Chirality of Naproxen: Explaining With CIP Rules

• Thread starter miniradman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chirality
In summary, the conversation discusses determining the chirality of a molecule using the CIP rule and the confusion around applying it to a specific molecule. The potential chiral center is identified and the priorities of the groups attached to it are discussed. The conversation also touches on the concept of multiple bonds being counted as equivalent number of single bonds in determining priority.
miniradman

Homework Statement

determine and explain its chirality using the CIP rule
*see attached image*

Homework Equations

CIP rules

The Attempt at a Solution

Hello

I've determined that the stereocenter of this molecule is at the carbon where the carboxyl group meets the two benzene rings.

I've done step one and rotated the stereocenter such that the hydrogen is facing back. However when deciding the priorities of the three constituents on the stereocenter I get a little confused.

When going down the chain, towards the aromatic rings that I'll encounter a double bond. I tried reading how these fit in with the CIP rules but I find them to be quite ambiguous.

And with the carboxyl group, when going down the chain, which direction do I have to go? Down the hydroxyl group on the double bonded oxygen? I

Thanks
- miniradman

Attachments

• naproxen.jpg
    naproxen.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 2,376
Physics news on Phys.org
You have identified the correct chiral center. These are the three groups I see.

Methyl
Ring
Carboxylic acid

I do not know what CIP rules are.

Last edited:
Cahn–Ingold–Prelog

Your chiral carbon is attached to:

1) A hydrogen.
2) A carbon which is attached to 3 or so oxygen atoms (because m.ultiple bonds are counted as equivalent number of single bonds, from memory)
3) a carbon which is attached to 3 carbon atoms (same as above).

Can you do it now?

Yanick said:
Your chiral carbon is attached to:

1) A hydrogen.
2) A carbon which is attached to 3 or so oxygen atoms (because m.ultiple bonds are counted as equivalent number of single bonds, from memory)
3) a carbon which is attached to 3 carbon atoms (same as above).

Can you do it now?
Well since oxygen has a higher atomic number than carbon, I assume the carboxyl group has more priority.

However, intuitively, if I were to have another single aromatic ring in place of the carboxyl group, how would I go about going down the branches? Which would then be of highest priority? I get confused on where to go once you start having to decide which branch to take.

What is chirality?

Chirality refers to the property of a molecule to exist in two non-superimposable mirror image forms, known as enantiomers. These enantiomers have the same chemical and physical properties, but differ in their interactions with other chiral molecules.

What is Naproxen?

Naproxen is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) commonly used as a pain reliever and anti-inflammatory medication. It is often prescribed for conditions such as arthritis, menstrual cramps, and acute injuries.

What are the CIP Rules?

The Cahn-Ingold-Prelog (CIP) rules are a set of guidelines used to assign priorities to the substituents attached to a chiral center. These rules are based on the atomic number of the substituents and are used to determine the R/S configuration of a chiral molecule.

How does chirality affect the properties of Naproxen?

The chirality of Naproxen affects its pharmacological properties, as the two enantiomers of Naproxen may have different interactions with the enzymes and receptors in the body. This can result in differences in potency, efficacy, and side effects between the enantiomers.

Why is it important to understand the chirality of Naproxen?

Understanding the chirality of Naproxen is important because it can affect the effectiveness and safety of the medication. In some cases, one enantiomer may be more effective or have fewer side effects than the other. Additionally, the FDA requires drug companies to test and report the effects of individual enantiomers in order to ensure the safety and efficacy of medications.