Chosing air blowers to force air through a solar heat storage array

Salah
hi guys:
i plan to make solar collector using rectangular hollow steel bar 4×8cm filled with gravel as heat storage and blow air through it and direct that air as preheated for gas combustion oven to reduce gas consumption .can i use a normal fan or it has to a blower?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome, @Salah !

Do you know how much air will need to flow through one of the hollow steel bars?
How long each?
Vertical or horizontal?
What size stone?

I am assuming that you will have some of those in parallel.

Salah said:
i plan to make solar collector using rectangular hollow steel bar 4×8cm filled with gravel as heat storage and blow air through it and direct that air as preheated for gas combustion oven
Can you upload a dimensioned sketch of your proposed system? That would help a lot, thanks.

(Use "Attach files" to upload a PDF or JPEG image)

1. What factors should I consider when choosing an air blower for a solar heat storage array?

When selecting an air blower for a solar heat storage array, consider the airflow rate, pressure requirements, efficiency, noise levels, and durability of the blower. The airflow rate and pressure must match the system's specifications to optimize the heat transfer efficiency. Additionally, look for blowers that are energy-efficient to minimize operational costs and ensure they are robust enough to withstand the environmental conditions associated with solar applications.

2. How do I calculate the required airflow rate for my solar heat storage array?

To calculate the required airflow rate, you need to consider the volume of the storage medium, the desired temperature rise, and the specific heat capacity of the air. The basic formula is Q = m * Cp * ΔT, where Q is the heat energy transferred, m is the mass flow rate of the air, Cp is the specific heat capacity of air, and ΔT is the temperature difference. From this, you can derive the necessary airflow rate to achieve the desired thermal output.

3. What are the benefits of using a variable speed blower in a solar heat storage system?

Using a variable speed blower in a solar heat storage system offers several benefits, including improved energy efficiency, better control over airflow rates, and reduced wear and tear on the blower. This adaptability allows the system to respond dynamically to varying solar input and storage conditions, optimizing the system's performance and potentially extending the lifespan of the blower.

4. Are there specific types of blowers that are more suitable for solar heat storage applications?

Centrifugal blowers are often preferred for solar heat storage applications due to their ability to generate higher pressures and maintain a consistent airflow, which is crucial for effective heat transfer. Additionally, they are generally more durable and can handle larger volumes of air, making them suitable for large-scale solar heating systems.

5. How does the design of the solar heat storage array affect the choice of air blower?

The design of the solar heat storage array significantly impacts the choice of air blower. Factors such as the size of the array, the configuration of the heat storage medium, and the resistance to airflow all influence the required specifications of the blower. A more complex or larger array might require a blower with higher capacity and pressure capabilities. It's essential to analyze the specific resistance and ductwork design of the array to select a blower that can effectively overcome these challenges.