Resolve the Recursion of Dickson polynomials

In summary, the expression for Dickson polynomials can be proved using the recurrence relation and induction, where the base case is n=0 and n=1 and the inductive hypothesis is that it holds for n and n-1. However, the recurrence can also be solved directly to show that the resulting expression is of the required form.
pawlo392
I am trying to prove the expression for Dickson polynomials:

$$D_n(x, a)=\sum_{i=0}^{\lfloor \frac{n}{2}\rfloor}d_{n,i}x^{n-2i}, \quad \text{where} \quad d_{n,i}=\frac{n}{n-i}{n-i\choose i}(-a)^i$$

I am supposed to use the recurrence relation:

$$D_n(x,a)=xD_{n-1}(x,a)-aD_{n-2}(x,a)$$

I have tried to use induction to prove this, but I am having trouble. Here's what I have so far:

Base case: For ##n=1##, we have:

$$D_1(x,a)=x$$

which matches the expression for ##D_n(x,a)## when ##n=1##. So the base case holds.

Inductive step: Assume that the expression for ##D_n(x,a)## holds for some ##n \geq 1##. We want to show that it also holds for ##n+1##.

From the recurrence relation, we have:

$$D_{n+1}(x,a) = xD_n(x,a) - aD_{n-1}(x,a)$$

Substituting the expression for ##D_n(x,a)## and ##D_{n-1}(x,a)##, we get:

\begin{align*}
D_{n+1}(x,a) &= xD_n(x,a) - aD_{n-1}(x,a) \\
&= x\sum_{i=0}^{\lfloor \frac{n}{2}\rfloor}d_{n,i}x^{n-2i} - a\sum_{i=0}^{\lfloor \frac{n-1}{2}\rfloor}d_{n-1,i}x^{n-1-2i} \\
&= \sum_{i=0}^{\lfloor \frac{n}{2}\rfloor}d_{n,i}x^{n-2i+1} - \sum_{i=0}^{\lfloor \frac{n-1}{2}\rfloor}d_{n-1,i}ax^{n-1-2i} \\
&= \sum_{i=0}^{\lfloor \frac{n}{2}\rfloor}d_{n,i}x^{n-2i+1} - \sum_{i=1}^{\lfloor \frac{n}{2}\rfloor}d_{n,i-1}ax^{n-2i+1} \\
\end{align*}

Now, I am stuck here and not sure how to proceed. Can someone please provide some guidance or hints on how to continue with the proof? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
pawlo392 said:
I am trying to prove the expression for Dickson polynomials:

$$D_n(x, a)=\sum_{i=0}^{\lfloor \frac{n}{2}\rfloor}d_{n,i}x^{n-2i}, \quad \text{where} \quad d_{n,i}=\frac{n}{n-i}{n-i\choose i}(-a)^i$$

I am supposed to use the recurrence relation:

$$D_n(x,a)=xD_{n-1}(x,a)-aD_{n-2}(x,a)$$

If you do use induction, then your base case is to show that the result holds for [itex]n = 0[/itex] and [itex]n = 1[/itex], and your inductive hypothesis is that if the result holds for [itex]n[/itex] and [itex]n-1[/itex] then it holds also for [itex]n + 1[/itex]. That will invole some manipulation of binomial coefficient identities.

However, there may be an easier way. The recurrence [tex]
D_n(x,a) = xD_{n-1}(x,a) - aD_{n-2}(x,a)[/tex] subject to [tex]D_0(x,a) = 2, \qquad D_1(x,a) = x[/tex] is a constant coefficient linear recurrence for [itex]D_n(x,a)[/itex] in terms of [itex]n[/itex]. It is straightforward to solve this recurrence and show directly that the resulting expression for [itex]D_n(x,a)[/itex] is of the required form.

1. What are Dickson polynomials?

Dickson polynomials are a type of polynomial that was discovered by Leonard Eugene Dickson in the early 20th century. They are a special type of polynomial that are used in algebraic number theory and have various applications in mathematics and computer science.

2. What is the recursion of Dickson polynomials?

The recursion of Dickson polynomials refers to the mathematical formula used to generate these polynomials. It is a recursive formula, meaning that each polynomial is defined in terms of the previous ones. This allows for the efficient calculation of these polynomials for different values of the variables.

3. How are Dickson polynomials used in mathematics?

Dickson polynomials have many applications in mathematics, particularly in algebraic number theory. They are used to study properties of algebraic numbers, as well as in the construction of finite fields and other algebraic structures. They also have applications in coding theory and cryptography.

4. What is the significance of resolving the recursion of Dickson polynomials?

Resolving the recursion of Dickson polynomials is an important problem in mathematics as it allows for the efficient calculation of these polynomials. This is useful in various applications, such as in the construction of finite fields and in cryptography. It also helps in understanding the properties and behavior of these polynomials.

5. What are some challenges in resolving the recursion of Dickson polynomials?

One of the main challenges in resolving the recursion of Dickson polynomials is finding an efficient algorithm that can calculate these polynomials for large values of the variables. Another challenge is understanding the properties and behavior of these polynomials, which can be quite complex. Additionally, there may be some limitations in terms of the precision and accuracy of the calculations.