Circular motion in the vertical plane

In summary, the problem involves a light rod with a particle attached to one end, rotating in a vertical plane about a fixed horizontal axis. The greatest tension in the rod is given, and the goal is to find the angle between the rod and the downward vertical when the particle's speed is given. Two methods can be used to solve this problem: Newton's Second Law and the conservation of energy. The solution involves setting the tension and weight equal to the resultant force, and considering the energy changes at two points in the motion. The final equation involves finding the difference in kinetic energy and solving for the angle.
WhiteWolf98

Homework Statement

A light rod ##AB## of length ##2a## has a particle ##P## of mass ##m## attached to ##B##. The rod is rotating in a vertical plane about a fixed smooth horizontal axis through ##A##. Given that the greatest tension in the rod is ##\frac {9mg}{8}##, find, to the nearest degree, the angle between the rod and the downward vertical when the speed of ##P## is ##\sqrt {\frac {ag}{20}}##.

Homework Equations

There are two methods that can be applied to this question, as far as my knowledge extends. Newton's Second Law and the conservation of energy.

One, that the tension and weight equal the resultant force, which is the centripetal force.

Second is that the energy at one point equals the energy at another point (of the motion of the object). This is mostly setting equal the kinetic energy at one point with the sum of the KE and PE at another point.

The Attempt at a Solution

Using Newton's Second Law, I got the equation ##T+mgsin\theta=\frac {mv^2}{2a}##. The solution didn't have any, '##cos\theta##' and simply said, '##T-W=F_c##. I don't know why it's subtracted, why there's no angle and which plane I'm resolving in.

Finally, I can't make sense of the energy changes in this question since I don't know which two points to consider. I got nothing near to the second equation in the solution, which is, '##\frac{1}{2} m(\frac {ag}{4})-\frac{1}{2}m(\frac{ag}{20})=mg2a(1-cos\theta)##. I question here why the difference between the two kinetic energies is being found, and also where this, '##1-cos\theta##' is coming from.

I can see there's a gap in my understanding somewhere, so any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Worked it out on my own. The question makes total sense when considering the downwards vertical as the starting point, and any subsequent motion as the, 'final point'. ##h=2a(1-cos\theta)##

1. What is circular motion in the vertical plane?

Circular motion in the vertical plane refers to any type of motion that follows a circular path in a vertical direction. This can include objects moving in a circle around a fixed point, such as a Ferris wheel, or objects moving in a vertical circle, such as a roller coaster.

2. What causes an object to move in a circular path in the vertical plane?

An object moves in a circular path in the vertical plane due to the combination of centripetal force and gravity. Centripetal force is the force that pulls an object towards the center of the circular path, while gravity is the force that pulls an object towards the ground. These forces work together to keep the object moving in a circular path.

3. What is the relationship between velocity and acceleration in circular motion in the vertical plane?

In circular motion in the vertical plane, the velocity and acceleration are always perpendicular to each other. This means that while the object is moving in a circular path, its velocity is constantly changing direction, but its acceleration remains directed towards the center of the circle.

4. How is the speed of an object in circular motion in the vertical plane affected by the radius of the circle?

The speed of an object in circular motion in the vertical plane is directly proportional to the radius of the circle. This means that as the radius increases, the speed of the object also increases. This is because a larger radius means the object has to travel a greater distance in the same amount of time, resulting in a higher speed.

5. What is the difference between uniform circular motion and non-uniform circular motion in the vertical plane?

Uniform circular motion in the vertical plane is when an object moves in a circular path at a constant speed. Non-uniform circular motion, on the other hand, is when an object's speed changes as it moves in a circular path. This can happen if the centripetal force or radius of the circle changes. An example of non-uniform circular motion in the vertical plane is a pendulum swinging back and forth.