Circuit breakers trip on *power* overload?

In summary, circuit breakers are rated in amps and the mechanism by which (in the US) breakers function is magnetic response to current carried. Magnets then open electrical contacts. Fuses, incidentally, also melt because of the current through them. The trip current is chosen to limit the power delivered to the rest of the circuit because the voltage is known (e.g. 120V rms in the US) but mostly to limit the current traveling through the wires in flammable walls.
GregJ7
TL;DR Summary
Do circuit breakers trip on too many amps or too many volt-amps?
Old style electrical panels protected residential circuits with fuses which tripped (and were destroyed) when the internal wire got too hot and melted. What is it exactly that causes a modern residential circuit breaker to trip? They are rated by amps, but heat correlates to power (volts x amps), not amps. Should I understand their rating as a measure of VA at a particular voltage? (I am trying to understand what is going on inside breakers with either 120V and 240V running through them.)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Circuit breakers are rated in amps and the mechanism by which (in the US) breakers function is magnetic response to current carried. Magnets then open electrical contacts. Fuses, incidentally, also melt because of the current through them. The trip current is chosen to limit the power delivered to the rest of the circuit because the voltage is known (e.g. 120V rms in the US) but mostly to limit the current traveling through the wires in flammable walls. For instance if you have 14 gauge wiring you don't want more than 15 amps in it for any appreciable time.

Likes russ_watters and GregJ7
GregJ7 said:
Summary:: Do circuit breakers trip on too many amps or too many volt-amps?

What is it exactly that causes a modern residential circuit breaker to trip?

1627570375654.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circuit_breaker

• Informative
Likes dlgoff, Klystron and anorlunda
hutchphd said:
Circuit breakers are rated in amps and the mechanism by which (in the US) breakers function is magnetic response to current carried. Magnets then open electrical contacts. Fuses, incidentally, also melt because of the current through them. The trip current is chosen to limit the power delivered to the rest of the circuit because the voltage is known (e.g. 120V rms in the US) but mostly to limit the current traveling through the wires in flammable walls. For instance if you have 14 gauge wiring you don't want more than 15 amps in it for any appreciable time.
I find it hard to believe that a 15 amp fuse would trip with a 20 amps through it at 1 picovolt. Thanks for the info about it being magnetically tripped.

GregJ7 said:
I find it hard to believe that a 15 amp fuse would trip with a 20 amps through it at 1 picovolt.
A metal fuse has resistance and so drops a voltage proportional to the circuit current.
That voltage is small compared with the supply voltage. It is greater than 1 mV.
For a sufficiently high current, W = I²·R, heats and then melts the wire, which opens the circuit.

The breaker is in the circuit as a series element. The circuit would not draw 20 amps at 1 pV because the breaker is not an ideal element (it has some reisistence) and requires some minimal power to operate, but that was not your question.
You objection is both true and irrelevant !

The explanation of
GregJ7 said:
I find it hard to believe that a 15 amp fuse would trip with a 20 amps through it at 1 picovolt.
Forget the voltage. The fusible strip has some resistance R. The heat dissipated in a section of wire with resistance R is I2R. So given the R and the trip current I, that tells the designers how much heat should trip it. Then they select materials with a low melting point to match. (That's one approach, there are others.)

Fine tuning is done by adjusting the width of the fusible part to a narrow neck, shown schematically in the picture below. The narrower the neck, the more resistance per unit length. Sometimes in glass fuses, you can see the neck.

1627573615521.png
1627573796656.png

Likes GregJ7
I really like the picture posted by @berkeman . The label 8 in the picture shows the arc divider/extinguisher. That is what makes it different than a switch. A circuit breaker expects that an arc will form between the contacts as they begin to open. An arc carries current so that can defeat the purpose of shutting off the current. A circuit breaker, but not a switch, has special parts designed to get rid of the arc as quickly as possible.

A normal switch does not expect, nor can it handle, significant arcing.

• Informative
Likes Klystron and berkeman
Thanks all. I see my problem was imagining the resistance of a thin-wire fuse being much lower than it actually would be.

Likes hutchphd and berkeman
Not to split hairs, but I think an uninformed reader (maybe that's me?) could come away from this thread with the wrong impression about how typical domestic circuit breakers work. They do have a magnetic component for large instantaneous overloads, but they also typically have a thermal mechanism for smaller, sustained overloads. both are really required for the best combination of protection and non-nuisance operation.

• Informative
Likes russ_watters, berkeman and hutchphd
Dullard said:
They do have a magnetic component for large instantaneous overloads, but they also typically have a thermal mechanism for smaller, sustained overloads. both are really required for the best combination of protection and non-nuisance operation.
Correct. Here is the Wikipedia text that describes the picture @berkeman posted in #3
  1. Actuator lever - used to manually trip and reset the circuit breaker. Also indicates the status of the circuit breaker (On or Off/tripped). Most breakers are designed so they can still trip even if the lever is held or locked in the "on" position. This is sometimes referred to as "free trip" or "positive trip" operation.
  2. Actuator mechanism - forces the contacts together or apart.
  3. Contacts - allow current when touching and break the current when moved apart.
  4. Terminals
  5. Bimetallic strip - separates contacts in response to smaller, longer-term overcurrents
  6. Calibration screw - allows the manufacturer to precisely adjust the trip current of the device after assembly.
  7. Solenoid - separates contacts rapidly in response to high overcurrents
  8. Arc divider/extinguisher

My curiosity was aroused, so I found a 15 amp 120 volt Square D circuit breaker in my electrical stuff box, and connected it to a power supply. At 3.1 amps through the breaker, the voltage across the breaker was 0.051 volts measured at the breaker. That's a resistance of 0.016 ohms. The voltage across the breaker would be 0.25 volts at 15 amps, so the power dissipated in the breaker would be 3.7 watts at 15 amps.

That amount of heat would eventually make the breaker warm to the touch.

• Informative
Likes hutchphd, GregJ7 and berkeman
anorlunda said:
The label 8 in the picture shows the arc divider/extinguisher.
Brings back memories of the "puffer breakers" I've seen in substations.
sf6 C.B.jpg

Likes anorlunda and hutchphd

1. Why do circuit breakers trip on power overload?

Circuit breakers are designed to protect the electrical system from overloading, which can lead to overheating and potential fires. When too much power is drawn through a circuit, the circuit breaker will trip to prevent damage to the system.

2. How do I know if my circuit breaker has tripped due to power overload?

If your circuit breaker has tripped due to power overload, you will likely experience a loss of power in the affected area. You may also hear a clicking sound coming from the circuit breaker panel. Additionally, the switch on the tripped breaker will be in the "off" position.

3. Can I reset a circuit breaker that has tripped due to power overload?

Yes, you can reset a circuit breaker that has tripped due to power overload. However, it is important to first identify the cause of the overload and address it before resetting the breaker. If the overload was caused by a faulty appliance, it should be unplugged or repaired before resetting the breaker.

4. How can I prevent circuit breakers from tripping due to power overload?

To prevent circuit breakers from tripping due to power overload, it is important to be mindful of the amount of power being drawn through each circuit. Avoid plugging too many high-wattage appliances into the same circuit, and consider spreading out the use of these appliances throughout the day. It is also important to regularly check and maintain your electrical system to ensure it is functioning properly.

5. Is it dangerous if circuit breakers trip frequently due to power overload?

Frequent tripping of circuit breakers due to power overload can indicate an underlying issue with the electrical system, such as outdated wiring or faulty appliances. While it may not be immediately dangerous, it is important to address the issue to prevent potential hazards in the future. It is recommended to consult a licensed electrician for assistance in identifying and resolving the cause of frequent tripping.