Clarifying Young's Modulus and Stiffness Equations for Cantilever Oscillation

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the time period T of a complete oscillation of a cantilever, using the equation k = E. There is confusion about the definition of the parameter "stiffness" and whether it is the same as Young's modulus.
zeldaspurpose
Just want clarification on two equations.

So basically, I want to calculate the time period T of the complete oscillation of a cantilever. I use this equation.
hgNhdyiGUWA0f0WGolN4oq1Bx-NZ1iowri5CpO8veyOtjCeHwE5adN_Yd_f4nRQuMtwgetzwGduNQIVJDG8JPhi9RU_xNd3j.png

Is E equal to young's modulus or is it equal to stiffness? If it is equal to stiffness, can I use this equation to calculate the stiffness?
k =
upload_2017-6-6_17-47-32.png

Thank you in advance. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your definition of the parameter that you call "stiffness?"

In my case, I think it is the resistance of deflection. However, when I search online that is also the definition for Young Modulus. Yet there's these two different equations which is confusing.

1. What is Young's Modulus?

Young's Modulus, also known as the elastic modulus or modulus of elasticity, is a measure of a material's stiffness. It describes the relationship between stress (force per unit area) and strain (deformation) in a material under tension or compression.

2. How is Young's Modulus calculated?

Young's Modulus is calculated by dividing the stress by the strain, given by the equation E = σ/ε, where E is Young's Modulus, σ is the stress, and ε is the strain. The resulting value is expressed in units of pressure or force per unit area, typically in Pascals (Pa) or pounds per square inch (psi).

3. What is the difference between Young's Modulus and stiffness?

Young's Modulus and stiffness are often used interchangeably, but they have slightly different meanings. While Young's Modulus specifically refers to a material's resistance to deformation under tension or compression, stiffness is a more general term that describes a material's resistance to all types of deformation, including bending and shearing.

4. How does Young's Modulus vary among different materials?

Young's Modulus can vary significantly among different materials. For example, metals generally have higher Young's Moduli than rubber or plastics. This is because the atomic structure of metals allows for more efficient energy transfer and deformation under stress. Additionally, the temperature, pressure, and composition of a material can also affect its Young's Modulus.

5. Why is Young's Modulus important in materials science?

Young's Modulus is an important property in materials science because it provides insight into a material's strength and stiffness. This information is crucial for designing and engineering structures and products that can withstand different types of forces and loads. Additionally, knowing a material's Young's Modulus can also help in selecting the most suitable material for a specific application.