano or something.

Will just have to wait for the right link to see if it's the same one.

jarednjames said:
I'm sure of it, in the original article there was a picture of the family with the two girls playing a piano or something.

Will just have to wait for the right link to see if it's the same one.

I'm not betting against you! :wink:

I will however take a cut of any action if someone else does... :uhh:

My daughter knew this chinses girl, pushed to murder by her overbearing Chinese mother.

"It made me feel so childish, but I suppose that's really what all parents want," the 16-year-old honour student from Overland Park, Kansas, wrote.

"I've been trying... to make them smile, make them feel better, take Esmie off their list of worries and concerns."

Ten days later, she stabbed her mother to death with a knife in an incident that apparently took the mother and daughter through several rooms of their home.

The killing stunned the comfortable middle-class, Middle American community where the Tseng family lived.

Esmie was ranked among the best classical pianists of her age in the state. She got top marks in school. She competed in athletic meetings and was on the debating team.
Read on... She was a sweet kid. Just terrible how she was treated by her parents.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4967340.stm

jarednjames said:

I thought so, thanks.

1. How does the author define "Chinese Mothers"?

The term "Chinese Mothers" refers to a strict and authoritarian parenting style commonly seen in traditional Chinese culture. It emphasizes discipline, high expectations, and academic success as top priorities for children.

2. What evidence does the author provide to support the superiority of Chinese mothers?

The author, Amy Chua, presents her own personal experiences and observations as a Chinese mother, as well as anecdotal evidence from other Chinese parents. She also cites studies that show higher academic achievement and success among Chinese students compared to their Western counterparts.

3. Is the author suggesting that all Chinese mothers are superior parents?

No, the author acknowledges that there are drawbacks to this parenting style and that it may not work for every child or family. She also recognizes that there are successful parents from all cultures and that there is no one "superior" way to raise a child.

4. How does the author address criticism that her methods are too strict and harsh?

The author defends her parenting style by explaining that it is rooted in her cultural background and the desire to see her children succeed. She also acknowledges that it may not be suitable for every child and encourages parents to find a balance that works for their family.

5. Are there any potential negative effects of the "Chinese Mother" parenting style?

While this parenting style may lead to academic success, it can also have negative effects on a child's emotional well-being and relationships. It may also perpetuate harmful stereotypes and put excessive pressure on children to constantly achieve and perform.

Back