Closed Time-Like Curves: Principles & Observations

In summary, closed time curves (CTC) are world lines that close upon themselves. An observer would have to demonstrate events that reoccur in order to demonstrate a CTC.
Paul Colby
Insights Author
Gold Member
Hi,

If I understand correctly, closed time like curves (CTC) are world lines that close upon themselves. What would an observer measure to demonstrate a CTC?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the reference. Not certain how it relates to potential experiments which might demonstrate a CTC. Seems to me that one would have to demonstrate events which reoccur or a related phenomena that implies such which itself would have to be reoccurring. Wouldn't showing reoccurrence imply memory or records of past events? Maybe this is the point we mumble something obscure about QM and move along.

Wouldn't it require something very obvious and easily observable to be causing the curve to exist, like a wormhole?

Grinkle said:
Wouldn't it require something very obvious and easily observable to be causing the curve to exist, like a wormhole?

Sure, but I think this side steps the question I really want to ask but find hard to articulate clearly. One may, for example, take a flat Minkowski space-time and impose periodic boundary conditions creating a model with CTC. How would one go about demonstrating or refuting a CTC in such a model when locally it's the same as one without a CTC? In GR events exist as a set and are given labels, coordinates. In practice, an event is only observable when something happens at those coordinates. As this example seems to show, CTC is only an artifact of bad event labeling.

Paul Colby said:
One may, for example, take a flat Minkowski space-time and impose periodic boundary conditions creating a model with CTC. How would one go about demonstrating or refuting a CTC in such a model when locally it's the same as one without a CTC?

You would have to find a way of probing the global topology of the spacetime; the CTC version of Minkowski spacetime that you describe is not simply connected, whereas ordinary Minkowski spacetime is simply connected.

Paul Colby said:
As this example seems to show, CTC is only an artifact of bad event labeling.

No, it isn't; the two spacetimes you describe have different topologies and are therefore different manifolds.

PeterDonis said:
No, it isn't; the two spacetimes you describe have different topologies and are therefore different manifolds.

They are different manifolds for certain, globally. My use of "locally the same" I believe is correct if I recall my topology classes.

The only observations I can think of that would tell us this would be the non periodic nature of observed events. How would we observe periodic ones if all things are periodic including the experimenter?

PeterDonis said:
You would have to find a way of probing the global topology of the spacetime;

I know of no nonlocal measurements that are not in some way comprised of local ones. So is the answer, no they are not observable?

Paul Colby said:
My use of "locally the same" I believe is correct if I recall my topology classes.

Locally you can't tell one topology from another; locally all manifolds look like a small piece of ##R^4## (or ##R## of whatever dimension you are working with).

Paul Colby said:
I know of no nonlocal measurements that are not in some way comprised of local ones.

Comprised of local measurements made at different points in the manifold. Combining the results from such measurements can tell you things that measurements made at just one point in the manifold will not tell you.

1. What are closed time-like curves (CTCs)?

Closed time-like curves are theoretical constructs that describe a potential path through space-time that allows an object to return to its own past. This means that an object on a CTC could potentially interact with its past self, leading to paradoxes and violations of causality.

2. How do CTCs work?

CTCs are based on the concept of time travel, where an object can travel through time and return to its own past. In order for this to occur, the space-time must be warped in a way that allows for a closed loop or curve to form. This warping is often associated with extreme gravitational forces, such as those near a black hole.

3. Are CTCs possible?

Currently, CTCs are only theoretical and have not been observed or proven to exist. They are allowed by some solutions to Einstein's equations of general relativity, but many physicists believe that they would violate the laws of physics and lead to logical inconsistencies.

4. What are the implications of CTCs?

If CTCs were to exist, they would challenge our understanding of causality and the arrow of time. They could also potentially lead to logical paradoxes, such as the grandfather paradox, where a person goes back in time and prevents their own existence.

5. How are CTCs related to time travel?

CTCs are often associated with time travel because they allow for an object to move through time and potentially interact with its own past. However, not all forms of time travel involve CTCs, and the existence of CTCs does not necessarily mean that time travel is possible.