Clebsch–Gordan coefficients: An Identity

In summary, The speaker is trying to obtain the next identity in the form of <j1, j2; m1, m2 |j, m> and is asking for help. They mention starting with Clebsch–Gordan coefficients to express the addition of two angular momenta in terms of a third. They provide a general expression for the CG coefficients and mention that the case they are considering is when j1 = j3 = j, j2 = 1, m1 = m3 = m, and m2 = 0. They sum over n = 0, 1 in this case.
victor01
TL;DR Summary
I have a problem getting a Clebsch–Gordan Identity
Hi, everyone. I'm trying to get the next identity

Anotación 2020-05-25 222341.png

It is in the format <j1, j2; m1, m2 |j, m>. I hope you can help me

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your starting point? Wigner 3j-symbols?

DrClaude said:
What is your starting point? Wigner 3j-symbols?
Hi, DrClaude.
I start with Clebsch–Gordan coefficients to arise angular momentum coupling i.e. express the addition of two angular momenta in terms of a third.

victor01 said:
Summary:: I have a problem getting a Clebsch–Gordan Identity

Hi, everyone. I'm trying to get the next identity

View attachment 263536

It is in the format <j1, j2; m1, m2 |j, m>. I hope you can help me
The general expression for the CG coefficients is [tex]\begin{align*}C_{j_{3}m_{3}}(j_{1}j_{2};m_{1}m_{2}) &= \delta_{m_{3},m_{1}+m_{2}} \left( \frac{(2j_{3}+1) (j_{1} + j_{2} -j_{3})!(j_{1} + j_{3} - j_{2})!(j_{2} + j_{3} - j_{1})!}{(j_{1}+j_{2}+j_{3}+1)!}\right)^{1/2} \\ & \times \left( \prod_{i = 1}^{3}[(j_{i} - m_{i})!] \prod_{i = 1}^{3}[(j_{i} + m_{i})!]\right)^{1/2} \\ & \times \sum_{n} \frac{(-1)^{n}}{n! (j_{1} + j_{2} - j_{3} - n)!(j_{1} - m_{1} - n)!(j_{2} - m_{2} - n)!(j_{3} - j_{1} - m_{2} + n)!(j_{3} - j_{2} + m_{1} + n)!} , \end{align*}[/tex] where we take the sum over [itex]n[/itex] when non-of the arguments of factorials are negative. The case you are considering: [itex]j_{1} = j_{3} \equiv j, \ j_{2} = 1, \ m_{1} = m_{3} \equiv m, \ m_{2} = 0[/itex], you sum over [itex]n = 0 , 1[/itex].

Likes DrClaude

1. What are Clebsch-Gordan coefficients?

Clebsch-Gordan coefficients are mathematical values used in the study of quantum mechanics to describe the coupling of angular momenta of two particles. They are named after German mathematician Alfred Clebsch and Austrian physicist Carl Gordan, who first introduced them in the late 19th century.

2. How are Clebsch-Gordan coefficients used?

Clebsch-Gordan coefficients are used to calculate the probabilities of different states of a quantum system. They are also used to determine the possible outcomes of measurements on a quantum system and to describe the interactions between particles.

3. What is the significance of the Clebsch-Gordan identity?

The Clebsch-Gordan identity is an important mathematical relationship that allows for the simplification of calculations involving Clebsch-Gordan coefficients. It states that the product of two Clebsch-Gordan coefficients is equal to a sum of other Clebsch-Gordan coefficients, making calculations more efficient and manageable.

4. Are Clebsch-Gordan coefficients only used in quantum mechanics?

No, Clebsch-Gordan coefficients are also used in other areas of physics, such as nuclear physics and atomic physics, to describe the coupling of angular momenta in these systems. They are also used in other fields, such as chemistry and engineering, to model and understand complex systems.

5. How are Clebsch-Gordan coefficients related to other mathematical concepts?

Clebsch-Gordan coefficients are closely related to other mathematical concepts, such as spherical harmonics, Wigner 3-j symbols, and group theory. They are also connected to the concept of angular momentum and its conservation in physical systems. Understanding these relationships can help in the application and interpretation of Clebsch-Gordan coefficients.