Coefficient of static friction

In summary: I'm not sure what the highest or lowest angle would be for an 8cm long object on a 30 cm long slope, but I imagine it would be pretty high.An 8 cm long object on a 30 cm long slope would have a pretty high angle.
AwsmAssassin
Warning: Posting template must be used in homework sections of Physics Forums.
I have to make 2 ramps of 30 cm long along with 2 objects(objects need to be 8 cm long). One must be slippery so that it has a low coefficient of friction and one needs to be sticky and have the highest coeffivient of friciton possible. Bassically we place object on ramp raise it from one side so that the highest/lowest angle is achieved for the sticky/slippery objects. so, I need 1 object that will be the "stickiest", and one that needs to be most "slippery". Any help is appreciated, we are supposed to use low budge items. I tried to research for this, but i can't seem to find a lot of information on low bugdet items :/
later edit : can't use objects that will disintegraate (water/ice) and the effects must be reproducilbe, aka, over and over and over again.
im sorry if this is a bit un professional post but I tried my best to explain it as well as I could

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you looked at http://blog.mechguru.com/machine-design/typical-coefficient-of-friction-values-for-common-materials/?

Last edited by a moderator:
one needs to be sticky and have the highest coeffivient of friciton possible

Perhaps...
Pencil erasers glued together to make one 8cm long (super glue should work)?
Sandpaper glued to wood block?

CWatters said:
Perhaps...
Pencil erasers glued together to make one 8cm long (super glue should work)?
Sandpaper glued to wood block?
Except, that's not friction. No normal force should mean no lateral force.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. A pencil eraser or sand paper has pretty high friction when resting on most surfaces.

CWatters said:
Perhaps I wasn't clear. A pencil eraser or sand paper has pretty high friction when resting on most surfaces.
Ah, I see what you mean. If a very high friction is achieved, the object will have to be very shallow, or it will simply tip away from the slope. I guess that's why you suggest gluing erasers together to make a long one.

The OP said they had to be 8cm long.

Related to Coefficient of static friction

1. What is the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction is a measure of the amount of force required to keep an object at rest when a force is applied to it. In other words, it is the ratio between the maximum force needed to move an object and the perpendicular force pressing the object against the surface it is resting on.

2. How is the coefficient of static friction determined?

The coefficient of static friction is determined experimentally by measuring the maximum force required to move an object and the perpendicular force applied on the object. The ratio of these two values gives the coefficient of static friction.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction is affected by the nature of the two surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the amount of force applied. It also depends on the angle at which the force is applied, known as the angle of friction.

4. How does the coefficient of static friction differ from the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of static friction applies to objects at rest, while the coefficient of kinetic friction applies to objects in motion. The coefficient of kinetic friction is generally lower than the coefficient of static friction because it takes less force to keep an object in motion than to start it moving.

5. Why is the coefficient of static friction important?

The coefficient of static friction is important in understanding the behavior of objects on surfaces. It helps engineers and scientists design structures and machines that can withstand and control forces and prevent objects from sliding or slipping. It is also important in determining the stability of objects on inclined surfaces.