Clarification on a topic in Apostol's calculus text

In summary: Apostol tells you how to prove inequality 1.5, namely either deduce it from the more precise equalities given prior to it, or use induction to prove it directly. have you tried induction? A remark: if you can't do this fairly easily, then I suspect this may not be the best book for you.
Srichan
Hi all,
I am a newbie and this is my first post in PF. I have recently started on learning calculus and I'm using Apostol's calculus-I (second edition). I need some clarification on "The method of exhaustion for the area of a parabolic segment" (I 1.3 page 3). I'm able to follow the author till equation I.4 in page 6. After that there is a statement "For our purposes, we do not need the exact expressions given in the right-hand members of (I.3) and (I.4). All we need are the two inequalities" and there is equation - I.5 after that. Can someone explain me the reason how one can obtain equation I.5 (the inequality equation)?
Thankyou for reading my post

Physics news on Phys.org
Srichan said:
Hi all,
I am a newbie and this is my first post in PF. I have recently started on learning calculus and I'm using Apostol's calculus-I (second edition). I need some clarification on "The method of exhaustion for the area of a parabolic segment" (I 1.3 page 3). I'm able to follow the author till equation I.4 in page 6. After that there is a statement "For our purposes, we do not need the exact expressions given in the right-hand members of (I.3) and (I.4). All we need are the two inequalities" and there is equation - I.5 after that. Can someone explain me the reason how one can obtain equation I.5 (the inequality equation)?
Thankyou for reading my post
I don't have Apostol's text, so it would be helpful if you told us what the inequalities are that are puzzling you.

Thanks for the reply
http://books.google.co.in/books?id=vTpbq0UPDaQC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

above is the link for google book. The derivation for area of parabolic segment starts at page 3 and my doubt is equation I.5 (page 6) which is covered in preview.

I'm not sure how to present the derivation in the forum. I cannot scan or photograph the book as it will be against copyrights. If you find the above google book not appropriate, shall I make a word document reproducing the contents of the book ? please provide your comments

Srichan said:
Thanks for the reply
http://books.google.co.in/books?id=vTpbq0UPDaQC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

above is the link for google book. The derivation for area of parabolic segment starts at page 3 and my doubt is equation I.5 (page 6) which is covered in preview.

I'm not sure how to present the derivation in the forum. I cannot scan or photograph the book as it will be against copyrights. If you find the above google book not appropriate, shall I make a word document reproducing the contents of the book ? please provide your comments
"Fair use" would allow you to scan a paragraph or so without violating copyright protection. Best would be to type the inequalities directly into the input pane here. There are a number of symbols available to use when you click the ##\Sigma## button on the green row of icons above the input pane.

Apostol himself tells you how to prove inequality 1.5, namely either deduce it from the more precise equalities given prior to it, or use induction to prove it directly. have you tried induction? A remark: if you can't do this fairly easily, then I suspect this may not be the best book for you.

mathwonk said:
Apostol himself tells you how to prove inequality 1.5, namely either deduce it from the more precise equalities given prior to it, or use induction to prove it directly. have you tried induction? A remark: if you can't do this fairly easily, then I suspect this may not be the best book for you.
I am able to prove the inequality by induction. I can also understand how the inequality can be derived from I.3 and I.4. I am able to follow till I.4 without any problem. But at I.5, I am not able to understand why the author wrote such a equation. Is that because he already takes A=b^3/3 wants to prove the same?

Please refer the attachment for the problem

Attachments

• proofbyexhaustion.pdf
    287 KB · Views: 412
apostol is using equation 1.5 to prove that A = b^3/3. It seems to me this should be clear from reading his exposition. I.e. he gives an argument to deduce this and says "this is why Archimedes" knew that A = b^3/3. But perhaps you are asking how he thought of it, rather than how he proved it. I.e. perhaps you follow logically every step in Apostol's proof but not how he thought to make those steps. You ask us to tell you "how apostol obtained equation 1.5", but that could mean either how he proved it or how he he thiought of it. Indeed he is not telling you how he thought of these calculations. You might be ijnterested in Archimedes' work "the method" where he shows how he discovered using physics the facts that he afterwards proved logically.

Last edited:
Thankyou mathwonk. I'll go through "the method"

1. What is the main focus of Apostol's calculus text?

Apostol's calculus text focuses on providing a thorough understanding of the fundamental concepts of calculus and their applications in mathematics, science, and engineering.

2. Is Apostol's calculus text suitable for beginners?

No, Apostol's calculus text is more suitable for advanced students who already have a strong foundation in calculus and are looking for a deeper understanding of the subject.

3. Are there any prerequisites for understanding Apostol's calculus text?

Yes, it is recommended to have a strong grasp of algebra, trigonometry, and basic calculus concepts before diving into Apostol's text.

4. Does Apostol's calculus text cover both single and multivariable calculus?

Yes, Apostol's text covers both single and multivariable calculus, providing a comprehensive understanding of the subject.

5. What makes Apostol's calculus text different from other calculus textbooks?

Apostol's calculus text is known for its rigorous and analytical approach to teaching calculus, making it a favorite among mathematicians and scientists. It also includes challenging exercises and problems to enhance critical thinking skills.