Coefficient of Friction With only Time and Distance

In summary, a high school student in AP Physics 1 has created a formula for calculating the coefficient of kinetic/static friction between two objects using only distance and time. However, there may be some discrepancies in the formula, such as using initial kinetic energy instead of final kinetic energy. It is also recommended to have a reliable method for starting and stopping the clock and measuring the motive force. The student is advised to consider factors such as air resistance and shape of the object in real-world applications of the formula. Overall, further testing and verification is necessary to ensure the accuracy of the formula.
YarnMonkey
Im a high school student and am in AP Physics 1. I just created a formula for calculating the coefficient of kinetic/static friction between two objects using only distance and time (I don't have a way to measure Newtons). Is it correct and can it be used in the real world?

Attachments

• Calculate Coefficient of Friction With Only Time and Distance (1) (1) (1).pdf
    109.1 KB · Views: 686
Physics news on Phys.org
Everything looks good to me, with one exception. About midway you say "...and that the initial KE is 0", shouldn't it be "final KE is 0"? Since it comes to rest. You need to have a reliable method to start the clock and measure when/where you stop applying the motive force.

scottdave said:
Everything looks good to me, with one exception. About midway you say "...and that the initial KE is 0", shouldn't it be "final KE is 0"? Since it comes to rest. You need to have a reliable method to start the clock and measure when/where you stop applying the motive force.
I see what you mean. I think it is just a typo, because right underneath I retain the negative indicating that it is initial kinetic energy that should be used in the equation, not finale. Thx for your help and if there's anything else you see that may not be realistic feel free to tell me!

Also, I am imagining that you start the clock as soon as the impulse is applied to the object giving it an initial velocity and the clock stops when the object has come to a complete rest. Then you measure the distance between the initial position of the object and the finale position after it has come to a rest.

YarnMonkey said:
Also, I am imagining that you start the clock as soon as the impulse is applied to the object giving it an initial velocity and the clock stops when the object has come to a complete rest. Then you measure the distance between the initial position of the object and the finale position after it has come to a rest.
Hmm. I think the formulas will be more complex though. How much time is taken accelerating? How much distance while the force is applied?
The v used for Kinetic Energy is the maximum velocity (when you stop pushing). That should be when the clock starts for the time. If you want to start the clock when you start pushing, then you need to work out the forces acting during that time.

From a practical standpoint, a device could be manufactured which would accelerate up to a certain location, then let go. Like a crossbow or ballista, perhaps.

scottdave said:
From a practical standpoint, a device could be manufactured which would accelerate up to a certain location, then let go. Like a crossbow or ballista, perhaps.

To clarify, I am imagining that it would be like hitting a baseball, the amount of time during which the impulse is applied is insignificant and before it can even be measured the object already has a maximum initial velocity.
For example: I have a mass on a table, and i punch it. The time during which my hand is in contact with the mass is almost insignificant because the mass is done accelerating within fractions of a second. In other words, there is no force being consistently applied to the object other then friction and the impulse occurs within such a small fraction of a second that it is insignificant when calculated for.

So if the distance is small enough and the time is small enough, then you should get a good approximation value for the actual coefficient. It would be good to have another merhod of measuring so you could verify the results.

scottdave said:
So if the distance is small enough and the time is small enough, then you should get a good approximation value for the actual coefficient. It would be good to have another merhod of measuring so you could verify the results.
Thanks a lot. As a matter of fact I did test this equation using some of my homework questions and it did check out although I still wanted to check on physics-forums cause my homework isn't always completely realistic and I didn't know if i was leaving out something that I hadn't learned. (In physics 1 we don't learn how to calculate air resistance so for a falling block we can't calculate is actual downward acceleration).

Thanks a lot for all of your help!

If you do a lab experiment, like a falling object, the shape of the object affects how much air resistance there is. If it is the right shape and not falling for very long, the air resistance effect will be small compared to an object falling in a vacuum.

Air resistance calculations are very complex. That is why they try to keep things to assuming negligible air resistance in introductory Physics classes.

1. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of resistance between two surfaces in contact with each other. It is a dimensionless quantity and is represented by the Greek letter "µ".

2. How is the coefficient of friction calculated?

The coefficient of friction is calculated by dividing the force required to move an object over a surface by the weight of the object. This is expressed as µ = F/W, where F is the force and W is the weight.

3. How does time affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction remains constant over time as long as the surfaces in contact do not change. However, over time, the surfaces may wear or become smoother, which can affect the coefficient of friction.

4. How does distance affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is independent of distance. This means that no matter how far an object travels over a surface, the coefficient of friction will remain the same as long as the surfaces in contact do not change.

5. What are some factors that can affect the coefficient of friction?

Some factors that can affect the coefficient of friction include the texture and composition of the surfaces in contact, the amount of force applied, and the presence of any lubricants. Additionally, the temperature and humidity of the environment can also impact the coefficient of friction.