Clarify interaction between real and virtual particles....

In summary, The interaction between real and virtual particles is taken into account when computing the actual path of an electron. This includes interactions with virtual particles and the case of no interactions at all. Conservation of 4-momentum prevents real particles from hitting virtual particles and changing direction.
asimov42
Hi all,

I've read a number of posts on virtual particles (including one of my own), but I'm still confused about one aspect - the interaction between real and virtual particles.

Say we have an electron moving from position A to position B. As the electron moves, there should be virtual electron-positron pairs popping into existence along the trajectory due to vacuum fluctuations (i.e., the vacuum energy). When computing the actual path of the electron, I should sum over all possible ways to get from A to B ... this would include interactions with the virtual particles (in which, e.g., the real electron annihilates with one of the virtual positrons), etc., etc., AND the case of no interactions at all - is this correct?

Also as asked by a poster in another thread (and for my own curiosity): "And what's to prevent real particles from hitting a virtual particle (as it is in the process of popping into and out of existence) and then flying off in a different direction?"

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
asimov42 said:
When computing the actual path of the electron, I should sum over all possible ways to get from A to B ... this would include interactions with the virtual particles (in which, e.g., the real electron annihilates with one of the virtual positrons), etc., etc., AND the case of no interactions at all - is this correct?
Essentially. This is taken into account in the renormalisation of the electron propagator.

Also as asked by a poster in another thread (and for my own curiosity): "And what's to prevent real particles from hitting a virtual particle (as it is in the process of popping into and out of existence) and then flying off in a different direction?"
Conservation of 4-momentum.

1. What is the difference between real and virtual particles?

Real particles are physical particles that exist in the universe and can be observed and measured. Virtual particles, on the other hand, are particles that exist only temporarily as a result of quantum fluctuations and cannot be directly observed.

2. How do real and virtual particles interact with each other?

Real and virtual particles can interact through the exchange of force-carrying particles, such as photons or gluons. This interaction is governed by the laws of quantum mechanics.

3. Can virtual particles become real particles?

Yes, virtual particles can become real particles under certain conditions. For example, in particle accelerators, the high energy collisions can create new particles from the energy of the virtual particles.

4. How do virtual particles contribute to physical phenomena?

Virtual particles play a crucial role in quantum field theory, where they are used to explain the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions. They also contribute to the Casimir effect, which is a physical force between two parallel plates due to the presence of virtual particles.

5. Are virtual particles necessary for our understanding of the universe?

Yes, virtual particles are an important concept in quantum mechanics and are necessary for our understanding of the fundamental forces and particles in the universe. They also help explain various physical phenomena, such as the stability of atoms and the behavior of particles in accelerators.