Intermediate Math Problem of the Week 12/11/2017

• Challenge
  • Thread starter PF PotW Robot
  • Start date
I am not sure how to prove it, but I am wondering if we could use the fact that$$\dfrac{a_{n+1}+1}{a_n} = 2+\dfrac{1}{a_n}$$to show that the product goes to 3/7. By the way, I think the limit should be$$\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\dfrac{a_{n+1}+1}{\prod\limits_{k=0}^{n}{a_k}}.$$In summary, this week's intermediate math problem of the week involves finding the closed form for the product ##\displaystyle\prod_{k=0}^\infty
PF PotW Robot
Here is this week's intermediate math problem of the week. We have several members who will check solutions, but we also welcome the community in general to step in. We also encourage finding different methods to the solution. If one has been found, see if there is another way. Occasionally there will be prizes for extraordinary or clever methods. Spoiler tags are optional.

Let ##a_0 = \dfrac52## and ##a_k = a_{k-1}^2 - 2## for ##k \geq 1##. Compute ##\displaystyle\prod_{k=0}^\infty \left(1 - \frac{1}{a_k} \right)## in closed form.

(PotW thanks to our friends at http://www.mathhelpboards.com/)

Likes QuantumQuest, Delta2 and Charles Link
Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
Likes QuantumQuest and Greg Bernhardt
Delta² said:
Ok I am not attempting to give a solution just saying two facts that may inspire other people to find solutions
Wolfram solves the recurrence relation and gives ##a_n=2^{2^n}+2^{-2^{n}}## (I am too rusty on solving this and it is a non linear recurrence which makes it harder)
As for the product wolfram says it converges rapidly to about 0.428571
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=product+from+0+to+infinity+of+(1-1/(2^(-2^n)+2^(2^n)))
Yes. This looks like ##\dfrac{3}{7}=\dfrac{2^2-1}{2^3-1}## which doesn't make it easier. ##a_n=2^{2^n}+2^{-{2^n}}## is easy to prove: ##a_{n+1}=(2^{2^n}+2^{-2^{n}})^2 -2=2^{2\cdot 2^{n}}+2 \cdot 2^{2^{n}} \cdot 2^{-2^{n}} + 2^{-2 \cdot 2^{n}} -2 = 2^{2\cdot 2^{n}} + 2^{-2 \cdot 2^{n}} = 2^{2^{n+1}}+2^{-2^{n+1}}## but this was only the fun part.

Last edited:
Likes QuantumQuest and Greg Bernhardt
I thought a bit of this problem I ended up for an expression for the product that involves ##\lim\limits_{n->\infty}\frac{a_{n+1}+1}{\prod\limits_{k=0}^{n}{a_k}}##. Any ideas how to handle this term?

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Though probably one needs not to solve for the recurrence equation in order to calculate the product, here is how it can be done using standard method:

assume ##a_n=x_n+\frac{1}{x_n}## ,##x_n>0## then plugging this in the recurrence relation we get ##x_n+\frac{1}{x_n}=x^2_{n-1}+\frac{1}{x^2_{n-1}} (1)##. We immediately can notice that if ##x_n=x^2_{n-1} (2)## then (1) is automatically satisfied, so by repeatedly applying (2) we get ##x_n=x_0^{2^n}##

and by ##a_0=5/2=x_0+\frac{1}{x_0}## we get ##x_0=2, x_0=\frac{1}{2}## so ##x_n=2^{2^n}## or ##x_n=2^{-2^n}## but both solutions leading to the same form for ##a_n=x_n+\frac{1}{x_n}=2^{2^n}+2^{-2^n}##.

Likes StoneTemplePython
The problem seems to have sigmoid function written all over it. If you look at the closed form of ##
2^{2^n}+2^{-2^n}## it is reminiscent of the function for

##2\cosh(z) = e^{z} + e^{-z}##, and plugging in ##e^x = z## in there (which, taking advantage of positivity, can be done), except the problem uses base ##2## not ##e## for exponentiation. And if you plug ##x_n + \frac{1}{x_n}## into ##\Big(1 - \frac{1}{a_k}\Big)## you get ##\frac{(x^2 - x + 1)}{(x^2 + 1)}## for each term. The graph of this looks eerily familiar to a curious pade approximation of the hyperbolic tangent function I did a while back. In particular

##\frac{\sinh(x)}{\cosh(x)} = \tanh(x) \approx
\frac{x}{\frac{x^{2}}{\frac{x^{2}}{\frac{x^{2}}{\frac{x^{2}}{\frac{x^{2}}{11} + 9} + 7} + 5} + 3} + 1}
= \frac{21 x \left(x^{4} + 60 y^{2} + 495\right)}{x^{6} + 210 x^{4} + 4725 x^{2} + 10395}##

plotting the graphs over say ##[-100, 100]## and the similarities jump out. Note ##f(x) = \frac{(x^2 - x + 1)}{(x^2 + 1)}## is rescaled, 'flipped' (think determinant of -1) and shifted. You can also see the squaring and increment by two here. (our problem is nesting a recurrence that squares and decrements by 2... but even so.)

I think the solution is outside my reach, but the structure bugs me.

Likes Delta2
What's really mean is, if you know the answer is ##\dfrac{3}{7}## and your calculation gets you ##\dfrac{4}{7}##.
And once again, a search for a missing sign and / or faulty index shift ...

I get ##\frac{2}{7}\lim\limits_{n->\infty}\frac{a_{n+1}+1}{\prod\limits_{k=0}^{n}{a_k}}##. That limit seems to converges to 3/2 however I just can't find a way to prove it. Can easily see that an upper bound for that limit is 2, however the limit is not 2 its 3/2 :(.

I have the same, just that I thought it is two, when it has to be 3/2.

Related to Intermediate Math Problem of the Week 12/11/2017

1. What is the Intermediate Math Problem of the Week for 12/11/2017?

The Intermediate Math Problem of the Week for 12/11/2017 is a weekly math problem that is designed to challenge students in an intermediate level of mathematics. It is typically posted on a website or social media platform for students to solve and submit their answers.

2. Who can participate in the Intermediate Math Problem of the Week?

The Intermediate Math Problem of the Week is open to anyone who is interested in solving challenging math problems. It is commonly used as a learning tool for students in an intermediate level of mathematics, but anyone can participate and submit their answers.

3. How difficult are the Intermediate Math Problems of the Week?

The difficulty of the Intermediate Math Problems of the Week varies, but they are typically designed to challenge students in an intermediate level of mathematics. They may require knowledge of basic algebra, geometry, and other intermediate math concepts.

4. Are there any rewards for solving the Intermediate Math Problem of the Week?

Some websites or social media platforms may offer rewards for correctly solving the Intermediate Math Problem of the Week, such as recognition or small prizes. However, the main purpose of these problems is to provide a fun and challenging learning experience for students.

5. How can I check my answer for the Intermediate Math Problem of the Week?

Most websites or social media platforms will provide the correct answer to the Intermediate Math Problem of the Week after the submission deadline has passed. You can also check your answer by solving the problem and comparing it to the given solution, or by asking a math teacher or tutor for assistance.