When Should You Add Milk to Coffee for Optimal Temperature at Drinking Time?

• Thread starter karkas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coffee
In summary, the problem discusses the temperature of a cup of coffee in a room with a given function for temperature change. The objective is to determine the best time to add milk so that the coffee will have the highest possible temperature when it is ready to be consumed. The solution involves minimizing the rate of temperature change by lowering the initial temperature of the coffee.
karkas

Homework Statement

The coffee in a cup is at a temperature T(to) when t=to in a room that has temperature T1=20 degrees Celsius. The temperature of the coffee is found using the function:
[tex] T(t) = (T(t_0) - T_1) e^{(-\frac{t-t_0}{10})} + T_1 , t >= t_0 [/tex]

We add milk, so that the cup contains 90% aforementioned coffee and 10% milk. We are given that T(to) = 100 degrees and that we plan to drink the coffee at t=10. Refrigerated milk has 5 degree temperature. What's the best moment to add the milk so that when we decide to drink our coffee it has the highest possible temperature??

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

There are reasons why I'm having trouble figuring my way through the problem, and mostly it's because I haven't ever dealt with temperature of a mixture of liquids. I know that I must construct a function of time that should produce max at t=10 but that is not all. Is it correct to consider that temperature of the cup will be 0.9 T(t) and 0.1 * 5, like a friend proposed? I would very much appreciate a hint, thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Milk and coffee are mostly water so you can assume identical specific heats here. To compute the temperature of the mixture, mass average the temperatures.

T = (Mcoffee(T) + Mmilk(T))/(Mcoffee + Mmilk)
where Mmilk = .1(Mcoffee)

This will yield a slightly different result from what your friend suggested.

LawrenceC said:
Milk and coffee are mostly water so you can assume identical specific heats here. To compute the temperature of the mixture, mass average the temperatures.

T = (Mcoffee(T) + Mmilk(T))/(Mcoffee + Mmilk)
where Mmilk = .1(Mcoffee)

This will yield a slightly different result from what your friend suggested.

Karkas said:
We add milk, so that the cup contains 90% aforementioned coffee and 10% milk

actually I corrected the description, my mistake.

karkas said:

Homework Statement

The coffee in a cup is at a temperature T(to) when t=to in a room that has temperature T1=20 degrees Celsius. The temperature of the coffee is found using the function:

We add milk, so that the cup contains aforementioned coffee and 10% milk. We are given that T(to) = 100 degrees and that we plan to drink the coffee at t=10. Refrigerated milk has 5 degree temperature. What's the best moment to add the milk so that when we decide to drink our coffee it has the highest possible temperature??

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

There are reasons why I'm having trouble figuring my way through the problem, and mostly it's because I haven't ever dealt with temperature of a mixture of liquids. I know that I must construct a function of time that should produce max at t=10 but that is not all. Is it correct to consider that temperature of the cup will be 0.9 T(t) and 0.1 * 5, like a friend proposed? I would very much appreciate a hint, thanks!
The specific heat of coffee or milk should be the same as the specific heat of water and is temperature-independent in this temperature range.

To minimize the temperature drop over the time interval, you have to minimize the rate at which temperature changes. (this is proportional to the rate at which heat flows to the room).

So work out the change in temperature as a function of time and see how it depends on the initial temperature. It appears that [itex]\dot T \propto (T(t_0) - T_1) [/itex]. So how would you minimize the rate of temperature change (ie the rate at which heat flows to the room)?

AM

Thanks for the replies:

@Andrew Mason: You're suggesting I should minimize the rate of temperature change, that is T'(t), so I should consider T''(t) = 0?

Isn't it true that from t0 to t=10 the temperature of the content of the cup will go through 2 phases? From t0 till the point that we add the milk it will be T(t) and from that point till t=10 it will be the weighted average of T(t) and Tmilk.

How can we incorporate the time point that we add milk to the equation of temperature of the mixture? Will we change the time variable of T to t' , with t' being the point that we add the milk and then proceed to differentiate?

I hope my thoughts don't sound too scrambled...

karkas said:
Thanks for the replies:

@Andrew Mason: You're suggesting I should minimize the rate of temperature change, that is T'(t), so I should consider T''(t) = 0?
No. You minimize the rate of temperature change by making T(0) as low as possible. How would you do that in this problem? What can you do to lower T(0)?

AM

What is the "Coffee and Milk Problem"?

The "Coffee and Milk Problem" is a classic problem in mathematics and science that involves finding the ratio of coffee to milk in a mixture when given the total volume of the mixture and the individual volumes of coffee and milk used.

What is the significance of the "Coffee and Milk Problem"?

The "Coffee and Milk Problem" has real-world applications in fields such as chemistry, physics, and economics, where accurate measurements and ratios are necessary for experiments and calculations.

How do you solve the "Coffee and Milk Problem"?

To solve the "Coffee and Milk Problem", you can use a simple formula: Coffee Volume = Total Volume * (Coffee Ratio / Total Ratio), where the Coffee Ratio is the volume of coffee used and the Total Ratio is the sum of the volumes of coffee and milk used.

What are some variations of the "Coffee and Milk Problem"?

There are many variations of the "Coffee and Milk Problem", including problems with multiple mixtures, problems with changing ratios, and problems with unknown volumes. These variations can be solved using similar principles and formulas.

What are some real-world examples of the "Coffee and Milk Problem"?

The "Coffee and Milk Problem" can be seen in everyday situations, such as making a cup of coffee with a certain strength or making a cocktail with a specific alcohol content. It is also used in more complex scenarios, such as calculating the concentration of a solution in a laboratory experiment or determining the proper ratio of ingredients in a recipe.