Chirality for massive neutrinos - right neutrinos - Majorana

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between chirality and helicity for massive neutrinos. The approximate equivalence between the two for light masses is mentioned, and the possibility of right-handed neutrinos existing in a "beam" of left-handed ones is also considered. However, the observation of these right-handed neutrinos is rare due to their tiny masses and the suppression of relevant processes.
chym
My question concerns the chirality vs helicity for massive neutrinos.
I know that as the mass is really light we can usually approximate helicity = chirality.
But I would like to consider the exact case with the mass :
i.e left handed (chirality )neutrino propagates with both left and right helicity (if boost).
So it means that right (helicity) neutrinos exist in a "beam" of left chiral neutrinos...
If neutrinos are Majorana, these neutrinos with right helicity could interact exactly as right anti-neutrino are doing... So why this has not been already observed ? I know double beta decay is searched for that, but in more simple processes... like inverse beta decay ?
thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Neutrino masses are really really tiny. The processes you mention, where you can observe the Majorana nature, are suppressed by the chirality flip so roughly ##(m_\nu/E)^2## where ##E## is a relevant energy scale, usually of order weak scale. This makes such processes exceedingly rare.

1. What is chirality in the context of massive neutrinos?

Chirality refers to the property of a particle having a specific handedness or spin orientation. In the case of massive neutrinos, chirality is used to describe the behavior of neutrinos as they interact with other particles and fields.

2. What are right neutrinos?

Right neutrinos, also known as sterile neutrinos, are hypothetical neutrinos that do not interact with the weak nuclear force. They are predicted by some theories to exist alongside the three known types of neutrinos (electron, muon, and tau).

3. What is the significance of right neutrinos in the study of neutrino masses?

Right neutrinos are important in the study of neutrino masses because they are predicted to be very heavy, potentially providing an explanation for the small masses of the known neutrinos. Additionally, their existence could have implications for understanding cosmological phenomena such as dark matter and the matter-antimatter imbalance in the universe.

4. What is the difference between Majorana and Dirac neutrinos?

Majorana and Dirac are two different types of neutrinos, differentiated by their properties under the charge-parity (CP) transformation. Majorana neutrinos are their own antiparticles, while Dirac neutrinos have separate particle and antiparticle states. The distinction between the two types has implications for the nature of neutrino masses and their interactions.

5. How are scientists studying the properties of massive neutrinos and their chirality?

Scientists study the properties of massive neutrinos and their chirality through a variety of methods, including experiments such as the Double Chooz and Daya Bay experiments, as well as theoretical frameworks such as the Standard Model of particle physics and extensions of it. These studies aim to better understand the fundamental properties of neutrinos and their role in the universe.