Closed form of the position of a bouncing ball

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the height of a bouncing ball after multiple bounces. This can be done by resetting the origin of time and using a step-by-step simulation. The fraction of kinetic energy lost each bounce is determined to be 1-e^2, and the duration of the nth bounce is yet to be determined.
Bibibis
Homework Statement
This is not a physics homework per se, but I'm implementing an explosion shader in OpenGL for class and I want the triangles to bounce when hitting the y=0 plane. In my current setup it is not possible to save the triangle's velocity or position and so each frame I compute the position of each triangle with a ballistic equation, and for now I simply set y=0 for triangles that would go below the plane y=0.

Is there a closed form for the position (or rather height as the x axis is irrelevant here) of a bouncing ball, and if not why can't there be one?
Relevant Equations
Ballistic equation: ##y = g * t * t + v_0 * t + y_0##
Elasticity of ball: ##e##
Velocity after bounce: ##v_{after} = e * -v_{before}##
I know that the height before the first bounce will be ##y = g * t * t + v_0 * t + y_0##.
After the first bounce, I can find y by pretending the ball was thrown from the ground with velocity ##e * -v_f## with ##v_f## being the velocity of the ball when hitting the ground, but I have to reset the origin of time by subtracting the time it took until the first bounce (##t_1##) so ##y = g * (t - t_1) * (t - t_1) + (e * -v_f) * (t - t_1)##. I can repeat this for as many bounces as needed so this is easy to do in a step-by-step simulation, but I can't seem to figure out how to find a rigorous closed form from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bibibis said:
how to find a rigorous closed form
Can you figure out the fraction of KE lost each bounce?

haruspex said:
Can you figure out the fraction of KE lost each bounce?
Right before bouncing, KE is ##\frac{1}{2}mv_{before}^2## and right after the bounce it is ##\frac{1}{2}e^2mv_{before}^2##, thus the fraction of KE lost each bounce should be ##1-e^2##, correct?

Bibibis said:
Right before bouncing, KE is ##\frac{1}{2}mv_{before}^2## and right after the bounce it is ##\frac{1}{2}e^2mv_{before}^2##, thus the fraction of KE lost each bounce should be ##1-e^2##, correct?
Right.
Next, can you figure out the duration of the nth bounce?

What is the closed form of the position of a bouncing ball?

The closed form of the position of a bouncing ball is a mathematical equation that describes the height of the ball at any given time during its bounce. It takes into account factors such as gravity, initial velocity, and the elasticity of the ball and surface it is bouncing on.

How is the closed form of the position of a bouncing ball derived?

The closed form equation is derived using principles of physics, specifically the laws of motion and energy conservation. It involves solving differential equations to find the relationship between time and position of the ball during each bounce.

What factors affect the closed form of the position of a bouncing ball?

The closed form equation is affected by several factors, including the initial velocity of the ball, the gravitational force, the elasticity of the ball and surface, and any external forces acting on the ball (such as air resistance).

Can the closed form of the position of a bouncing ball be used to predict the height of the ball at any given time?

Yes, the closed form equation can be used to predict the height of the ball at any given time during its bounce. However, it is important to note that the equation assumes ideal conditions and may not accurately predict the height of a real-life bouncing ball.

Are there any limitations to the closed form of the position of a bouncing ball?

Yes, there are limitations to the closed form equation. It assumes ideal conditions, such as a perfectly round and smooth ball and a perfectly flat and rigid surface. It also does not take into account external factors such as air resistance, which can affect the ball's trajectory and height during a bounce.