Circular Orbit in Schwarzschild: Orbital Period

In summary, Schutz finds that the orbital period for a circular orbit in Schwarzschild can be calculated using the expression P = 2π√(r^3/M). This is derived from the equations dt/dφ = (dt/dτ)/(dφ/dτ), with previous equations for dφ/dτ = L/r^2 and dt/dτ = E/(1-2M/r), where L^2 = Mr/(1-3M/r) and E = (1-2M/r)^2/(1-3M/r). However, there may be a typo in the expression for E and therefore the resulting expression for P may be incorrect. This can be found in chapter 11, section 1
epovo
TL;DR Summary
I followed Schutz derivation and I don't get his result
Schutz finds that the orbital period for a circular orbit in Schwarzschild is

$$ P = 2 \pi \sqrt {\frac { r^3} {M} }$$

He gets this from
$$ \frac {dt} {d\phi} = \frac {dt / d\tau} {d\phi/d\tau} $$
Where previously he had ## \frac {d\phi}{d\tau} = \tilde L / r^2## and ## \frac {dt}{d\tau} = \frac {\tilde E} { 1 - 2M/r}## and where

## \tilde L^2= \frac {Mr } { 1-3M/r}## and ##\tilde E = \frac {(1- 2M/r)^2} {1-3M/r} ##

After doing the algebra I don't get that expression for the period (I get a much more complicated expression).
I punched in some numbers for M and r in a spreadsheet and the period given by the expression above does not match the calculations I have done. It does not even seem to be a very good approximation. Help, please!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's in ch 11 section 1 (page 280 in my edition) under Perihelion Shift

Likes Ibix
Your expression for ##\tilde{E}## is wrong - it's the correct expression for ##\tilde{E}^2##. Schutz has it correct in equation 11.21 on p287 in my edition, and I think his result for ##P## follows.

You may have made a transcription error, or there may be a typo in your edition. Either is possible - I've commented before that I think Schutz needed a better editor.

Likes berkeman, epovo and vanhees71
20230303_172233.jpg

Definitely a typo. Thank you!

Likes Ibix and berkeman
epovo said:
Definitely a typo.
I have the second edition, so I hope you have the first edition... This particular text does seem to have more than usual stuff like this, so I would say that when you can't make sense of Schutz, "my textbook is wrong" (or at least confusingly written) should be a bit higher up your probability list than normal.

• Haha
Likes vanhees71 and PeterDonis

1. What is a circular orbit in Schwarzschild space-time?

A circular orbit in Schwarzschild space-time is a type of orbit that occurs when an object is moving around a massive body, such as a planet or star, in a perfectly circular path. This type of orbit is described by the Schwarzschild metric, which is a solution to Einstein's field equations of general relativity.

2. How is the orbital period of a circular orbit in Schwarzschild space-time calculated?

The orbital period of a circular orbit in Schwarzschild space-time can be calculated using Kepler's third law of planetary motion, which states that the square of the orbital period is proportional to the cube of the semi-major axis of the orbit. In the case of a circular orbit, the semi-major axis is equal to the radius of the orbit, so the orbital period can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(r^3/GM), where T is the orbital period, r is the radius of the orbit, G is the gravitational constant, and M is the mass of the central body.

3. Can the orbital period of a circular orbit in Schwarzschild space-time change?

No, the orbital period of a circular orbit in Schwarzschild space-time is a constant value and does not change over time. This is because the Schwarzschild metric is a static solution, meaning that it does not change with time. Therefore, the orbital period remains constant as long as the orbit remains circular and there are no external forces acting on the orbiting object.

4. How does the mass of the central body affect the orbital period of a circular orbit in Schwarzschild space-time?

The mass of the central body has a direct effect on the orbital period of a circular orbit in Schwarzschild space-time. According to Kepler's third law, the orbital period is proportional to the square root of the mass of the central body. This means that as the mass of the central body increases, the orbital period also increases.

5. Can objects of different masses have the same orbital period in a circular orbit in Schwarzschild space-time?

Yes, objects of different masses can have the same orbital period in a circular orbit in Schwarzschild space-time. This is because the orbital period is determined by the mass of the central body and the radius of the orbit, and not by the mass of the orbiting object. As long as the central body remains the same and the orbit is circular, the orbital period will be the same regardless of the mass of the orbiting object.