Closing the writing loop, again with thanks

In summary, the conversation revolved around the author's third novel, Handwavium, which is more of a techno thriller than pure sci-fi. @Vanadium 50 and @stefan r provided assistance with gravitational wave triangulation. The author is now working on their next book which will delve more into sci-fi concepts and is hoping to get their friend, a screenwriter, to turn their novel into a script. The possibility of making a movie based on the novel was also discussed, with suggestions to use the Save the Cat books for guidance.
member 656954
It's only a small PF shout out for my third novel, Handwavium, because it is more techno thriller than pure sci-fi story, so it didn't ask much from the collective brainpower of the forums. Still @Vanadium 50 and @stefan r gave their assists with gravitational wave triangulation, for which I very much thank them.

The next book gets me back into sci-fi proper, with more grunty speculative concepts including wormholes, so I look forward to posing questions that trigger the imaginative fizz that this forum so often responds with 👍

Likes jedishrfu, Keith_McClary, BillTre and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
Your thread could well be a new novel based on String Theory. :-) Now if only we had a story outline.

Have you looked at the Saves the Cat books by Blake Snyder. They might give you some incentive to write a screenplay from one of your stories and from there a jump to movies.

jedishrfu said:
They might give you some incentive to write a screenplay from one of your stories and from there a jump to movies.

It's an idea, @jedishrfu, and a friend is a screenwriter so I've been hassling him to work up Guardian into a script as I think the novel would suit Netflix's Love, Death & Robots episode Lucky 13. He's provided me with 'how to' guidance, and having looked, novels and scripts are very different beasts and I don't think my skills are up to the task of creating anything worth watching 😁

That’s why I mentioned the Save the Cat books. They will honestly get you started. Usually you have to tighten up your story, reduce or combine some characters and adjust the plot for more excitement.

The formula divides a screenplay into three acts and 15 scenes That follow a kind of sine curve for the hero with A and B stories interweaving until the finale.

jedishrfu said:
They will honestly get you started.

Sorry, @jedishrfu, I didn't include that I'm hoping my friend uses his industry contacts to secure the outcome. If it's his screenplay he gets credit and cash, but he's super busy so unfortunately what I see as an incentive, he sees as an inconvenience 🤣

And he's sent me a number of script writing guides, none were Save the Cat! though, that one looks useful, thanks.

1. What is meant by "closing the writing loop"?

Closing the writing loop refers to the process of revising and editing a piece of writing in order to improve its overall quality and effectiveness. It involves going back to the beginning of the writing process and making necessary changes to ensure that the final product is polished and well-crafted.

2. Why is it important to close the writing loop?

Closing the writing loop is important because it allows for a more thorough and thoughtful approach to writing. By revisiting and revising a piece of writing, the author can catch any errors or inconsistencies and make improvements that enhance the overall impact of the piece.

3. What are some strategies for closing the writing loop?

Some strategies for closing the writing loop include taking a break from the writing to gain a fresh perspective, reading the piece aloud to catch any errors or awkward phrasing, and seeking feedback from others to get a different perspective on the writing.

4. How does closing the writing loop contribute to the overall writing process?

Closing the writing loop is a key component of the overall writing process because it allows for continual improvement and refinement of the writing. By going back and making revisions, the writer can create a more polished and effective final product.

5. Can closing the writing loop be applied to any type of writing?

Yes, closing the writing loop can be applied to any type of writing, whether it is a creative piece, an academic essay, or a professional document. It is a universal practice that can help improve the quality of any written work.