Circular reasoning and proof by Contradiction

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of proof by contradiction and how it can be applied to prove that two expressions, "a" and "c", cannot be equal. The method involves subtracting the two expressions and showing that the result is not equal to zero, which would imply circular reasoning. However, the provided example does not successfully prove the contradiction.
e2m2a
I need to understand something about proof by contradiction. Suppose there is an expression "a" and it is known to be equal to expression "b". Furthermore, suppose it is conjectured that expression "c" is also equal to expression "a". This would imply expression "c" is equal to expression "b".

Now here is where I might be naive. I think that one direct way to prove that expression "c" is not equal to expression "b" is to simply subtract the two expressions. That is, I assert that expression "b" is equal to expression "c" if and only if you get zero when you subtract them. If not, then they are not equal.

In fact, what if you get the equality expression, after subtracting "b" and "c", an expression that reads b = c.

Well, I think this is circular reasoning. The answer gives what we are trying to prove that which we assume to be true. Is this a proof by contradiction that expression "c" cannot be equal to expression "a"?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
e2m2a said:
In fact, what if you get the equality expression, after subtracting "b" and "c", an expression that reads b = c.
I don't understand what this is saying. What did you intend it to mean?

I need to be more specific. Suppose it is known to be true that "a" equals a function a(w,x,y). Next we solve for y, getting a function y(w,x,a) Now we want to test if expression "c" is equal to "a". So we assume it is true, then proceed and find that "c" equals a function c(uw,vx,y). Then we solve for y, getting a function y(uw,vx,c) Now both expression "a" and expression "c" have functions for y. In expression "a", it is y(w,x,a), in expression "c", it is y(uw,vx,c).

Now, we are trying to prove if expression "a" is equal to expression "c". This would imply that y(u,x,a) should be equal to y(uw,vx,c)... So, we subtract the two functions to see if it always equals zero. I assert this would prove that expression "a" is equal to expression "c". But, if instead you get the answer a = c, and not zero, then this is a circular argument. My question is, is this a proof by contradiction that "a" cannot be equal to "c", the fact that it involves circular reasoning?

I still can't understand it. The problem is the notation. You cannot use a symbol like ##a## or ##y## to denote both an amount and a function. An amount is a number. A function is a rule that, given a specified number of input numbers, gives an output number. Any given symbol must be one or the other. It cannot denote both.

So it creates chaos to write things like 'Then we solve for y, getting a function y(uw,vx,c)' because you are trying to use ##y## to refer to both an amount and a function. What you should write is something like 'we solve for ##y##, thereby deriving a function ##f:\mathbb R^3\to \mathbb R## such that ##y=f(uw,vx,c)##'.

Try rewriting your question in a way that clearly distinguishes between amounts and functions. Then it may be clear enough to get help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok. Let me try to give a concrete example. Suppose we know that it is true that a = ku - v. This would imply v = ku - a. Next, suppose we conjecture that c = a. This would also imply that c =ku -v. And this would imply that v = ku - c. Finally, this would imply that ku - a = ku - c. But this would only be true if and only if c = a. But this is assuming to be true what needs to be proven. Circular reasoning. By this line of reasoning, does this prove that c could never be equal to a?

e2m2a said:
By this line of reasoning, does this prove that c could never be equal to a?
No. To prove that, a contradiction needs to be deduced, and your post does not deduce a contradiction.

Related to Circular reasoning and proof by Contradiction

1. What is circular reasoning?

Circular reasoning is a logical fallacy in which the conclusion of an argument is used as a premise to support itself. This creates a circular or cyclical argument without providing any new information or evidence. It is considered a flawed form of reasoning as it does not actually prove anything.

2. How can you identify circular reasoning?

Circular reasoning can be identified by looking for repeated or circular language, such as using the conclusion as evidence for itself, or using synonyms of the conclusion as evidence. It can also be identified by looking for a lack of evidence or logical progression in the argument.

3. What is proof by contradiction?

Proof by contradiction is a method of mathematical or logical proof in which a statement is assumed to be false, and then by showing that this assumption leads to a contradiction, it is proven to be true. This method relies on the principle of non-contradiction, which states that a statement cannot be both true and false at the same time.

4. How is proof by contradiction different from circular reasoning?

Proof by contradiction involves assuming the opposite of what is being proven and using logical reasoning and evidence to show that it leads to a contradiction, thus proving the original statement to be true. In contrast, circular reasoning simply repeats the conclusion without providing any new evidence or logical progression.

5. When is proof by contradiction used?

Proof by contradiction is often used in mathematics, particularly in proofs involving real numbers and limits. It can also be used in other fields such as philosophy and computer science to prove the existence or non-existence of certain concepts or ideas. It is a powerful tool for proving the validity of a statement or argument.