Solving Semi-circle Inside Triangle Geometry Problem

In summary: It is not surprising that it gets things wrong, but it would be nice to see it get things right more often.
mathman
Science Advisor
TL;DR Summary
AI cannot do geometry!
Gave following to bing chat and chatgpt, Both gave wrong answers. Any thoughts?
------------------------------
Geometry problem: Semi-circle inside triangle: Triangle with known length sides a, b, c where a is the longest. Place inside the triangle a semi-circle with entire diameter resting on side a, which is horizontal. The arc of the semicircle is maximum possible inside the triangle.
Known - triangle dimensions. Unknown r (semi-circle arc radius) and x (distance along a from left end of a to center of diameter). Find equations for r and x In terms of all possible triangles.

Computer science news on Phys.org
You'll likely need to wait for the Wolfram Alpha plugin to get out of early access for more confident math results.

Likes dsaun777, Wrichik Basu and russ_watters
mathman said:
TL;DR Summary: AI cannot do geometry!

Any thoughts?
Certainly, despite the "AI" claim, ChatGPT doesn't have any.

Likes aaroman, DaveE and russ_watters
There are over a dozen threads here of the form "ChatGPT gets this wrong!" "And this!" "And this too!". To me the surprise isn't that it gets things wrong; it's that it sometimes gets them right.

Maybe it would be best to consolidate all these threads.

Likes aaroman, Demystifier, Motore and 5 others
Vanadium 50 said:
There are over a dozen threads here of the form "ChatGPT gets this wrong!" "And this!" "And this too!". To me the surprise isn't that it gets things wrong; it's that it sometimes gets them right.
I'd like to say I was surprised by the surprise, but it's easy to get swept up in the hype. After learning the basics of how it works though, I share your take. Maybe when linked to real knowledge sources/tools (like Wolfram Alpha) it will have some reliability.

I detect a similarity between ChatGPT hype and the words emitted by a used car salesman. :eek:

Likes Bystander and russ_watters
Except that used car salesmen occasionally have actual cars.

Likes aaroman, russ_watters and Philip Koeck
My question requires analytic geometry. AI (chatgpt or Bingchat) don;t have it.

I asked the AI to give my life purpose, and it didn't know how. I was so disappointed. :rolleyes:

• Haha
Likes pinball1970
mathman said:
My question requires analytic geometry. AI (chatgpt or Bingchat) don;t have it.
If you want to be more systematic in testing their capabilities, you should try first asking them elementary questions about the constructions in your problem, and then gradually make the task more difficult.

Greg Bernhardt said:
You'll likely need to wait for the Wolfram Alpha plugin to get out of early access for more confident math results.
why wait https://www.wolframalpha.com/downloads.

ChatGPT is easily confused with operators in math as a large language model.

I don't think ChatGPT can do geometry, although it can do very simple arithmetics.

If enough people put a proof on the web, ChatGPT can echo it back.

In the words of John Entwistle:

Everything I do has been done before
Every sentence in my head,
Someone else has said.

1. Can ChatGPT solve geometry problems?

Yes, ChatGPT can solve geometry problems by using its natural language processing abilities and accessing a database of mathematical formulas and principles.

2. How accurate is ChatGPT in solving geometry?

The accuracy of ChatGPT in solving geometry problems depends on the complexity of the problem and the quality of the data it has been trained on. It may not be as accurate as a human mathematician, but it can provide reliable solutions.

3. Can ChatGPT draw geometric shapes and diagrams?

No, ChatGPT is a language model and does not have the ability to draw or create visual representations of geometric shapes and diagrams.

4. Is ChatGPT capable of solving advanced geometry problems?

Yes, ChatGPT can solve advanced geometry problems as long as it has been trained on a wide range of mathematical concepts and principles.

5. How can I use ChatGPT to learn geometry?

You can use ChatGPT to learn geometry by asking it questions and practicing solving problems with its help. However, it is always recommended to also seek guidance from a teacher or use other educational resources for a comprehensive understanding of the subject.