Coat Insulation Selection for the Snow and Mountaineering

• Thread starter seazal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Insulation
In summary, the best materials for an insulated jacket or snow coat in very cold weather are down or synthetics. You should select the jacket or coat based on the temperature range you will be operating in, and make sure to bring a few layers of thermal underwear and a ski jacket if you are going to be spending a lot of time outdoors in very cold weather.
seazal
I need to buy most insulated jacket or snow coat at amazon or other online retailers (because it's not locally available). What materials are best insulator for snow or very cold weather? How do you select.

What have you used that can even apply in Antarctica or in the mountain tops?

I want to use it at mountain tops so it shouldn't look so snowy fashion (as not to look odd or weird when walking inside the mall in the mountain top resorts with temperature that can reach 64 Fahrenheit (18 Celsius)).

Physics news on Phys.org
seazal said:
I need to buy most insulated jacket or snow coat at amazon or other online retailers (because it's not locally available). What materials are best insulator for snow or very cold weather? How do you select.
It depends a lot on how cold the temperatures will get. At temperatures well below, say, -20° C, down is probably your best bet, although there are some synthetic insulating materials that work pretty well. If the temperatures get up to around freezing, synthetics are better than down, since wet down loses its insulating capabilities.

seazal said:
What have you used that can even apply in Antarctica or in the mountain tops?
Nothing I have would suffice in Antarctica, but I've been to the tops of lots of mountains in the U.S -- all of the volcanoes in my home state of Washington, a few in Oregon, and a few in California, including Mt. Whitney, the highest peak in the lower 48 states. I do a lot of backpacking now, but not much in the way of mountaineering, so I haven't followed the latest trends in mountaineering clothing. Are you really considering climbing in Antarctica?

seazal said:
I want to use it at mountain tops
It depends on where the mountains are, how high they are, and what time of year you're planning to go.

Likes berkeman
Mark44 said:
It depends a lot on how cold the temperatures will get. At temperatures well below, say, -20° C, down is probably your best bet, although there are some synthetic insulating materials that work pretty well. If the temperatures get up to around freezing, synthetics are better than down, since wet down loses its insulating capabilities.

Nothing I have would suffice in Antarctica, but I've been to the tops of lots of mountains in the U.S -- all of the volcanoes in my home state of Washington, a few in Oregon, and a few in California, including Mt. Whitney, the highest peak in the lower 48 states. I do a lot of backpacking now, but not much in the way of mountaineering, so I haven't followed the latest trends in mountaineering clothing. Are you really considering climbing in Antarctica?

It depends on where the mountains are, how high they are, and what time of year you're planning to go.

In Dec 22. I will go to the mountains for vacation. The lowest temperature can reach 18 Celsius. I just want to make sure I order the right thick jacket at amazon. I already have existing jacket and it's the typical one. No I never plan to go to Antarctica. I just want a jacket with insulation used for Antarctica so the jacket/insulation i'll order at amazon will at least be right.

seazal said:
In Dec 22. I will go to the mountains for vacation. The lowest temperature can reach 18 Celsius.
You mean -18C, right? That's really not all that extreme. A normal ski jacket and a few layers of thermal underwear will do it, especially if you are moving around.

russ_watters said:
You mean -18C, right? That's really not all that extreme. A normal ski jacket and a few layers of thermal underwear will do it, especially if you are moving around.

So I must simply buy a ski jacket at amazon? Can this be used normally in malls inside very cold movie houses in the city too? I just don't want it to look weird. Or I want one with same insulation as ski jacket but can be used regularly. What must I look for in amazon? Can one give any example there of the one I need? It's expensive to return it.

russ_watters said:

I didn't mean negative 18. I just meant positive 18C or the lowest temperature setting of any airconditioning. It's just that in the mountains, the resorts have aircon in the hotels too. It's too cold so I plan to buy the thickest jacket at amazon so I won't get chill.

seazal said:
I didn't mean negative 18. I just meant positive 18C or the lowest temperature setting of any airconditioning. It's just that in the mountains, the resorts have aircon in the hotels too. It's too cold so I plan to buy the thickest jacket at amazon so I won't get chill.

