CNN parts company with their crackpot, Lou Dobbs

In summary, Lou Dobbs was a biased journalist who was eventually fired from CNN. He was also racist. Not to mention, his wife may disagree with the racist description. Dobbs' main focus was on attacking illegal immigration over the Mexican-American border, and that appears to be racist.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I think this is great for CNN. Dobbs was not a respectable journalist.
http://www.ajc.com/business/grand-exit-for-cnns-197683.html?cxtype=rss_news_128746

Like so many pseudo-journalists on TV these days, Dobbs and his show were loaded with bias. Just check any poll of his to see how ridiculous his questions had become. If someone disagreed with Dobbs, they were lucky if they were allowed to make their points. Over the years he became so abusive and biased that he finally lost me completely. In the beginning, Dobb's show was all about economics. By the end, his show was more a circus act than news.

Good riddance! Perhaps he will find a new home at Fox.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
I think this is great for CNN. Dobbs was not a respectable journalist.
http://www.ajc.com/business/grand-exit-for-cnns-197683.html?cxtype=rss_news_128746

Like so many pseudo-journalists on TV these days, Dobbs and his show were loaded with bias. Just check any poll of his to see how ridiculous his questions had become. If someone disagreed with Dobbs, they were lucky if they were allowed to make their points. Over the years he became so abusive and biased that he finally lost me completely. In the beginning, Dobb's show was all about economics. By the end, his show was more a circus act than news.

Please let me know if I have gone over the following before(Senility Now!)

Lou Dobbs

ou Do's

Hou Don's

Hugh Downs

I've never seen, to my recollection, Lou Dobbs on TV.
Though that is not difficult, as I've only watched about 3 hours worth in the last 2 months.

Anyways, before anyone gets even more confused as to what I'm talking about, I keep picturing Hugh in my my mind every time someone mentions Lou.

pf_dobb_downs.jpg

Ok. I guess that is the whole point of my post. Old people all look alike.

Oh wait. This also kind of reminds me of the decline of journalism thread:

After graduating from Harvard University, Dobbs worked in government and banking before becoming a news reporter for several local media outlets. He worked with CNN since it was founded in 1980 and served as a reporter and vice president.

Downs ...: an elected member of the National Academy of Science.

Hence. I no longer watch TV to get my news.

I get my news from PF.com!

And yes, I do remember saying that before...

Do your own research from a large sum of multiple sources if you want approach some level of unbiased news.

If you think now because CNN and Lou Dobbs are no longer affiliated with each other, that CNN is now unbiased, I've got some bad news for you.

Monocerotis said:
Do your own research from a large sum of multiple sources if you want approach some level of unbiased news.

If you think now because CNN and Lou Dobbs are no longer affiliated with each other, that CNN is now unbiased, I've got some bad news for you.

Should I verify this and cross reference it. I'm so confused!

Lou Dobbs was a racist. I'm glad he's gone.

Ivan Seeking said:

It's worse, he has other ambitions:

http://www.loudobbsforpresident.org/"

Monocerotis said:

Actually, I've been getting my breaking, unbiased news from Al-Jazeera.

That was, up until yesterday, when I was browsing through their "most emailed article's", and most of them struck me as biased.

I'm afraid PF.com is my only source now. :frown:

So will someone please PM me when they announce that Anna Nicole is still dead.

Please.

OmCheeto said:
Actually, I've been getting my breaking, unbiased news from Al-Jazeera.

That was, up until yesterday, when I was browsing through their "most emailed article's", and most of them struck me as biased.

I'm afraid PF.com is my only source now. :frown:

So will someone please PM me when they announce that Anna Nicole is still dead.

Please.

Trying way too hard.

SticksandStones said:

Xenophobic is probably a more accurate description than racist. At the extreme edges, the difference between the two can be a little blurry, but there is a difference.

Hopefully, his wife would disagree with the racist description, as well, since that would probably be a pretty big impediment to marital bliss. To be fair (in spite of the fact that I disagree with him), he attacks illegal immigration and mainly illegal immigration over the Mexican-American border.

The latter certainly appears somewhat racist, since he doesn't pay much attention to the main source of illegal immigration - those that come here legally, but overstay their visa. Then again, those that initially come here legally are also more likely to have (or get) a college education and more likely to wind up a middle class taxpayer than those sneaking across the border looking for menial labor. He is perfectly willing to use overall illegal immigration statistics instead of just citing how many immigrants sneak over the Mexican-American border - a shady tactic that implies a much worse border problem than actually exists - but those promoting a path to legalization use the same stats to imply the problem is so big that a legal path to citizenship is the only option. (Illegal immigration just isn't a big enough problem to warrant headlines).

