Circle inside of circles

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving three circles in a closest possible packing inside an equilateral triangle. The question is about finding the size of a smaller circle that would fill in the space between the larger circles. The conversation references ideas such as calculus and Descartes' theorem to solve the problem. Eventually, the radius of the small inner circle is found to be ~0.46 units.
klawlor419
Hi -- Thinking about the problem, where I have three circles in a closest possible packing inside an equilateral triangle. So two circles on the floor, adjacent to each other touching and a third circle placed on top so that the distances off their centers from each other are all 2R, R=Radius.

What I am want to know is the size of the circle that would maximally fill in the space between the three larger circles. Any ideas? I'm thinking calculus min or maximization problem.

Any references, ideas or pointers appreciated.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Sketch it out as coordinate geometry:
If you have already solved for the radius of the three circles - then these will define three points on the inner circle and thus the circle itself can be found.

i.e. the inner circle you are finding is centered at (0,0), and the upper circle is centered at (0,y), and has radius r, then the radius of the inner circle is y-r

Simon -- Thanks for the response. So I got that the radius of the small inner circle turns out to be, r=2Sqrt[3]-3. I'm not sure if this is correct but the number seems to make sense. Turns out ~.46 units as opposed to the outer spheres which I assumed to be 1 unit radii.

ratio(outer:inner)=(2/3)Sqrt[3]-1

Can this be confirmed? Thanks again

You might want to look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Descartes'_theorem]Descartes'[/PLAIN] Theorem. Or you could draw a bunch of line segments (such as those connecting the centres of the circles and the radii tangent to the triangle) and apply the Law of Cosines a bunch of times to find it after assuming that the system has 3-fold rotational symmetry, which works similarly well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whovian -- Thanks. Who would have thought such a seemingly simple problem, has such a deep history. Thanks for the pointer.

... but without seeing your working, we cannot really comment.

What is a circle inside of circles?

A circle inside of circles is a geometric shape that is created when multiple circles are placed inside of each other, with the same center point. The resulting shape resembles a target or a bullseye.

How is a circle inside of circles formed?

A circle inside of circles is formed by starting with one central circle, and then drawing additional circles around it, each with a radius smaller than the previous one. The number of circles and their sizes can vary.

What is the mathematical formula for finding the radius of a circle inside of circles?

The formula for finding the radius of a circle inside of circles is r = R/n, where R is the radius of the outer circle and n is the number of circles inside. This formula assumes that the circles are all evenly spaced and have the same center point.

What are some real-life examples of circle inside of circles?

One real-life example of circle inside of circles is the design of a dartboard. Another example is the structure of an onion, with its layers of circles inside each other. Additionally, the Olympic rings logo features five circles inside of each other.

What are some applications of circle inside of circles in science?

Circle inside of circles have various applications in science, including optics, physics, and biology. In optics, they can be used to represent the path of light through different lenses. In physics, they can represent the orbits of planets around the sun. In biology, they can represent the structure of cells and their organelles.