Classical uncertainty principle

In summary, the classical uncertainty principle applies to micro-level objects and it is a consequence of the Fourier transform and definition of frequency. It does not apply to macro-sized objects, such as a violin string, because everything averages out. When trying to measure the pitch of a violin string with high accuracy, a longer measurement time is needed and vice versa.
Jeffrey Freed
What assumptions underlie the classical uncertainty principle? The principle doesn't seem to apply when I want to know the precise pitch of a tone from a bowed violin string, since I can measure the duration (as precisely as I want) of the beats produced when I interfere it with a sine wave of known frequency. The violin string is fairly simple oscillator, not a completely unknown signal, and its frequency should be constant and stable. So, does the uncertainty principle apply only when you don't know the nature of the tone you're trying to determine the pitch of?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jeffrey Freed said:
What assumptions underlie the classical uncertainty principle? The principle doesn't seem to apply when I want to know the precise pitch of a tone from a bowed violin string, since I can measure the duration (as precisely as I want) of the beats produced when I interfere it with a sine wave of known frequency. The violin string is fairly simple oscillator, not a completely unknown signal, and its frequency should be constant and stable. So, does the uncertainty principle apply only when you don't know the nature of the tone you're trying to determine the pitch of?
The uncertainty principle has nothing to do with violin strings, as far as I know, partly because they are macro-sized objects and everything averages out. The HUP is about micro-level things (electrons, etc) taken individually.

phinds said:
The uncertainty principle has nothing to do with violin strings, as far as I know, partly because they are macro-sized objects and everything averages out. The HUP is about micro-level things (electrons, etc) taken individually.

The OP is referring to the classical (AKA mathematical) UP which basically is a consequence of how the Fourier transform (and our definition of frequency) work.
In this context all it means is that if you want to measure the pitch of the string with a good accuracy you need to measure for a long time and vice versa.

f95toli said:
The OP is referring to the classical (AKA mathematical) UP which basically is a consequence of how the Fourier transform (and our definition of frequency) work.
Ah. Thanks for giving me that understanding.

Related to Classical uncertainty principle

1. What is the Classical Uncertainty Principle?

The Classical Uncertainty Principle, also known as the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time.

2. Who discovered the Classical Uncertainty Principle?

The Classical Uncertainty Principle was first formulated by German physicist Werner Heisenberg in 1927.

3. How does the Classical Uncertainty Principle differ from the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle?

The Classical Uncertainty Principle applies to macroscopic objects, while the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle applies to microscopic particles. The Classical Uncertainty Principle also takes into account the uncertainty in the initial conditions of a system, while the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle only considers the inherent uncertainty of a particle's position and momentum.

4. What are the implications of the Classical Uncertainty Principle?

The Classical Uncertainty Principle has several implications, including the idea that the behavior of particles at the subatomic level is inherently unpredictable and that the act of observation can change the state of a particle. It also challenges the notion of determinism in physics, as it suggests that there are limits to what can be known about a system.

5. How is the Classical Uncertainty Principle used in science and technology?

The Classical Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and is used in many areas of science and technology, including particle physics, quantum computing, and cryptography. It also has applications in fields such as astronomy and chemistry, where it helps scientists understand the behavior of particles at the atomic level.