Citing objections in a poster presentation

In summary, for a poster presentation, it is important to focus on showcasing your research and its results. It is not necessary to include objections or criticisms from journal editors, as the poster should serve as a trigger and reference for discussion. A clear presentation of the problem, methodology, and results, along with a few discussion points, is sufficient for a successful poster presentation. Keeping it concise will also help generate more interest in your work.
rogerharris
i'm doing a poster presentation of a paper i have written and would like to include both objections and agreement with the paper in a separate box for each called strengths and weaknesses

if for example a journal editor gave me a lot of corrections or weaknesses which helped develop particular models can i incorporate them and mention how his feedback helped illustrate a weakness of the model ?

I'm going to write to them anyway, but just in case they don't get back in time i would be wondering what its ok to quote..e.g. in a paper you can say something like (personal correspondence, smith 2009)

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think I understand why anyone would want to do something like this.

The point of a poster is to showcase your research. It's usually not the place to cite objections or criticisms from journal editors.

Imagine, for example, I am a professor in your field. I come strolling along down the poster aisle and stop in front of your poster. What do you want me to see?

In general I like to see:
- a clear presentation of the problem you're working on
- a quick summary of the methodology used
- the important results this work has generated
- a few brief discussion points

People don't want to see a history of the project in a poster. If they want details, they'll ask. The poster is, in my opinion, supposed to serve as both a trigger and reference point for discussion of your work.

Of course, it's a poster. You can really do what you want with it. But my experience has found that you'll get a lot more interest if you keep it consise.

it is important to acknowledge both strengths and weaknesses in research findings. Including objections and agreement in a separate box for each, labeled as strengths and weaknesses, is a great way to present a balanced view of your paper.

Incorporating feedback and corrections from a journal editor is a valid way to illustrate weaknesses in a model. It shows that you have actively considered and addressed potential flaws in your research. However, it is important to properly cite this feedback, using the appropriate format for personal correspondence (e.g. (personal correspondence, Smith 2009)). This ensures that proper credit is given to the editor and avoids any potential issues with plagiarism.

In the event that you do not hear back from the editor in time, it is acceptable to quote their feedback as long as it is properly cited. However, it is always recommended to obtain permission from the editor before including their feedback in your presentation.

Overall, incorporating both objections and agreement in your poster presentation demonstrates a thorough and balanced approach to your research. It also shows that you have considered and addressed potential weaknesses in your work, making your findings more robust and reliable.

1. How should I cite objections in my poster presentation?

When citing objections in a poster presentation, it is important to use a consistent and clear format. This can be achieved by including a separate section in your poster specifically dedicated to citing objections. Within this section, you can list the objections in bullet points or use a table format. Be sure to include the source of the objection and any relevant information, such as the date or author.

2. Is it necessary to cite objections in a poster presentation?

Yes, it is important to cite objections in a poster presentation in order to acknowledge the source of the objection and provide credibility to your own research. It also allows for additional context and discussion of opposing viewpoints, which can strengthen your argument.

3. Can I use direct quotes when citing objections in a poster presentation?

Yes, you can use direct quotes when citing objections in a poster presentation. However, it is important to use them sparingly and only when the quote adds value to your presentation. Be sure to properly attribute the quote to the original source and use quotation marks to indicate that it is a direct quote.

4. How many objections should I include in my poster presentation?

There is no set number of objections that should be included in a poster presentation. However, it is important to include enough to provide a well-rounded discussion of different viewpoints. It is also important to prioritize the most relevant and impactful objections to your research.

5. Can I cite objections from sources that are not peer-reviewed?

Yes, you can cite objections from sources that are not peer-reviewed. However, it is important to critically evaluate the credibility and reliability of these sources before including them in your poster presentation. It is generally recommended to prioritize peer-reviewed sources when citing objections, but non-peer-reviewed sources can still provide valuable insights.