Clarification About Heating Metals (basics)

In summary, the temperature of a solid metal will increase to reach its melting point, remain constant while breaking down the material, and then increase again after the solid completely melts. This is due to the heat being used for phase changes in the first and third scenarios, and for breaking down bonds in the second scenario.
lc99

Homework Statement

So i have a few scenerios on my physics prelab that I want to clear up and understand.

1) What happens to the temperature when you heat up a solid metal much below its melting point?
2) What about when the solid metal starts to melt (and you are heating it still)?
3) What about when the solid completely melts?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1) I think that the temperature wouldn't rise. This is because all the heat is going into breaking up the bonds that make the steel solid. So, the temperature should stay constant.

2) The temperature would rise. This is because in the melting phase, the object's temperature would have the opportunity to rise as the solid has broken down.

3) the temperature would go back to constant. The heat is used to get the temperature up to the next phase change (just like in the first scenario)

Physics news on Phys.org
In (1), you are saying that when you direct a flame onto a block of metal, the metal doesn't get hotter?

"much below" means "way below"

NascentOxygen said:
In (1), you are saying that when you direct a flame onto a block of metal, the metal doesn't get hotter?

"much below" means "way below"
oops. i think i made a mistake.

1) increase to get to the melting temp
2) constant to break down the material
3) increase like 1

(3) increases until ...?

1. What is the process of heating metals?

The process of heating metals involves using external heat sources such as flames, furnaces, or electric heaters to increase the temperature of the metal. This causes the metal atoms to vibrate faster, resulting in an increase in thermal energy and ultimately, a rise in temperature.

2. Why do we heat metals?

Heating metals is done for various reasons, such as shaping or forming the metal, increasing its ductility, removing impurities or contaminants, and altering its mechanical properties. It is also used in various industrial processes such as welding, forging, and annealing.

3. What happens to metals when they are heated?

When metals are heated, their internal energy increases, causing the atoms to move more vigorously. This leads to a change in the metal's physical properties, such as expansion, softening, and changes in color. In some cases, heating can also cause chemical reactions to occur, resulting in changes in the metal's composition.

4. Can all metals be heated?

No, not all metals can be heated with the same ease. Some metals, such as aluminum and copper, have a relatively low melting point and can be easily heated and melted. On the other hand, metals like tungsten and titanium have a very high melting point and require extremely high temperatures to be heated.

5. Is there a limit to how hot we can heat metals?

Yes, there is a limit to how hot we can heat metals. Each metal has a specific melting point, which is the temperature at which it changes from a solid to a liquid state. Heating a metal beyond its melting point will result in it melting and losing its structural integrity. Additionally, extremely high temperatures can also cause the metal to react with other substances in its environment, resulting in unwanted chemical reactions and potentially damaging the metal.