Fundamental theorem of calculus and more....

In summary: To find $F(x)$, put the limits in $\displaystyle \frac{t^3}{3}+C \bigg|_{t=2}^{t=x} = \bigg(\frac{x^3}{3}+C\bigg)-\bigg(\frac{2^3}{3}+C\bigg)$And the $C$'s cancel so we're left with $\displaystyle \frac{x^3}{3}-\frac{2^3}{3}~ $ $\Longleftarrow $ and this is $F(x)$. Now that we have $F(x)$, to find
ertagon2
So as always I come here to make sure my maths homework is right and ask few questions to make sure I understand the topic.
Here is my homework:
View attachment 7705

Q.1 I'm fairly certain that this is correct, however, please check if I didn't do any stupid mistakes.

Q.2 Same as above.

Q.3 Now here is where the problems start is the equation inside the integral sign f(x)'? What about "c"? Does it cancel out? How? I know this is based on fundamental theorem of calculus can you explain using normal language what it is. Is the answer correct ?

Q.4 I differentiated the equation. Inserted 4 as x. Got 5.11... Is this correct? Same questions as Q.3

Q.5 Seems easy enough. Just basic calculus. Please check if right.

Attachments

• maths 2.png
    maths 2.png
    11.3 KB · Views: 96
Physics news on Phys.org
#2 and #4 are incorrect ... the rest are ok

skeeter said:
#2 and #4 are incorrect ... the rest are ok

I just checked and it seems that the answer to Q.2 is 4.5. Could you please explain what is incorrect?

ertagon2 said:
Q.2 Same as above.
It's incorrect. I think you have found $\displaystyle \int_{-2}^{1}|1+2x| \,{dx}$ which is different to $\displaystyle \int_{-2}^{1}1+2x \,{dx}$.
Q.3 Now here is where the problems start is the equation inside the integral sign f(x)'? What about "c"? Does it cancel out? How? I know this is based on fundamental theorem of calculus can you explain using normal language what it is. Is the answer correct ?
Yes, the answer is correct. But I'll try to answer some of your queries regarding this part.

The part of theorem is they want you to use is: if $\displaystyle F(x) = \int_a^x\!f(t)\,d{t}$ then $F'(x) = f(x)$. So, the equation inside integral is not $f(x)$. It's $f(t)$.

It's a definite integral, not an indefinite integral. The bound/limit variable $x$ defines your function, whereas in indefinite integrals your function is defined in terms of a variable in the integrand. In Plain English, if your function $F(x)$ is defined by an integral of $f(t)$ (with respect to $t$) going from a constant (in this case $a$) to a variable (in this case $x$), then you can find the derivative of your function $F(x)$ by taking $f(t)$ and replacing $t$ with $x.$

If you're wondering 'what happened to the $a$?' 'whereas the $C$?' etc and are thinking of in terms of indefinite integrals, perhaps the following example might prove useful. Consider the following, where have $f(t) = t^2$.

$\displaystyle F(x) = \int_2^{x} t^2\,{dt}$

Suppose want to find $F'(x)$. First, if you find the indefinite integral you get:

$\displaystyle \int t^2 \,{dt} = \frac{t^3}{3}+C$

But remember this is not $F(x)$. To find $F(x)$, put the limits in

$\displaystyle \frac{t^3}{3}+C \bigg|_{t=2}^{t=x} = \bigg(\frac{x^3}{3}+C\bigg)-\bigg(\frac{2^3}{3}+C\bigg)$

And the $C$'s cancel so we're left with $\displaystyle \frac{x^3}{3}-\frac{2^3}{3}~ $ $\Longleftarrow $ and this is $F(x)$.

Now that we have $F(x)$, to find $F'(x)$ we just differentiate: $\displaystyle F'(x) = \frac{d}{dx} \bigg(\frac{x^3}{3}-\frac{2^3}{3}\bigg) = x^2.$

So the part that resulted from the lower bound constant $a=2$ disappeared after we differentiated because it was a constant.

The statement if $\displaystyle F(x) = \int_a^x\!f(t)\,d{t}$ then $F'(x) = f(x)$ shortens this process (since the part given by the lower bound is constant and differentiates to $0$).

Instead of going all through that we look at the integral and say $f(t) = t^2$ so $f(x) = x^2$ hence $F'(x) = f(x) = x^2.$There's another part of the theorem you may have learned that says if $F'(x) = f(x)$

$\displaystyle \int_a^b f(t)\, dt = F(b)-F(a)$.
Q.4 I differentiated the equation. Inserted 4 as x. Got 5.11... Is this correct? Same questions as Q.3
The answer is not correct. You may have missed/misplaced a constant. The method is the same as above.

Last edited:
June29 said:
It's incorrect. I think you have found $\displaystyle \int_{-2}^{1}|1+2x| \,{dx}$ which is different to $\displaystyle \int_{-2}^{1}1+2x \,{dx}$. Yes, the answer is correct. But I'll try to answer some of your queries regarding this part.

The part of theorem is they want you to use is: if $\displaystyle F(x) = \int_a^x\!f(t)\,d{t}$ then $F'(x) = f(x)$. So, the equation inside integral is not $f(x)$. It's $f(t)$.

