Coffee Making Me Sick? A Bitter Reality

In summary, the person is having trouble drinking coffee because it is making them sick. They suggest trying different brands or blends, switching to tea, and taking antacids before drinking coffee.
Nope. I hate the stuff.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll have to try espresso turbo, I don't think any of my friends have an espresso maker but maybe one of my parents friends does. I actually mentioned that I couldn't drink coffee any more to my parents and apparently a long time ago my dad went through a period (about a year) where he could not drink the stuff without getting sick...but he is fine now so there is hope for me yet.

That is a neat website your friends have, they have some cool looking stuff on there.

On the plus side today at the farmers market they were giving samples of chai tea, I tried some and I really liked it. It was pretty sweet though so I don't know how much of it I could stand to drink at one time.

edit: Evo I know a few people that just cannot eat bananas without getting sick due to some sort of allergy. I wonder what is in them that causes it.

scorpa said:
edit: Evo I know a few people that just cannot eat bananas without getting sick due to some sort of allergy. I wonder what is in them that causes it.
No one seems to know. I have been unable to find anything online and my doctor just said "yeah, I've heard of that".

It's a huge cover up by the Chiquita Banana cartel. :devil:

scorpa said:
edit: I know a few people that just cannot eat bananas without getting sick due to some sort of allergy.

:smile: never heard of that in my life.

light_bulb said:
:smile: never heard of that in my life.
:devil: I have it.

Banana allergy (may be associated with sensitivity/allergy to latex) -

http://foodallergens.ifr.ac.uk/food.lasso?selected_food=5

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1399-3038.2004.00162.x?journalCode=pai

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12452211&dopt=Abstract
Banana is a frequent cause of food allergy, particularly in latex-sensitized patients.

http://www.allergy-clinic.co.uk/food_allergy_for_doctors.htm (middle of page - see Other Food-Pollen Allergic Reactions)
Ragweed allergic people may react to Melon and Banana

Safety

Bananas and Latex Allergy

Like avocados and chestnuts, bananas and plantain contain substances called chitinases that are associated with the latex-fruit allergy syndrome. There is strong evidence of the cross-reaction between latex and these foods. If you have a latex allergy, you may very likely be allergic to these foods as well.
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=7

Well apparently the NIH do not know or understand that there is an allergic response to bananas in some people.
Bananas can help relieve an upset stomach by stimulating the production of mucus from the stomach lining. The mucus creates a barrier between the stomach lining and the acidic gastric substances that cause heartburn and stomach upset.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/imagepages/9689.htm

Bananas are considered to be a bland food as are dry toast, clear soups, and gelatin.
Part of BRAT diet. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002118.htm

But that will not work if one has an allergy to bananas.

Thanks Astronuc! It's been hard finding information on it. Years ago when I first had a reaction, there was nothing to be found on it.

Evo said:
Thanks Astronuc! It's been hard finding information on it. Years ago when I first had a reaction, there was nothing to be found on it.
I'm not surprised. There still seems to be limited circulation of this type of information.

I agree with you on the lack of information. I was surprised that NIH does NOT yet include allergy to bananas. Their BRAT page should have a warning!

Last edited:
scorpa said:
On the plus side today at the farmers market they were giving samples of chai tea, I tried some and I really liked it. It was pretty sweet though so I don't know how much of it I could stand to drink at one time.

You can buy the tea and make it yourself. It's basically a spiced assam tea brewed in milk and sugar is added to sweeten it. You can add less sugar if you don't like it. A lot of people buy it already brewed in concentrate and just add milk or water, but I prefer to fresh brew it. Hmm...now I'm wishing I hadn't just put on another pot of coffee, because chai sounds really appealing now.

Moonbear said:
You can buy the tea and make it yourself. It's basically a spiced assam tea brewed in milk and sugar is added to sweeten it. You can add less sugar if you don't like it. A lot of people buy it already brewed in concentrate and just add milk or water, but I prefer to fresh brew it. Hmm...now I'm wishing I hadn't just put on another pot of coffee, because chai sounds really appealing now.

Yeah they were selling it as a liquid already so I guess it was already brewed in concentrate like you said. I looked on the internet and there are recipes for chai tea but they start off by saying 1) peel and finely chop a root of ginger 2) same for nutmeg 3) do this for about 15 other ingredients so I gave it up as not worth it. But if you can just buy spiced assam tea that would be much easier...I've never heard of that before so I hope the grocery store sells it.

The grocery store might sell it, since it's pretty popular. If not, send me a PM and I can direct you to an online site to buy it. That's where I order from, but they're pretty pricey, so you might do better in the grocery store if you're on a student budget. :wink:

Thanks Moonbear I'll look for it next time I am at the grocery store. I think I read somewhere Chai tea is an Indian thing and I happen to live near an Indian store that seems to deal in spices, and other such products so maybe I could find it there as well.

Now I'm having trouble drinking coffee. I can barely finish my first cup without feeling sloshy and queazy. :frown:

I wonder if Civet poop coffee would help?

you guys might be suffering from a bit of caffeine poisoning, a classic symptom of which is nausea. just check if you are also drinking a lot of soft drinks and/or energy drinks every day with coffee. it has happened to me before. too much caffeine makes me sick. i popped a vivarin or two once and had a cup of coffee after a few hours. Made me want to throw up real bad http://img.tranceaddict.com/smilies/new/0509/nervous.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
Now I'm having trouble drinking coffee. I can barely finish my first cup without feeling sloshy and queazy. :frown:

I wonder if Civet poop coffee would help?

Oh no not you to. Civet poop coffee doesn't sount terribly appealing haha.

omega_M said:
you guys might be suffering from a bit of caffeine poisoning, a classic symptom of which is nausea. just check if you are also drinking a lot of soft drinks and/or energy drinks every day with coffee. it has happened to me before. too much caffeine makes me sick. i popped a vivarin or two once and had a cup of coffee after a few hours. Made me want to throw up real bad http://img.tranceaddict.com/smilies/new/0509/nervous.gif
[/URL]

I rarely drink pop and when I used to drink coffee it was only a cup or 2 every few days. I defintely had the nausea though. It is weird.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
As in first cup in the morning at breakfast? Perhaps eating something would help.

I have never had coffee, and I only drink water (for about 5 years now). Definitely stay away from soda, that stuff is really bad for you.

I don't drink caffeinated soda or "power" drinks. But recently I can't finish my coffee. I feel like I just drank a gallon of liquid and feel queazy. :cry:

Scorpa, maybe our coffee has been tainted with melamine from China. :bugeye:

I love coffee, I hope this is just temporary.

Evo said:
I don't drink caffeinated soda or "power" drinks. But recently I can't finish my coffee. I feel like I just drank a gallon of liquid and feel queazy. :cry:

As Astronuc suggested, maybe you just need to eat something with your coffee in the morning? I've been running into that lately, where I wake up already feeling queasy and the coffee will only make it worse, and it's actually not because of what I've eaten, but because of what I haven't eaten (all that stomach acid and no food in there). This time of year, I don't eat as heavy of meals as in the winter; I end up enjoying more of the fresh vegetables coming into season instead of a lot of carbohydrates that I crave in winter, so I wake up much hungrier in the morning. A little food goes a long way toward helping (though, when feeling queasy, it's hard to convince yourself to eat that food, so I just nibble a little at a time until my stomach realizes this is a good thing for it).

Coffee and pain au chocolat is one of my fave breakfasts.