I have no idea why you think you need serious thermal insulation for 18 C temperatures. A single sweater or light jacket purchased from nearly anywhere will work just fine. If that is still not enough, wear a long sleeve shirt or some thin thermals underneath.

seazal said:
Oh. In that case, I recommend one of these:

Likes BCHC and berkeman
Drakkith said:
@russ_watters is that a onesie?
Yes, it has to be a onesie because you don't want to lose heat through the overlap between the top and bottom. Also, it contains an inflatable life preserver in case the mall is consumed by a tsunami.

I wore one like it on lookout watch in the navy.

Likes BCHC and Drakkith
russ_watters said:
Yes, it has to be a onesie because you don't want to lose heat through the overlap between the top and bottom. Also, it contains an inflatable life preserver in case the mall is consumed by a tsunami.

I wore one like it on lookout watch in the navy.

If that doesn't work, I recommend this:

space-suit-8.jpg

Attachments

• space-suit-8.jpg
    space-suit-8.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 372
Likes russ_watters
russ_watters said:
Oh. In that case, I recommend one of these:

No I just need it for upper body. Where we could use it to walk casually in the malls in the mountains. It has no snow so we don't want to look weird. Again, the temperature is positive 16 Celsius (the lowest setting in aircon) adding to the very cold atmosphere of the mountain. Right now. I have to wear 3 shirts and jacket just to watch movie with very cold aircon. I'm looking for a single jacket that can function as 3 shirts and thick ordinary jacket together.

seazal said:
Right now. I have to wear 3 shirts and jacket just to watch movie with very cold aircon. I'm looking for a single jacket that can function as 3 shirts and thick ordinary jacket together.

I recommend thermals. They work much better and can't even be seen. They also cover your entire body, unlike a shirt or jacket.

Likes Tom.G
Drakkith said:
I recommend thermals. They work much better and can't even be seen. They also cover your entire body, unlike a shirt or jacket.

This an example of thermal jacket in amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JHX8XMQ/?tag=pfamazon01-20

But it doesn't seem to insulate better than 3 shirts and ordinary jacket. I need a single jacket that has insulation of 3 shirts plus ordinary jacket. What's next thicker to a themal?

Thermal underwear comes in several different weights or thicknesses. Here in Southern California all that is in the stores is the thinnest that could be called 'thermal', not much use when wandering around in the snow. Some descriptions mention the suggested temperature range. If you are after maximum effectiveness beware of those that don't state one.

Next layer would be a medium to thick long sleeve Cotton shirt. Over that either a lined flannel jacket (shirt-jack or hoodie) or a Wool shirt. The thermals and the flannel or Wool will do a very good insulating job because they trap air so well (the key for anybody insulation). Outer layer, if even needed for indoor use, can be just about anything; just something to keep the air still against the Wool.

The reason for the Cotton shirt is to keep the flannel or wool layer away from the thermal underwear. This has two advantages, first it adds a layer of still air, and second it makes movement more comfortable because the flannel or Wool is not sticking to the thermals.

Don't forget heavy socks. And a hat helps if you will be outdoors in a cold wind.

If you have any Sporting goods stores where you are, you might ask them where to get Ski wear.

Cheers,
Tom

seazal said:
In Dec 22. I will go to the mountains for vacation. The lowest temperature can reach 18 Celsius. I just want to make sure I order the right thick jacket at amazon.
Meh. I saw a kid at the school I teach at a couple of days ago. The temperature was about 4 deg. C, and he was wearing shorts, a t-shirt, and flip-flops. You definitely don't need anything that would be suitable for Antarctica.

And 18 deg. C would be a late spring day up here where I live. People would be out in shorts and t-shirts.

Mark44 said:
Meh. I saw a kid at the school I teach at a couple of days ago. The temperature was about 4 deg. C, and he was wearing shorts, a t-shirt, and flip-flops. You definitely don't need anything that would be suitable for Antarctica.

He must have a very efficient ATP system that can convert fats to heat. Is it normal for a human to take 4 degree C wearing shorts, t-shirt and flip-flops? If not, then you may have just encountered a mutant (X-Men, lol)!