It's a definite integral, not an indefinite integral. The bound/limit variable $x$ defines your function, whereas in indefinite integrals your function is defined in terms of a variable in the integrand. In Plain English, if your function $F(x)$ is defined by an integral of $f(t)$ (with respect to $t$) going from a constant (in this case $a$) to a variable (in this case $x$), then you can find the derivative of your function $F(x)$ by taking $f(t)$ and replacing $t$ with $x.$

If you're wondering 'what happened to the $a$?' 'whereas the $C$?' etc and are thinking of in terms of indefinite integrals, perhaps the following example might prove useful. Consider the following, where have $f(t) = t^2$.

Suppose want to find $F'(x)$. First, if you find the indefinite integral you get:

$\displaystyle \frac{t^3}{3}+C \bigg|_{t=2}^{t=x} = \bigg(\frac{x^3}{3}+C\bigg)-\bigg(\frac{2^3}{3}+C\bigg)$

And the $C$'s cancel so we're left with $\displaystyle \frac{x^3}{3}-\frac{2^3}{3}~ $ $\Longleftarrow $ and this is $F(x)$.

Now that we have $F(x)$, to find $F'(x)$ we just differentiate: $\displaystyle F'(x) = \frac{d}{dx} \bigg(\frac{x^3}{3}-\frac{2^3}{3}\bigg) = x^2.$

So the part that resulted from the lower bound constant $a=2$ disappeared after we differentiated because it was a constant.

The statement if $\displaystyle F(x) = \int_a^x\!f(t)\,d{t}$ then $F'(x) = f(x)$ shortens this process (since the part given by the lower bound is constant and differentiates to $0$).

Instead of going all through that we look at the integral and say $f(t) = t^2$ so $f(x) = x^2$ hence $F'(x) = f(x) = x^2.$There's another part of the theorem you may have learned that says if $F'(x) = f(x)$

The answer is not correct. You may have missed/misplaced a constant. The method is the same as above.

Thank you very much. It made everything so much easier.
About Q.2 I didn't read it correctly. I thought they wanted me to calculate the area of triangles e.g $\displaystyle \int_{-2}^{1}|1+2x| \,{dx}$ but they only want me to use geometric approach to find the net area under/above function e.g $\displaystyle \int_{-2}^{1}1+2x \,{dx}$ which can be also done using normal calculus. The answer is "0" am I right ?

Last edited:
ertagon2 said:
Thank you very much. It made everything so much easier.
About Q.2 I didn't read it correctly. I thought they wanted me to calculate the area of triangles e.g $\displaystyle \int_{-2}^{1}|1+2x| \,{dx}$ but they only want me to use geometric approach to find the net area under/above function e.g $\displaystyle \int_{-2}^{1}1+2x \,{dx}$ which can be also done using normal calculus. The answer is "0" am I right ?
Spot on!

ertagon2 said:
...About Q.2 I didn't read it correctly. I thought they wanted me to calculate the area of triangles e.g $\displaystyle \int_{-2}^{1}|1+2x| \,{dx}$ but they only want me to use geometric approach to find the net area under/above function e.g $\displaystyle \int_{-2}^{1}1+2x \,{dx}$ which can be also done using normal calculus. The answer is "0" am I right ?

You could also use a substitution here to check your result:

\(\displaystyle u=x+\frac{1}{2}\implies du=dx\)

And the definite integral becomes:

\(\displaystyle 2\int_{-\Large{\frac{3}{2}}}^{\Large{\frac{3}{2}}} u\,du\)

And by the odd-function rule, we know this evaluates to zero.

June29 said:
It's incorrect. I think you have found $\displaystyle \int_{-2}^{1}|1+2x| \,{dx}$ which is different to $\displaystyle \int_{-2}^{1}1+2x \,{dx}$. Yes, the answer is correct. But I'll try to answer some of your queries regarding this part.

Is Q.4 in radians ? I got "8" as an answer when I used radians instead of degreed. If so how was I supposed to know that I should use radians

Q.4

$\frac{f(x)''= cos(\pi{x}^{2})\pi2x}{\pi}$

how was I supposed to know that cos() is in radians ? I mean it could be as well number of degrees based on $\pi$

In calculus, we assume radians. If degrees are used they should be specified but that is rare if not non-existent.

The derivation of $\dfrac{d \sin(x)}{dx}= \cos(x)$ uses the limit $\displaystyle\lim_{x\to 0}\dfrac{\sin(x)}{x}= 1$. That is true only if $x$ is in radians.

What is the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The fundamental theorem of calculus is a fundamental concept in calculus that establishes the relationship between differentiation and integration. It states that the integral of a function can be evaluated by finding its antiderivative and evaluating it at the upper and lower limits of integration.

What is the significance of the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The fundamental theorem of calculus allows us to find the exact area under a curve by using the concept of antiderivatives. This is extremely useful in many fields, including physics, engineering, and economics.

What is the difference between the first and second fundamental theorem of calculus?

The first fundamental theorem of calculus states the relationship between differentiation and integration, while the second fundamental theorem of calculus shows how to use this relationship to evaluate definite integrals.

What are some real-world applications of the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The fundamental theorem of calculus is used in many real-world applications, such as finding the area under a curve, calculating the velocity and acceleration of an object, and determining the total change in a quantity over a given time period.

How can the fundamental theorem of calculus be extended to higher dimensions?

The fundamental theorem of calculus can be extended to higher dimensions through the use of multiple integrals, which involve integrating over a two-dimensional or three-dimensional region. This allows us to find the volume under a surface or the hypervolume in higher dimensions.