Clausius clapeyrion equation Hfg

• Thread starter johnsmith456
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Clausius
In summary, the conversation is about finding a way to calculate the enthalpy of vaporization using the Clapeyron equation. The equation has two forms and can give the value of delta Hfg between two temperatures and pressures, but the goal is to find the specific value of Hfg at a given temperature and pressure. The equation can also give the gradient of the line, which represents the change in Hfg over a range of temperatures, but the question is how to calculate Hfg itself at a specific temperature. One suggestion is to evaluate the slope over a small range of temperatures to approximate the derivative and get a numerical value for Hfg.
johnsmith456
Hi guys

I'm trying to figure out a way of calculating the enthalpy of vaporisation using the clapeyron equation.

So far I have two different forms of the clapeyron equation. However, I'm not sure how to go any further.

Ln(P2/P1) = (ΔHfg / R) ( 1/T1 - 1/T2) eqn(1)

Ln(P) = -(ΔHfg / R) (1/T) + C eqn(2)

Both of these will give the value of delta Hfg between two T's and P's. Whereas I want a particular value of Hfg at a given T and P. Is this possible?

Also from eqn (2), which is from the eqn of a straight line, give the gradient of the line to be (-Hfg/R). but surely Hfg isn't constant ?

i would have though Hfg decreases as T increases.

Anyway, the point of my question is to see how I can calculate Hfg NOT ΔHfg. I really hope this is possible?

Thanks very much in advance

kind Regards
JS

Physics news on Phys.org
##\Delta Hfg## IS the heat of vaporization. If you want the heat of vaporization at temperature T, evaluate the slope over the region from ##T+\delta T## to ##T-\delta T## where ##\delta T## is say about 10 C. This will give you a fairly accurate numerical approximation to the derivative.

1. What is the Clausius-Clapeyron equation?

The Clausius-Clapeyron equation is a thermodynamic equation that describes the relationship between temperature and vapor pressure for a substance undergoing a phase change, such as from liquid to gas. It is named after the scientists Rudolf Clausius and Benoit Paul Émile Clapeyron who independently developed the equation in the mid-19th century.

2. What does Hfg stand for in the Clausius-Clapeyron equation?

Hfg stands for enthalpy of vaporization, which is the amount of energy required to convert a substance from liquid to gas at a constant temperature and pressure.

3. How is the Clausius-Clapeyron equation used in thermodynamics?

The Clausius-Clapeyron equation is used to calculate the vapor pressure of a substance at different temperatures, as well as the enthalpy of vaporization. It is also used to understand and predict phase changes, such as boiling or condensation, and to study the behavior of substances in different states of matter.

4. What are the assumptions made in the Clausius-Clapeyron equation?

The Clausius-Clapeyron equation assumes that the substance is in a closed system, that the temperature is constant during the phase change, and that the enthalpy of vaporization is also constant. It also assumes that the substance follows ideal gas behavior.

5. Can the Clausius-Clapeyron equation be used for all substances?

No, the Clausius-Clapeyron equation is based on ideal gas behavior and therefore may not accurately describe the behavior of all substances. It is most commonly used for low-pressure systems and for substances with similar molecular structures, such as water and other small molecules.