Circular Motion/Energy: Find the position of the rings when tension = 0

In summary: So ##\theta## and ##v## are their respective "critical" values such that the tension is zero. This is appears backwards to me, but OK.
Edidas
Homework Statement
A smooth circular track of mass m is vertically hung by a string down the ceiling. Two small rings, each of mass 3m are initially at rest at the top of the track. They then slide down simultaneously along the track in opposite directions. Find the position of the rings when the tension in the string is zero.
Relevant Equations
Conservation of Energy
mgh = 1/2mv^2
Centripetal Force
Fc = mv^2/r
Here's my first attempt at a solution:

First, I calculated the speed of one ring at the point where the tension would be zero.
3mgr(1-cosΘ ) = (1/2) * (3m) * (v^2).
3m * v^2 = 6mgr(1-cosΘ)

Next, since I wanted the centripetal force, I took the result I got and divided by the radius.
Fc = 6mg(1-cosΘ)

Since I wanted to balance the forces, I calculated the normal force of the hoop on one of the rings.
N - (3mg * cosΘ) = Fc
N = 3mg * (2 - cosΘ)

Then to balance the vertical, I needed the vertical component of the normal force to be equal to the weight of the large hoop. Since there were two rings, I multiplied my initial result by 2.
2 * N * cosΘ = mg.

Simplifying, I got:
6 cos^2(Θ) - 12 cos (Θ) + 1 = 0

The correct answer was Θ = 73° and I do not understand where my error is. I do suspect that it may be in my normal force calculation or the balancing of the vertical forces.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 79914990_2533584096910539_1521439525488820224_n.jpg
    79914990_2533584096910539_1521439525488820224_n.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Edidas said:
N - (3mg * cosΘ) = Fc
Check that by considering special cases of the angle.

Edidas said:
First, I calculated the speed of one ring at the point where the tension would be zero.
3mgr(1-cosΘ ) = (1/2) * (3m) * (v^2).
3m * v^2 = 6mgr(1-cosΘ)
Why does this equation give the point where the tension is zero? It looks like the mechanical energy conservation equation that applies to all points.

Last edited:
kuruman said:
Why does this equation give the point where the tension is zero? It looks like the mechanical energy conservation equation that applies to all points.
That bothered me until I realized @Edidas had mentally defined the angle theta to be that point. Of course , the equation is true for all theta.

haruspex said:
Check that by considering special cases of the angle.
I looked at when Θ = 0° and determined that N = 3mg so in that case would it be N + 3mgcosΘ = Fc?

haruspex said:
That bothered me until I realized @Edidas had mentally defined the angle theta to be that point. Of course , the equation is true for all theta.
So ##\theta## and ##v## are their respective "critical" values such that the tension is zero. This is appears backwards to me, but OK.

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path, with a constant distance from a central point. It can be described by its velocity, acceleration, and centripetal force.

2. How is circular motion related to energy?

Circular motion involves the transfer of kinetic energy into potential energy and vice versa. As the object moves along a circular path, it experiences changes in speed and direction, leading to changes in kinetic and potential energy.

3. How do you find the position of the rings in circular motion when tension is equal to 0?

When tension is equal to 0, the rings in circular motion will be at the highest point of the circular path, where the potential energy is at its maximum and the kinetic energy is at its minimum.

4. What factors affect the position of the rings in circular motion?

The position of the rings in circular motion can be affected by the speed of the object, the radius of the circular path, and the amount of centripetal force acting on the object.

5. How is centripetal force related to the position of the rings in circular motion?

Centripetal force is necessary to maintain an object's circular motion. It acts towards the center of the circular path, constantly changing the direction of the object's velocity and keeping it on the circular path. The strength of the centripetal force will determine the position of the rings in circular motion.