Circuit Analysis of a diagram with series and parallel circuits

In summary, you need to calculate the potential drop across R1 before proceeding with the other calculations.
joshqg
Homework Statement
Find the current through and potential drop across each resistors
Relevant Equations
It=Vt/Req
I found the Req which is 13.6 and also found the It which is 0.74. I'm having trouble finding the separate current and potential difference numbers.
circuit analysis.png

Physics news on Phys.org
What circuit laws have you learned? Any particular circuit analysis techniques?

Your Req is correct (well, I would keep more significant figures for more calculations). So now you know the current drawn from the 10V supply. That current flows through R1, so that gives you all you need to know about R1. Now calculate the Req for the resistors past R1 so you can see how the current divides between the two branches, and keep on going with the calculation. Please show your detailed work so we can keep checking it. Good so far! :smile:

berkeman said:
Your Req is correct (well, I would keep more significant figures for more calculations). So now you know the current drawn from the 10V supply. That current flows through R1, so that gives you all you need to know about R1. Now calculate the Req for the resistors past R1 so you can see how the current divides between the two branches, and keep on going with the calculation. Please show your detailed work so we can keep checking it. Good so far! :smile:
For I1 can I use 10V or do I need to find V1 by using the current I found? Also, to find Req for the other resistors do I need to add the 10 ohm and 5 ohm resistors and then solve the Req using the two parallel?

gneill said:
What circuit laws have you learned? Any particular circuit analysis techniques?
We've learned Kirchhoff's laws.

You've found the current that the 10 V supply delivers to the equivalent resistance of the network.
1578623693760.png

So you know that this current must be flowing though R1. What's the potential drop across R1? So what then is Va:
1578623835600.png

If you know Va, what's the current through R2 and R3+R4? And their potential drops?

gneill said:
You've found the current that the 10 V supply delivers to the equivalent resistance of the network.
View attachment 255387
So you know that this current must be flowing though R1. What's the potential drop across R1? So what then is Va:
View attachment 255388
If you know Va, what's the current through R2 and R3+R4? And their potential drops?
The potential drop off across R1 is 3.7 V. The current through R2 is 0.185. The current through R3+4 is 0.25

joshqg said:
The potential drop off across R1 is 3.7 V. The current through R2 is 0.185. The current through R3+4 is 0.25
Your potential drop across R1` is okay, but the other current values do not look good. What are you taking as the potential at node Va? It's certainly not the potential drop across R1!

1. What is the purpose of circuit analysis?

Circuit analysis is used to understand and analyze the behavior of electrical circuits. It helps in determining the voltage, current, and power in different components of the circuit.

2. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the components are connected in a single loop, whereas in a parallel circuit, the components are connected in multiple branches. In a series circuit, the current remains the same throughout, while in a parallel circuit, the voltage remains the same.

3. How do you calculate the total resistance in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the total resistance is simply the sum of all individual resistances. This can be calculated by using the formula: Rt = R1 + R2 + R3 + ..., where Rt is the total resistance and R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances.

4. What is the purpose of using a parallel circuit?

Parallel circuits are used to power multiple components at the same voltage. This allows for different components to have different levels of resistance and still receive the same voltage, making it useful for powering different devices at once.

5. How do you calculate the total current in a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the total current is divided between the different branches, but the voltage remains the same. To calculate the total current, you can use the formula: It = I1 + I2 + I3 + ..., where It is the total current and I1, I2, I3, etc. are the individual currents in each branch.