City Population Growth: A Unique Algebra Problem

In summary: Assuming logarithmic growth, then a city with a population of 2000 in 2001 would have a population of 4000 in 2007, for a growth rate of "2". If you are given "log(3)", then the answer is more straightforward. The population in 2007 would be x0e^{3ln(3)/5}.
Tompson Lee
Hey, I found an interesting algebra problem combined with log. It was quite an unique one so I wanted to share it with you guys.

Problem: There is a city where the population increases at a constant rate. At the end of 2016, the population of the city was 2 times larger than the population 15 years ago (the end of 2001). Find as a percentage, how much did the population at the end of 2007 increase compared to the end of 2001? Use 0.12 as log1.32 and 0.30 as log2.

I believe that this is quite difficult one to solve. It took me over an hour to solve it. Please tell me your guys way to solve it since that was my purpose to post this not to know the answer.

Thanks

Solution:
[YOUTUBE]sTK8Tu32VMA[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Tompson Lee said:
Hey, I found an interesting algebra problem combined with log. It was quite an unique one so I wanted to share it with you guys.

Problem: There is a city where the population increases at a constant rate.
So, letting "x(t)" be the population at time t (in years), dx/dt= kx where x is the constant rate of increase. Then dx/x= kdt so ln(x)= kt+ C so x(t)= C'e^{kt} where C'= e^C. Taking t= 0 to be 2001, the population in 2001 to be x0, C'= x0. The population t years after 2001 is x0e^{kt}.

At the end of 2016, the population of the city was 2 times larger than the population 15 years ago (the end of 2001).
Note that "2 times larger than" is NOT "twice as large". "2 times larger than" is "three times as large".

At the end of 2016, 15 years after 2001, x(15)= x0e^{15k}= 3x0 so e^{15k}= 3. We can use the natural logarithm to say that k= ln(3)/15. x0e^{kt}= x0e^{ln(3)t/15}

Find as a percentage, how much did the population at the end of 2007 increase compared to the end of 2001? Use 0.12 as log1.32 and 0.30 as log2.
2007 is 6 years after 2001 so the population is x0e^{6ln(3)/15}= x0 e^{2ln(3)/5}. The ratio with the population at 2001 is x(5)/x_0= e^{2ln(3)/5}. This can be written as (e^{ln(3)})^{2/5)= 3^{2/5}.

I have no idea why this would want you to use the common logarithm to solve. Does anyone still use that? But, anyway, with x= 3^{2/5}, log(x)= (2/5)log(3)= (2/5)(0.48) (to two decimal places)= 0.19.

I believe that this is quite difficult one to solve. It took me over an hour to solve it. Please tell me your guys way to solve it since that was my purpose to post this not to know the answer.

Thanks

Solution:
Since you are given "log(2)" rather than "log(3)", perhaps this solution is interpreting "two times larger" as "twice as large". If so, that is wrong!

1. What is the unique algebra problem in "City Population Growth"?

The unique algebra problem in "City Population Growth" is a mathematical model that represents the growth of a city's population over time. It involves using variables such as initial population, growth rate, and time to calculate the future population of a city.

2. Why is understanding city population growth important?

Understanding city population growth is important for urban planners, policymakers, and researchers as it helps in making informed decisions about resource allocation, infrastructure development, and predicting future trends in a city's population.

3. What are the key factors that affect city population growth?

The key factors that affect city population growth include birth rate, death rate, immigration, emigration, economic opportunities, and quality of life. These factors can vary greatly between different cities and can have a significant impact on population growth.

4. How is algebra used to study city population growth?

Algebra is used in the mathematical model for city population growth to represent the relationships between different variables and to make predictions about future population trends. It allows for a quantitative analysis of population growth and helps in understanding the underlying factors that influence it.

5. Can the algebra problem for city population growth be applied to any city?

Yes, the algebra problem for city population growth can be applied to any city as long as accurate data on initial population, growth rate, and other relevant factors is available. However, different cities may have unique characteristics that can affect their population growth, so the model may need to be adjusted accordingly.