Circuit Theory Problem - Current and Charge

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve a problem involving finding q(t) using the integral relationship with i(t). The different approaches to solving the problem are discussed, including using differential equations and sketching the graph of accumulated charge vs. time. It is recommended to first sketch the graph before using mathematical techniques.
aflyingcougar

Homework Statement

P 1.2-4
92sxXBw.jpg

Homework Equations

I know that i(t) [current w/respect to time] = dq/dt. I also know that by the previous equation, q(t) = ∫i(τ) from -∞ to t (sec).

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand simpler problems involving finding q(t) by using the integral relationship with i(t), but for this problem, I am confused on how to set my bounds for integration.

My guess would be to integrate i(t) from t = 2 to 8 because that is the domain in which i doesn't equal zero. However, based on the answer (bottom of picture) I see the answer is in terms of t seconds. This is what is confusing me. I don't see how to solve this without just getting an integer. So, I guess my problem is that I don't know how to set up the integration.

Can someone help explain to me how you would decide to set up the integration to find q(t) ? Thanks..I really am trying to understand this.

Physics news on Phys.org
For this problem, it's an indefinite integral.

For example, i(t) for 2 < t < 4 is 2
q(t) = ∫i(t)dt = ∫2dt = 2t + C for 2 < t < 4

Evaluate at q(2) to find C.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
As written: it is asking for the total charge that has entered the circuit element after t=0 - not the instantaneous charge entering at some time t. But that is not what the answer seems to be showing.

I'd do this as a series of DEs ... i.e. for
0<t<2 dq1/dt = 0 so q1=?
2<t<4 dq2/dt = 2 so q2=?

As jz92wjaz you can do this as an indefinite integral and use the boundary conditions to find the values of the constants of integration. i.e. does q1(t=2)=q2(t=2) ??

You could probably also do this by sketching the i(t) graph and finding the areas geometrically.

Likes 1 person
Thank you so much. This makes sense. It's been a while since I've practiced calculus. There is one more thing I don't understand. How and why would I pick to evaluate q(2) to find the c in q2 = 2t + c. If the bounds on the piece wise function remain the same, it appears that q(2) doesn't exist.

Edit: also I don't know what to pick as the initial condition. Why pick 2?

Last edited:
Whatever way you solve this, you should first sketch the graph of accumulated charge vs. time. It's a couple of straight line segments.

Then just figure out on the sketch the equations of those straight lines (using the slope and the projected y-intercept). No calculus needed!

As a supplementary exercise, once you have it worked out the easy way, go back and do it using calculus.

Likes 1 person
Thanks Nascent. I see how I can solve it in that manner, which is much easier. However, I think my ELC professor wants to see the work via calculus.

The sketch everyone wants you to do will explain how and why you evaluate the constants of integration.
If you look at the answer, you'll see that the intervals have the same value if evaluated at the boundary time. i.e. the 1st and 2nd intervals at t=2 are both 0. That should be a hint.

I know - the peicewise function is written with no value at t=2 (etc) ... that does not mean that the charge does not exist there, only that the author of the question was being sloppy.

When integrating, the initial condition is the charge on the capacitor at the start of that charging period, i.e., when you change to the new value of current.

I drew the graph, and I see how you can extend the line to figure out the y-intercept, thus an initial value. Thank you for that. So, re reading everything, I have figured out many different way to solve this. Would the differential equation approach to this (from post #2) be the only way to solve this without having to reference the graph of q(t)?

Would the differential equation approach to this (from post #2) be the only way to solve this without having to reference the graph of q(t)?
I think any other approach requires some measure of prescience (read: experience with this sort of problem.)

I think you can set up the integral for cumulative charging as: $$q(t)=\int_0^t i(t')\;dt'$$ ... but you are best doing this sort of problem by thinking about the physics rather than the mathematics.

aflyingcougar said:
I drew the graph, and I see how you can extend the line to figure out the y-intercept, thus an initial value. Thank you for that. So, re reading everything, I have figured out many different way to solve this. Would the differential equation approach to this (from post #2) be the only way to solve this without having to reference the graph of q(t)?
I wouldn't make a distinction. Even were the current to be a complicated function of time, you should still sketch it as a guide before using maths to get the precision needed. Whether you perform that maths in your head or on paper really doesn't make it a different approach.

Alright. I understand. Thanks everyone!

Related to Circuit Theory Problem - Current and Charge

1. What is the relationship between current and charge in a circuit?

In a circuit, the flow of electric charge is known as current. The amount of current flowing through a circuit is directly proportional to the amount of charge passing through a specific point in the circuit per unit of time. This relationship is described by the equation I = Q/t, where I is current in amperes (A), Q is charge in coulombs (C), and t is time in seconds (s).

2. How is current measured in a circuit?

Current is measured using an ammeter, which is a device that is connected in series with the circuit to measure the flow of current. Ammeters have low resistance so that they do not affect the current in the circuit. The unit of measurement for current is the ampere (A).

3. What is Kirchhoff's current law and how is it applied in circuit analysis?

Kirchhoff's current law states that the sum of all currents entering a node (or junction) in a circuit is equal to the sum of all currents leaving that node. This law is based on the principle of conservation of charge and is used in circuit analysis to determine unknown currents in a circuit.

4. How does the direction of current affect circuit components?

The direction of current in a circuit determines the polarity of the voltage across circuit components. In a passive component (such as a resistor), the current and voltage have the same direction. In an active component (such as a diode or transistor), the direction of current determines the direction of voltage across the component.

5. What is the difference between direct current (DC) and alternating current (AC)?

Direct current (DC) is the flow of electric charge in one direction, while alternating current (AC) is the flow of electric charge that periodically reverses direction. DC is commonly used in battery-powered devices, while AC is used in household and industrial power systems. The frequency of AC is typically 50 or 60 Hz, while DC has a constant frequency of 0 Hz.