Circular motion of a rollercoaster car on a loop-the-loop

Jolene
Homework Statement
You are designing a rollercoaster and want to add an upside loop to it (a vertical circle). If the top speed that the rollercoaster cars can generate is 175 km/h, what is the maximum radius that you can make the loop so that the roller coaster does not fall off the track during the loop?
Relevant Equations
Fy= N + Fg = mac
Can someone please check if I got the correct answer. Thank you!
I got:
Fy= N + Fg = mac
N + mg = mv^2/r
g = v^2/r
r = v^2/g
r = (48.61)^2/9.8
r = 241.1 m

Physics news on Phys.org
Jolene said:
Homework Statement: You are designing a rollercoaster and want to add an upside loop to it (a vertical circle). If the top speed that the rollercoaster cars can generate is 175 km/h, what is the maximum radius that you can make the loop so that the roller coaster does not fall off the track during the loop?
Relevant Equations: Fy= N + Fg = mac

Can someone please check if I got the correct answer. Thank you!
I got:
Fy= N + Fg = mac
N + mg = mv^2/r
g = v^2/r
r = v^2/g
r = (48.61)^2/9.8
r = 241.1 m
:welcome:

Just typing in some formulas without saying what you are doing or what your assumptions are is not a good solution. Note that a radius of approx 240m is huge. The height of a tall skyscraper and 480m long. Does that answer sound realistic?

PeroK said:
The height of a tall skyscraper and 480m long. Does that answer sound realistic?
Show me a rollercoaster that reaches 175 kph … without any friction losses that in itself would require a height drop of over 100 m … The unrealism is already present in the problem statement.

Likes nasu
Orodruin said:
Show me a rollercoaster that reaches 175 kph … without any friction losses that in itself would require a height drop of over 100 m … The unrealism is already present in the problem statement.
The fastest rollercoaster gets to 240 kph. And the highest loop is about 50m. The problem is not that unrealistic, despite not taking mechanical energy loss into account.

A 480m high loop, however, is unrealistic.

Likes scottdave
@Jolene Can you figure out what you're missing here?

PeroK said:
A 480m high loop, however, is unrealistic.
The point is that - given only the constraint of no negative g-force - that’s what you get if it travels at 175 kph at the top of the loop.

If it's 175 km/h at the top, it won't be the maximum speed it "can generate". Unless it is a powered car, with an engine.

Likes scottdave
nasu said:
If it's 175 km/h at the top, it won't be the maximum speed it "can generate". Unless it is a powered car, with an engine.
Well, you already stated the obvious exception. We do not know what is actually assumed by the problem.

Likes nasu
PeroK said:
:welcome:

Just typing in some formulas without saying what you are doing or what your assumptions are is not a good solution. Note that a radius of approx 240m is huge. The height of a tall skyscraper and 480m long. Does that answer sound realistic?
Thank you for the quick respond and sorry for not being specific. Here's what I did:

I considered the total force of the rollercoaster at the top of the loop: Fy = N + Fg = mac

Then, I re-write the equation as: N + mg = mv^2/r

As N approaches 0 (at the top of the loop), v goes to v max (when n=0), , the equation becomes: mg = mv^2/rI Rearranged the equation to solve for r r = v^2/g

Lastly, I plugged in the numbers to find the radius when the speed is at its top speed. r=241.1m

Likes PeroK
Jolene said:
Thank you for the quick respond and sorry for not being specific. Here's what I did:

I considered the total force of the rollercoaster at the top of the loop: Fy = N + Fg = mac

Then, I re-write the equation as: N + mg = mv^2/r

As N approaches 0 (at the top of the loop), v goes to v max (when n=0), , the equation becomes: mg = mv^2/rI Rearranged the equation to solve for r r = v^2/g

Lastly, I plugged in the numbers to find the radius when the speed is at its top speed. r=241.1m
If you read the other posts, you might see why that's an unrealistic analysis. Do you think the rollercoaster might slow down as it ascends the loop?

Likes Jolene
PeroK said:
If you read the other posts, you might see why that's an unrealistic analysis. Do you think the rollercoaster might slow down as it ascends the loop?
I'm so confused, isn't that why I used the rollercoaster's top speed for my calculation? So, is my starting equation Fy=N+Fg=mac incorrect?

Your equation is correct. However, "top speed" does not mean "speed at the top of the track." It means "the fastest the roller-coaster can ever move."

Likes PeroK
As an aside and for those interested, I found here an interesting little article about "real" roller coaster design.

• Informative
Likes scottdave
Jolene said:
I'm so confused, isn't that why I used the rollercoaster's top speed for my calculation? So, is my starting equation Fy=N+Fg=mac incorrect?
Your equations are not wrong in themselves. But, they do not realistically model the motion of a rollercoaster.

I looked up on the Internet the fastest rollercoaster (which is faster than your one) and the highest loop, which is about 50m. That tells you that something has gone wrong somewhere in your calculations. Your loop is higher than the Empire State Building!

If a rollercoaster is doing 175 kph at the highest point, then won't it be going even faster when it comes back down?

Likes scottdave
PeroK said:
If a rollercoaster is doing 174 kph at the highest point, then won't it be going even faster when it comes back down?
That would depend on if it slams the breaks or not! 😉

• Haha
Likes scottdave

1. How does a rollercoaster car stay on the track while going through a loop-the-loop?

As the rollercoaster car enters the loop-the-loop, it has enough speed to counteract the force of gravity pulling it down. The combination of its velocity and the normal force from the track keeps the car moving in a circular path without falling off.

2. What factors affect the minimum speed required for a rollercoaster car to successfully complete a loop-the-loop?

The minimum speed required for a rollercoaster car to successfully complete a loop-the-loop depends on the radius of the loop and the force of gravity. A higher speed is needed for a smaller radius loop or a loop with a sharper curve, to overcome the force of gravity pulling the car downward.

3. Why do rollercoaster cars slow down at the top of a loop-the-loop?

Rollercoaster cars slow down at the top of a loop-the-loop because the normal force from the track is no longer enough to fully counteract the force of gravity. As the car moves upward, its speed decreases due to the loss of kinetic energy, and then it accelerates as it moves downward.

4. How does the shape of a loop-the-loop affect the ride experience on a rollercoaster?

The shape of a loop-the-loop can affect the ride experience on a rollercoaster by changing the forces experienced by riders. A perfectly circular loop provides a smooth ride, while an oval or teardrop-shaped loop can create variations in speed and forces, leading to a more thrilling experience.

5. What safety measures are in place to ensure the stability of rollercoaster cars during a loop-the-loop?

To ensure the stability of rollercoaster cars during a loop-the-loop, safety measures such as secure restraints, regular maintenance checks, and computerized control systems are in place. Engineers design rollercoasters with specific safety factors to prevent derailment or accidents during the ride.