Circular Motion Loop question

In summary, the problem involves a child and a cart starting at rest on a frictionless ramp and entering a frictionless circular loop. The question is asking for the minimum height of the ramp in order for the cart to successfully traverse the loop. The incorrect solution attempted to use conservation of energy, while the correct solution uses kinematics and calculates the required height to be half the radius of the loop. The provided solution may be incorrect and there may be additional information needed to solve the problem using kinematics.
squirrelschaser

Homework Statement

Bob starts at rest from the top of a frictionless ramp. At the bottom of the ramp, he enters a frictionless circular loop. The total mass of the child and the cart he sits in his m. What must the height of the ramp be in order for the cart to successfully traverse the loop.

r = radius of loop
h = height of ramp
theta = angle of the ramp (irrelevant though)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I solved for the minimum speed at the top of the loop.

Fy = F + mg = mv^2/r

v= sqrt(rg)

I then used conservation of energy.

Initial : mgh
Final : mg2r + (m(sqrt(rg))^2)/2

mgh = mg2r + mrg/2

mgh = 5mgr/2

Cancel stuff out h = 5r/2 (WRONG)

Instead the solution calls for using kinematics not energy conservation.

v= sqrt(rg) stills hold.

vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ax

rg = 0 + 2gsin(theta)*(h/sin(theta)

rg = 2gh

r = 2h

h = r/2 (CORRECT answer)

I understand the mathematical process of the correct solution.
However, I don't understand why I can't use conservation of energy(gives me wrong answer) instead of kinematics.

Attachments

• help.png
    help.png
    2 KB · Views: 401
Physics news on Phys.org
The second answer (r/2) is clearly wrong since it would not provide enough energy to reach the top of the loop even with no remaining KE.
The calculation goes wrong because it equates the speed at the bottom of the ramp to that required at the top of the loop.
The first answer is correct.

The solutions I have showed the second answer as the correct answer.
haruspex said:
The second answer (r/2) is clearly wrong since it would not provide enough energy to reach the top of the loop even with no remaining KE.
The calculation goes wrong because it equates the speed at the bottom of the ramp to that required at the top of the loop.
The first answer is correct.

Really? That's the solution provided to me.
Glad to know I wasn't paranoid or something.

Is there any additional information that would make solving this question using kinematic possible, then?

squirrelschaser said:
Is there any additional information that would make solving this question using kinematic possible, then?
The v2-u2=2as equation is effectively KE+PE constant. All that's different is factoring out the mass.

I would say that both approaches are valid in solving this problem. The difference lies in the assumptions made and the equations used in each approach.

When using conservation of energy, we assume that the total energy (kinetic + potential) of the system remains constant throughout the motion. This means that we are neglecting any external forces, such as friction or air resistance, that may affect the motion. In this case, we are assuming that the ramp and the loop are both frictionless, which is not always the case in real-world scenarios.

On the other hand, when using kinematics, we are taking into account the acceleration due to gravity and the angle of the ramp. This approach is more accurate as it considers the actual forces acting on the cart as it moves through the loop.

In conclusion, both approaches can be used to solve the problem, but the results may differ due to the assumptions and simplifications made in each method. As a scientist, it is important to carefully consider the assumptions and limitations of each approach in order to choose the most appropriate one for a given problem.

1. What is circular motion loop?

Circular motion loop refers to a type of motion where an object moves in a circular path around a fixed point. This motion is caused by a centripetal force acting towards the center of the circle.

2. What is the difference between circular motion and circular motion loop?

Circular motion refers to any motion along a circular path, while circular motion loop specifically refers to a circular motion where the object continuously goes around the same path.

3. How is the speed of an object in a circular motion loop calculated?

The speed of an object in a circular motion loop can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time taken. This is also known as the linear speed or tangential speed.

4. What is the relationship between the radius of the circle and the speed of the object in a circular motion loop?

There is a direct relationship between the radius of the circle and the speed of the object in a circular motion loop. As the radius increases, the speed also increases, and vice versa.

5. How does the centripetal force affect circular motion loop?

The centripetal force is necessary to maintain the circular motion loop. It acts towards the center of the circle, continuously changing the direction of the object's velocity to keep it moving in a circular path.