Circular Motion and friction problem.

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a string attached to a mass on a horizontal table and another mass revolving on the other end. The goal is to find the number of revolutions per minute if the mass on the table is on the point of slipping. The approach involves using the formula Fc=mv^2/r and equating two different Fc values to find the angular velocity, which is then converted to revolutions per minute. The poster also mentions being new to the forum and plans to use it frequently in the future.
khuong1994

Homework Statement

One end of a string is attached to a mass of 7.5kg which is at rest on a horizontal table, coeffecient of friction being = 1/3. String passes through a small hole in the table and supports at its other end a mass of 2.5kg which is revolving in a horizontal of radius 20cm. Find the number of revolutions made per minute if the mass on the table is on the point of slipping.

The Attempt at a Solution

I basically did Fc= 7.5*20* w^2
and then
Fc=T+1/3*7.5*9.8 and since T would be equal to 2.5*g i subbed that into get

Fc=2.5*9.8+1/3*7.5*9.8

From there equated the two Fc to get

7.5*20* w^2 = 2.5*9.8+1/3*7.5*9.8
And then i just found w and changed into revolutions per minute.

Is this method correct?Oh yeah, hi guys as you can see I'm a first time poster and I assume I'll be using this forum, particularly this section, numerous more times in the near future.

Physics news on Phys.org
khuong1994 said:
Fc=T+1/3*7.5*9.8 and since T would be equal to 2.5*g i subbed that into get

How did you got this?

Related to Circular Motion and friction problem.

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path, where the object's distance from a fixed point remains constant.

2. How is circular motion related to friction?

Friction is the force that opposes motion, and in circular motion, it acts tangentially to the circular path, slowing down the object's speed and causing it to move in a curved path.

3. What factors affect the amount of friction in circular motion?

The amount of friction in circular motion can be affected by the surface roughness of the object and the surface it is moving on, the weight of the object, and the speed of the object.

4. How does friction impact the stability of circular motion?

Friction can cause the object to lose speed and change direction, making it more difficult to maintain a stable circular motion. It can also cause wear and tear on the object and surface over time, which can affect the stability of the motion.

5. What are some real-life examples of circular motion and friction?

A carousel, a Ferris wheel, and a car making a turn on a road are all examples of circular motion and friction at work. In these cases, friction helps to keep the objects moving along their circular paths and prevents them from sliding off or losing control.