Magnetic field of circular loops and solenoid

In summary: Knowledge is power”. In summary, the magnetic field is weaker along the axis of a solenoid than it is at the center of a circle of the same number of loops. This is because the magnetic field is directed towards the center of the circle, but it is not directed towards the edges of the loops.
al33
I don't understand something. At the center of N circular loops, the magnetic field is μ_0NI/2a. And that for a solenoid is μ_0nI. Why are they not the same when the number of loops is large and the length for the solenoid is long?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's two very different geometries that you are trying to compare. Note: ## n=\frac{N}{L} ##, where ## L ## is the length of the solenoid.## \\ ## In the first case, ##a ## is the radius of the ring(s), and it has a very short length. Essentially, ## a>> L ##. ## \\ ## For the second case,=the solenoid, its radius doesn't matter, so long as it is fairly long compared to its radius. For the solenoid formula to be accurate, ## L >> a ##.

Last edited:
If we place many rings side by side, it looks just like a solenoid, right? And if we apply Ampere’s law on both cases, aren’t we supposed to get the same result? If not, how come? There must be some point that I haven’t figured out.

al33 said:
If we place many rings side by side, it looks just like a solenoid, right? And if we apply Ampere’s law on both cases, aren’t we supposed to get the same result? If not, how come? There must be some point that I haven’t figured out.
For the first case, ## a>> L ##. The first case does not work once ## L ## starts to get large enough to make a short solenoid. ## \\ ## Meanwhile, Ampere's law only works for the long solenoid geometry. Biot-Savart works for any geometry. Biot-Savart can readily be computed on-axis for the solenoid of medium length. Let me see if I can find the result in a google and give you a "link": https://notes.tyrocity.com/magnetic-field-along-axis-of-solenoid/ This "link" really needs a figure to show what the angles ## \Phi_1 ## and ## \Phi_2 ## are, but perhaps it is somewhat apparent. Here is a "link" with a diagram. See p.2. The angles are called ## \theta_1 ## and ## \theta_2 ## in this diagram. http://www.pas.rochester.edu/~dmw/phy217/Lectures/Lect_27b.pdf And see the formula at the bottom of p.6. This second "link" is using cgs units, so a couple conversion factors are necessary to get to the MKS result. ## \\ ## Editing: You can even use the formula ##B=\frac{\mu_o nI}{2}( \cos(\Phi_1)-\cos(\Phi_2)) ## to work the case with ## a>>L ##, and you do get the formula ## B=\frac{\mu_o NI}{2a} ## that you presented above. (You let ##n=\frac{N}{\Delta} ##, (with ## L=\Delta ##), and ## \Phi_1=\frac{\pi }{2}-\frac{\Delta}{2a} ##, and ## \Phi_2=\frac{\pi}{2} +\frac{\Delta}{2a} ##. In the limit ## \Delta \rightarrow 0 ##, you get the first formula above).

Last edited:
Likes al33
Wow, thanks for the link and the editing part. I should and sould not have posted this thread. I posted so that I could see all of these great derivations. I should not because I am afraid that I have wasted some of your time. I made a mistake interpreting the result for the N loops. That’s for the geometry when you have N loops in the same plane but not for the case by placing loops side by side. Of course the first case cannot use Ampere due to the bad symmetry.

Btw, I couldn’t agree more with your motto~

Likes Charles Link

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space around a magnet or electric current where a magnetic force can be observed. It is represented by lines of force that extend from the north pole of a magnet to the south pole.

2. How are circular loops and solenoids related to magnetic fields?

Circular loops and solenoids are both structures that can be used to create magnetic fields. A circular loop is a single loop of wire, while a solenoid is a coil of wire with multiple loops. Both can produce a magnetic field when an electric current is passed through the wire.

3. How does the magnetic field of a circular loop differ from that of a solenoid?

The magnetic field of a circular loop is strongest at the center of the loop and weakens as you move away from it. In contrast, the magnetic field of a solenoid is strongest at the center of the coil and remains relatively constant along the length of the coil.

4. What is the direction of the magnetic field in a circular loop or solenoid?

The direction of the magnetic field in a circular loop or solenoid is determined by the right-hand rule. If you point your thumb in the direction of the electric current, then your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field.

5. How can the strength of the magnetic field in a circular loop or solenoid be increased?

The strength of the magnetic field in a circular loop or solenoid can be increased by increasing the number of loops in the solenoid, increasing the current passing through the wire, or using a material with higher magnetic permeability, such as iron, within the loop or solenoid.