Christchurch Earthquake - February 2011

• Thread starter StevieTNZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earthquake
Jane were both in Christchurch during the devastating 2011 earthquake. Dave recalls waking up and rushing to watch the news, while Jane visited a few years later and was impressed by the innovative container shops. Now, years later, they both see signs of life returning to the city. In summary, the conversation highlights personal experiences and observations of how Christchurch has changed before, during, and after the earthquake, as well as the resilience and rebuilding efforts of the city.
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
I visited a few years ago. Really shocked at how devastated the city was. I thought the container shops were really a good idea.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I visited a few years ago. Really shocked at how devastated the city was. I thought the container shops were really a good idea.

my last visit was last Christmas. My son and daughter still live there ... it is good to see lots of life coming back to the central city area :smile:

Dave

What caused the Christchurch Earthquake in February 2011?

The Christchurch Earthquake in February 2011 was caused by a rupture on the previously unknown Greendale Fault, located near the city of Christchurch in New Zealand. This fault was triggered by the ongoing tectonic activity in the region, where the Australian and Pacific tectonic plates collide.

What was the magnitude of the Christchurch Earthquake in February 2011?

The magnitude of the Christchurch Earthquake in February 2011 was recorded as 6.3 on the Richter scale. This was a relatively strong earthquake that caused significant damage to buildings and infrastructure in the city.

How long did the Christchurch Earthquake in February 2011 last?

The main shaking from the Christchurch Earthquake in February 2011 lasted for around 10-15 seconds. However, the aftershocks continued for months afterwards, with some lasting for up to two minutes.

How many casualties were there from the Christchurch Earthquake in February 2011?

The Christchurch Earthquake in February 2011 resulted in 185 fatalities and over 1,500 injuries. It was the deadliest natural disaster in New Zealand in over 80 years.

What were the economic impacts of the Christchurch Earthquake in February 2011?

The Christchurch Earthquake in February 2011 had a significant economic impact, with an estimated cost of over 40 billion NZ dollars. This was due to the widespread damage to buildings, infrastructure, and the disruption to businesses and tourism in the area.