None the less, he's sloppy in his reporting. He fails to vet his sources if they support his point. His claim of illegal immigrants bringing leprosy to the US has to be some of the worst reporting ever on a major news network. His best reporting was done in the 90's and only his reputation has allowed him to hang on the last few years.

I liked watching him go after ACORN.

General_Sax said:
I liked watching him go after ACORN.
Like a dog chasing a car? My dog is very interested in vehicles, and I am training him that they are NOT to be chased, but avoided. No, Lou! No!

Monocerotis said:
Trying way too hard.

Never mind. I was listening to the radio this morning and apparently Farah Fawcett is the latest dead celebrity news fad.

I'll have to go to You-Tube to find some Dobbs.

The last Dobbs I remember was Dr. Dobbs Journal.

OmCheeto said:
Never mind. I was listening to the radio this morning and apparently Farah Fawcett is the latest dead celebrity news fad.

I'll have to go to You-Tube to find some Dobbs.

The last Dobbs I remember was Dr. Dobbs Journal.
Genaralissimo Fransisco Franco is still dead. Anna Nichole has not been dead as long as the Generalissimo, but she is arguably at least as dead, so his temporal advantage is negated.

turbo-1 said:
Genaralissimo Fransisco Franco is still dead. Anna Nichole has not been dead as long as the Generalissimo, but she is arguably at least as dead, so his temporal advantage is negated.

Thank you for the update Turbo. And I see that all is not lost with the disappearance of Dobbs. CNN is still holding on to some of their fine journalists:

wiki said:
On February 8, 2007, during Jack Cafferty's segment on CNN's The Situation Room on the day of the death of Anna Nicole Smith, he asked of CNN correspondent Wolf Blitzer
Jack Cafferty said:
Is Anna Nicole Smith still dead, Wolf?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generalissimo_Francisco_Franco_is_still_dead" because I trust wiki about as far as I can throw it)

OmCheeto said:
Thank you for the update Turbo. And I see that all is not lost with the disappearance of Dobbs. CNN is still holding on to some of their fine journalists:

On February 8, 2007, during Jack Cafferty's segment on CNN's The Situation Room on the day of the death of Anna Nicole Smith, he asked of CNN correspondent Wolf Blitzer
Jack Cafferty said:
Is Anna Nicole Smith still dead, Wolf?

Was Cafferty's quote a blunder or frustrated sarcasm at spending the entire broadcasting day giving updates on the death of a washed up Playboy model?

SticksandStones said:

how was he racist? he only spoke out against illegal immigration, not immigration and not only hispanic immigration and plus he is married to a mexican person who is just as upset as dobbs is about illegal immigration.

Last edited:
According to Politico, Dobbs is considering a run at the White House in 2012. Eek!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20091124/pl_politico/29861;_ylt=AtblgbOTPRkQ1jFA42IegZGs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTNmYzA0OTVnBGFzc2V0A3BvbGl0aWNvLzIwMDkxMTI0LzI5ODYxBGNjb2RlA21vc3Rwb3B1bGFyBGNwb3MDNARwb3MDMQRwdANob21lX2Nva2UEc2VjA3luX2hlYWRsaW5lX2xpc3QEc2xrA2Zvcm1lcmNubmhvcw--

What led to CNN parting ways with Lou Dobbs?

CNN's decision to part ways with Lou Dobbs was a result of a combination of factors, including declining ratings and controversies surrounding Dobbs' reporting on immigration and voter fraud.

Did Lou Dobbs' departure have any impact on CNN's ratings?

It is difficult to determine the exact impact of Dobbs' departure on CNN's ratings, as there are many factors that contribute to a network's ratings. However, it is worth noting that CNN's ratings for the 7pm time slot, which was previously occupied by Dobbs, have increased since his departure.

What was the reaction to CNN's announcement of parting ways with Lou Dobbs?

The reaction to CNN's announcement was mixed. Some praised the network for distancing itself from Dobbs' controversial views, while others criticized the decision as an infringement on free speech.

Will Lou Dobbs' departure affect CNN's political stance?

CNN maintains that Dobbs' departure will not affect the network's political stance. The network has stated that they will continue to provide unbiased and fact-based reporting.

What is the future for Lou Dobbs after leaving CNN?

It is unclear what Dobbs' next steps will be after leaving CNN. He has expressed interest in pursuing other media opportunities, but it is ultimately up to Dobbs to decide his future career path.