Claude Shannon "The Bit Player" movie free screening

In summary, this weekend (June 26-28), the IEEE Information Theory Society is showing a free screening of The Bit Player, a movie about Claude Shannon, the "father" of information theory. The website provided has the link and password for Vimeo. The movie is also available to watch on Curiosity Stream and Amazon Prime. It is a well-done "popular science" style documentary that tells the story of Shannon and his wife. Additionally, there is a Shannon web exhibit at Bell Labs, which is now owned by Nokia.
scottdave
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
IEEE Information Theory Society free screening of The Bit Player - a movie about Claude Shannon (father of information theory)
Likes DennisN, berkeman, jasonRF and 2 others
Engineering news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
Thanks, @scottdave . I guess it's expired now.
I know. I don't know if it will be available, again. I liked it. I'd call it a "popular science" style documentary, but well done. In the meantime, check out this Shannon web exhibit at Bell Labs https://www.bell-labs.com/claude-shannon/ I didn't realize that Nokia now owns Bell Labs.

Likes jedishrfu
It's also available if you have Amazon Prime.

Likes scottdave
Thanks for sharing. I just watched it. It is a charming story about a charming couple.

What is the movie "The Bit Player" about?

The movie "The Bit Player" is a documentary about the life and work of Claude Shannon, a mathematician and electrical engineer who is known as the "father of information theory." It explores his groundbreaking contributions to the field of communication and how they have shaped our modern world.

Why is the movie titled "The Bit Player"?

The title "The Bit Player" refers to Claude Shannon's famous paper "A Mathematical Theory of Communication" in which he introduced the concept of the "bit" as the fundamental unit of information. Shannon's work laid the foundation for digital communication and the development of the modern computer.

Is the movie based on true events?

Yes, the movie is a documentary and is based on real events and interviews with people who knew and worked with Claude Shannon. It also includes archival footage and animations to illustrate his ideas and contributions.

Who should watch this movie?

This movie is suitable for anyone interested in the history of technology, mathematics, or communication. It is also a great watch for those who are curious about the life and work of a brilliant scientist and how his ideas have shaped our modern world.

Where can I watch "The Bit Player" for free?

The movie "The Bit Player" is available for free screenings at select theaters and events. You can also check with your local library or university to see if they have a screening scheduled. Additionally, the movie may be available for free on certain streaming platforms or through online events and festivals.

Back