Likes Tom.G
seazal said:
He must have a very efficient ATP system that can convert fats to heat. Is it normal for a human to take 4 degree C wearing shorts, t-shirt and flip-flops?
Probably not normal, but he was a young guy, and probably not outside all that long. However, one time when I was in Montana in the winter, where it gets pretty cold, I walked around that outside of my inlaws' house when it was about -30 deg C, with about 15 cm. of snow on the ground. I was barefoot and wearing only a pair of shorts. My feet were a little cold by the time I got back inside the house.

Mark44 said:
Probably not normal, but he was a young guy, and probably not outside all that long. However, one time when I was in Montana in the winter, where it gets pretty cold, I walked around that outside of my inlaws' house when it was about -30 deg C, with about 15 cm. of snow on the ground. I was barefoot and wearing only a pair of shorts. My feet were a little cold by the time I got back inside the house.

I read some Yogi can sleep naked at snow. Is there any scientific studies how they did it? Also what exactly regulate our body temperature? How much is the role of ATP in it?

seazal said:
This an example of thermal jacket in amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JHX8XMQ/?tag=pfamazon01-20

But it doesn't seem to insulate better than 3 shirts and ordinary jacket. I need a single jacket that has insulation of 3 shirts plus ordinary jacket. What's next thicker to a themal?

Sorry, I meant thermal undergarments. Aka thermal underwear or long-johns. Pants + undershirt type.

seazal said:
I read some Yogi can sleep naked at snow. Is there any scientific studies how they did it? Also what exactly regulate our body temperature? How much is the role of ATP in it?

That's best left to another thread.

<< Mentor Note: The poster @seazal has started a new thread with his yogi question here: >>
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/what-exactly-produces-and-regulates-body-heat.962007/

Last edited by a moderator:
18° C is 64 F, using snow coat is a sure way of cooking yourself up.

I almost choked on my breakfast reading this. Thanks for making me laugh on this Monday morning. I needed it

I think he might have misremembered or misinterpreted the temperature range. I did that yesterday with the walk in freezer at my new job, I wore a light coat (light enough to be more like a sweatshirt) inside the freezer. To be fair though it was my second day there and first time in the freezer.

seazal said:

It doesn't work that way. You need multiple layers for efficient insulation. Typically you would wear thermals+2-3 other layers+outer jacket.
A jacket that could "replace" multiple layers would be way too tight fitting, would not be able to wick sweat away and it would also be very uncomfortable since you wouldn't be able to move properly.

This principle applies at any temperature, be it skiing in -20 degrees C (which I used to do as a kid) as well as in just a cold room,.
My step-son used to wear thermals (which we bought when visiting Sweden) underneath his school uniform for this very reason when he was little (in London)

1. What is the best type of insulation for a coat in snowy and mountaineering conditions?

The best type of insulation for a coat in snowy and mountaineering conditions is down. Down is a natural insulator that traps heat and provides excellent warmth-to-weight ratio. It is also highly compressible, making it easy to pack and carry on your mountaineering adventures.

2. Are there any alternatives to down insulation for snow and mountaineering coats?

Yes, there are alternative insulation options that can perform well in snowy and mountaineering conditions. These include synthetic insulation, which is often more affordable and can still provide good warmth and water resistance. Another option is wool, which is a natural insulator that can also retain heat when wet.

3. How important is the weight of the insulation in a snow and mountaineering coat?

The weight of the insulation is crucial in a snow and mountaineering coat. In these conditions, you will be carrying all your gear with you, so having a heavy coat can add unnecessary weight and make your climb more difficult. Look for lightweight insulation options that can still provide the warmth and protection you need.

4. Should I prioritize water resistance or breathability in my coat insulation for snow and mountaineering?

Both water resistance and breathability are essential factors to consider in your coat insulation for snow and mountaineering. Ideally, you want a coat that can keep you warm and dry while also allowing moisture and sweat to escape to avoid becoming damp and uncomfortable during your climb. Look for waterproof and breathable materials, or consider adding a waterproof layer over your insulation.

5. How often should I replace the insulation in my snow and mountaineering coat?

The frequency of insulation replacement depends on the type of insulation and how often you use your coat. Down insulation can last for many years with proper care, while synthetic insulation may need to be replaced more frequently. It's essential to regularly check your coat for any signs of wear or loss of insulation. If you notice significant loss of warmth, it may be time to replace the insulation or invest in a new coat.